You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers praises Henderson

Guest LFD

You're saying the opinions haven't changed in two years. 

I'm not saying that, I think it is clear what I have said.

Thankfully now our fans are appreciating Henderson more as player.  He is better than he was two years ago, but he got wrongly written off and slated by the majority of our fans.  

Now most appreciate him, but you still get some lazy tags which are unjust about him.  

• Upvote 1

Why start a new thread if you cannot handle the slightest criticism? You more often than not ignore the positive points people make about Henderson, but pick on the negative bits. You're doing it again here. Maybe start a thread that only you can post in.

I have no problem with people saying their opinion, I just might not agree and will say so.

I am talking about the bits I disagree with, we know I agree that he is a good player and has a bright future.  

Similar career paths at Liverpool these two players have.  Both heavily criticised, then new managers tried to replace them (and attempted part-ex for Dempsey in Hendo's case) but both have come through this to hold down a place in the team.  Both on the fringes of their repsective international squads, knocking on the door for Brazil.  I could go on and probably will.  

To be honest, I think the criticism of Lucas has been over the top this year and the praise of Henderson has been the same. The answer lies somewhere in between the two. People willing Henderson to be great won't make it so, only he can do that, and maybe he will, but he still has a way to go. He seems like a lovely bloke, same as Lucas.

Similar career paths at Liverpool these two players have.  Both heavily criticised, then new managers tried to replace them (and attempted part-ex for Dempsey in Hendo's case) but both have come through this to hold down a place in the team.  Both on the fringes of their repsective international squads, knocking on the door for Brazil.  I could go on and probably will.  I bloody love Hendo, me.

Henderson's better than Lucas.

Similar career paths at Liverpool these two players have.  Both heavily criticised, then new managers tried to replace them (and attempted part-ex for Dempsey in Hendo's case) but both have come through this to hold down a place in the team.  Both on the fringes of their repsective international squads, knocking on the door for Brazil.  I could go on and probably will.  

Both are very similar in career paths. Henderson was not helped by Kenny playing him on the right early doors.

Lucas has shown enormous character, I'm not sure if Henderson got the same level of stick as Lucas. But I don't believe Rodgers story of events in that article posted about the offer for Hendo. Henderson has shown good character to establish himself as an important player for Liverpool FC at the minute.

I think he can and should be imposing himself on games a lot more and I think in the next 18 months he will. I think he has the right manager to guide him and help him improve even further. 

Hmmm... not so sure about that.

I didn't start this thread because I didn't like the opinions on the other thread.  Rodgers is praising Henderson and the other thread is a silly / pointless comparison between two very good midfielders.  He deserves a thread talking about him, not comparing him to Ramsey who is probably the best midfielder in the league at the moment.

I never said Henderson was the finished article, I just don't like lazy tags players get, especially if I think they are bullshit.

What did you mean by the part in bold, LFD?

Both are very similar in career paths. Henderson was not helped by Kenny playing him on the right early doors.

Lucas has shown enormous character, I'm not sure if Henderson got the same level of stick as Lucas. But I don't believe Rodgers story of events in that article posted about the offer for Hendo. Henderson has shown good character to establish himself as an important player for Liverpool FC at the minute.

I think he can and should be imposing himself on games a lot more and I think in the next 18 months he will. I think he has the right manager to guide him and help him improve even further. 

Henderson does get the odd groan when he gives it away needlessly in the ground but I think he's more accepted than Lucas was at the start.

He has ... to impose himself a bit more in games, I don't feel he does that enough.

He loses his nerve in front of goal. Thats what people are referring to. He needs to grow a set when he has a scoring opportunity.

He needs to impose himself rather than react to events. He will get better, I've no doubt.

I completely disagree,...more lazy criticism, some of the perceptions from two years ago have stuck with some fans.

Whenever I think of a midfielder who played with swagger, arrogance and self-belief, one who would impose himself on a game and take it by the scruff of the neck, I tend towards Graeme Souness and not Jordan Henderson.

Sorry LFD. (Braces for incoming neg)

Henderson does get the odd groan when he gives it away needlessly in the ground but I think he's more accepted than Lucas was at the start.

Yep, that's the feeling I get. I think he was getting more stick in the ground for hiding at times. That's a big thing that he has certainly improved on. He used to hide on the pitch a lot early in his Liverpool career.

To be honest, I think the criticism of Lucas has been over the top this year and the praise of Henderson has been the same. The answer lies somewhere in between the two. People willing Henderson to be great won't make it so, only he can do that, and maybe he will, but he still has a way to go. He seems like a lovely bloke, same as Lucas.

Criticism of Lucas is way OTT for me so agreed.  

Henderson I like as well.  Just my opinion but I think it would take one hell of a player to replace Henderson and the same with Lucas, would probably cost 50m plus with today's prices too.  

Whenever I think of a midfielder who played with swagger, arrogance and self-belief, one who would impose himself on a game and take it by the scruff of the neck, I tend towards Graeme Souness and not Jordan Henderson.

I think in the next year or two we will be talking about Henderson winning us games. He has not done that yet, but I think he will be a big player for us. He does need the swagger, but it's gradually coming. We've seen some signs of it this season.

Criticism of Lucas is way OTT for me so agreed.  

Henderson I like as well.  Just my opinion but I think it would take one hell of a player to replace Henderson and the same with Lucas, would probably cost 50m plus with today's prices too.  

I disagree a little bit. Price is dependent on who we bought from and how prominent a player they were. I think Lucas is harder to replace than Henderson. I really don't see it with Henderson. People always cite his 'athleticism' by which they mean he runs a lot, I need more than that from a midfielder in his position.

New question.

Which is bigger - stringvest's hatred of Lucas or LFD's hatred of Allen?

I don't hate Allen, he seems a nice guy and good pro.  

Just think he's very much fourth choice in the pecking order and probably isn't good enough, based on what we have seen.  He's got till the end of the season to prove me wrong.  If not, I will probably be calling for him to be sold in the summer, but we'll see how he gets on until then.

I'd pick Souness as well and many other players over Henderson.

Not sure why people think I feel Henderson is great, I have never said that.  He's a good player and one who is getting better all the time and he usually makes us a better team when he plays.