You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers praises Henderson

Guest LFD

Rodgers praises Henderson's determination to prove himself at Liverpool

Brendan Rodgers has praised the determination shown by Jordan Henderson to prove himself at Liverpool FC .

The 23-year-old was offered the chance to swap Anfield for Fulham last summer as a makeweight in a proposed deal which would have seen Clint Dempsey arrive on Merseyside.

But Henderson turned down the chance in order to fight for his place with the Reds.

Rodgers promised to help improve the former Sunderland midfielder if he stayed at Anfield.

And Henderson’s hard work has been rewarded with a recall to the England squad for the first time since the 2012 European Championships.

"I remember the conversation I had with him, bless him," recalled Rodgers.

"We were at the hotel and it was towards the end of the (transfer) window.

"I pulled him in and I told him: “Listen, I am not pushing you out but this offer has come

in.”

"But I got the response I wanted. He told me that he wanted to stay here and fight. I told him I would help him improve as a player and improve his game because he has got all the tools.

"At 23 years of age, he has got his whole career in front of him. It is thanks to his quality and professionalism that he is making marked improvements."

Henderson, who has five international caps, last played for the Three Lions on June 24, 2012 when England were knocked out of the Euros by Italy.

Rodgers believes the national side have recalled a much improved player.

"I just see a young player that is athletically good, technically strong," added the Liverpool manager.

"Tactically he is aware now of the game. He can participate in the game, he knows when to move inside and outside.

"Tactically his understanding of the game is much, much better.

"That is a massive credit to him because he is working very hard, listening and wanting to be a better player."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-brendan-rodgers-praises-6294614

I don 't like the other Henderson thread comparing him to Ramsey. It's silly, unfair and pointless. So I'm starting a new thread.

Wonder if that's what really happened regarding the Fulham offer, not sure if it is the version of events.

However, Henderson has come on leaps and bounds. Playing in his proper position has helped him a lot too. I just feel that he needs to have a bit more self belief and a bit stronger mentally. Hopefully he goes on to become a big player for us for years to come, I think he will.

Why?

Because it is a lazy tag that people still cling to.  

But he has shown great belief in his own ability showing willingness to stay and fight for his position at the club, force his way back into the team and I his mentality is spot on.

The one thing he needs to do is improve his finishing and that's composure more than anything else.

He loses his nerve in front of goal. Thats what people are referring to. He needs to grow a set when he has a scoring opportunity.

He has shown composure and good finishing ability.  The problem is people only remember the missed chances with him.  Wouldn't say he had any less composure than Coutinho for example, when shooting at goal - but we rarely hear it about him. 

I agree he needs to improve that area of his game.  But this whole, 'lacking confidence / mentality / belief' - I don't see it and I think he has proven it wrong showing loads of confidence and character.

Also, he passes the buck at times and fails to take responsibility too. If Gerrard is close by, he's give him the ball to make the pass Henderson should have made himself. He's doing it a lot less, but still does it. I just want  to see him express himself a bit more. He has fantastic technique and an unbelievable engine. He can also finish too, which he showed plenty of times, yet seems to bottle it in some circumstances.

I'm a fan of Henderson and believe he has the determination to succeed here.

• Upvote 1

Also, he passes the buck at times and fails to take responsibility too. If Gerrard is close by, he's give him the ball to make the pass Henderson should have made himself. He's doing it a lot less, but still does it. I just want  to see him express himself a bit more. He has fantastic technique and an unbelievable engine. He can also finish too, which he showed plenty of times, yet seems to bottle it in some circumstances.

I'm a fan of Henderson and believe he has the determination to succeed here.

I agree with all of this.

Also, he passes the buck at times and fails to take responsibility too. 

I completely disagree, but fair enough.

Playing easy passes or even passes backwards is not passing the buck and all the players do it.  It is not like that's all he does.  More lazy criticism, some of the perceptions from two years ago have stuck with some fans.

I completely disagree, but fair enough.

Playing easy passes or even passes backwards is not passing the buck and all the players do it.  It is not like that's all he does.  More lazy criticism, some of the perceptions from two years ago have stuck with some fans.

Obviously playing a backwards pass or a two yard pass is not passing the buck, anybody who has played football or is a football fan doesn't need that explained to them and I certainly do not.

But, when there is an incisive pass on, Henderson sometimes lacks the conviction to play it. You started a separate thread because you didn't like reading posts on the other thread, now you are getting your knickers in a twist on this one. You are missing out the parts where I praise him and getting uptight on criticism.

Henderson is a good to very young midfielder, he is far from the finished article at the minute. 

Obviously playing a backwards pass or a two yard pass is not passing the buck, anybody who has played football or is a football fan doesn't need that explained to them and I certainly do not.

But, when there is an incisive pass on, Henderson sometimes lacks the conviction to play it. You started a separate thread because you didn't like reading posts on the other thread, now you are getting your knickers in a twist on this one. You are missing out the parts where I praise him and getting uptight on criticism.

Henderson is a good to very young midfielder, he is far from the finished article at the minute. 

Hmmm... not so sure about that.

I didn't start this thread because I didn't like the opinions on the other thread.  Rodgers is praising Henderson and the other thread is a silly / pointless comparison between two very good midfielders.  He deserves a thread talking about him, not comparing him to Ramsey who is probably the best midfielder in the league at the moment.

I never said Henderson was the finished article, I just don't like lazy tags players get, especially if I think they are bullshit.

• Downvote 2

Hmmm... not so sure about that.

I didn't start this thread because I didn't like the opinions on the other thread.  Rodgers is praising Henderson and the other thread is a silly / pointless comparison between two very good midfielders.

I never said Henderson was the finished article, I just don't like lazy tags players get, especially if I think they are bullshit.

Not sure about what? That I do not need it explained to me?

Which is bigger?

LFD's hard-on for Henderson or TK's hard-on for Lucas?

I reckon it's a close run thing...

Similar career paths at Liverpool these two players have.  Both heavily criticised, then new managers tried to replace them (and attempted part-ex for Dempsey in Hendo's case) but both have come through this to hold down a place in the team.  Both on the fringes of their repsective international squads, knocking on the door for Brazil.  I could go on and probably will.  I bloody love Hendo, me. 

• Upvote 1