You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

Just got in from an 6 and half hour baseball game.

There was three rain delays and a hail storm snd watching the staff struggle with the tarp to cover the infield was ace.

They kept the beer sales going as well, thank fuck my daughters boyfriend is a teetoaler as he drove home.

Had an awesome eggplant curry and chicken satay but was seriously burping up that with the pilsner they had on offer.

Its minor league baseball but still pretty decent, and with parking and a cratefull, the eggplant and satay and anither snack it was under 80$...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Super Sub

Just watch a baseball game on ESPN and fuck the people who play it are weird. They all look like hillbillies or something with the beards, and why the fuck are they always spitting are they chewing tobacco or something. It also seems to be a huge advantage if you have a huge gut as it aids with swinish get the bat.

All in all though not bad sport, or at least better than anything else on TV atm.

• 1 month later...

Got a spare day in Cincinatti next Sunday so decided to go and see the Reds play the Mets. Can someone give me a quick summary of what I will actually be watching (how is it different from rounders?) and some tips on how to behave - so far I only know that I should shout Babababababooo like Cameron in Ferris Bueller

Also, how do I get shitloads of free barbecue by tailgating? Although I'm not sure that the Great American Baseball ground has much of a carpark

Got a spare day in Cincinatti next Sunday so decided to go and see the Reds play the Mets. Can someone give me a quick summary of what I will actually be watching (how is it different from rounders?) and some tips on how to behave - so far I only know that I should shout Babababababooo like Cameron in Ferris Bueller

Also, how do I get shitloads of free barbecue by tailgating? Although I'm not sure that the Great American Baseball ground has much of a carpark

The Mets are good and the Reds aren't this year.

• Upvote 1

The Mets are good and the Reds aren't this year.

Bollocks, I was planning on supporting the Reds as I'll be working there a fair bit. I'm having shit luck with my team choices at the moment, I managed to cheer against the winner at the ladies US Open last week(not even talking about the unmentionable)

• 1 month later...

Kansas City Royals clinched the World Series 4-1, with a 7-2 win over the Mets. I've watched very little baseball this year so can't say which teams have played the best baseball but going by the stats, it looks like the Royals more than earned it this year. They lost in the World Series last year, they had the best win/loss record in the American League this year, and a better win/loss record than the Mets.

• 7 months later...

We went to a Minor League game last summer: Hillsboro Hops, an A-Rated short season affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Every time we were in a big city the MLB team were away so that was our alternative, plus we live in Hillsborough, Sheffield and you know...hops, beer, etc. My first experience of a live game, really enjoyed the incredible family atmosphere, great beer and snacks and cheap tickets. Decided to give a MiLB.tv subscription a go, as the short season started last week. For £30 it's a steal, it's a sport my other half will actually watch and something we can make a Friday night of for a few months over the summer.

Don't have an MLB team, tempted to go for the D-Backs just for the affiliation to the Hops.

• Upvote 1

We went to a Minor League game last summer: Hillsboro Hops, an A-Rated short season affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Every time we were in a big city the MLB team were away so that was our alternative, plus we live in Hillsborough, Sheffield and you know...hops, beer, etc. My first experience of a live game, really enjoyed the incredible family atmosphere, great beer and snacks and cheap tickets. Decided to give a MiLB.tv subscription a go, as the short season started last week. For £30 it's a steal, it's a sport my other half will actually watch and something we can make a Friday night of for a few months over the summer.

Don't have an MLB team, tempted to go for the D-Backs just for the affiliation to the Hops.

Not a huge baseball fan but we have a team here called the Goldeyes. They sell a pilsner called Angry Fish ( a Goldeye is a type of fish found around here....they are like a smoked kipper). Its independant ball, meaning no MLB affiliation...the players are about AA level, some have had the cup of coffee in the majors.

Anyway, the pints are 5$ before first pitch and 6$ after, they have good selection of food (Indian, pizza, perogies, etc) and lots of old people go and they are ace...old people at baseball games will chat your ear off and are interesting with their stories. There is a main frieght train line that runs by the stadium and it adds to the feel of the place with trains rambling by.

Yeah, baseball is a great spectator sport. A little tedious to watch on tv in my opinion, but taking your kids/friends to watch a baseball game is almost always a great experience. 

Be ready to tolerate a lot of losing if you decide to support the D-Backs, though because the Giants and Dodgers almost always own their division.

Yeah, baseball is a great spectator sport. A little tedious to watch on tv in my opinion, but taking your kids/friends to watch a baseball game is almost always a great experience.

Watching baseball at the stadium is fantastic. Been lucky enough to have seen the Nats in Washington and the Rockies in Denver. A day in the sunshine and beer delivered to your seat. What more could you want? Oh, and some guys play rounders for a bit too.

• 3 months later...

So Big Papi bows out on a damp squib as the Red Sox are swept by the Indians. It was kind of like Stevie's final bow. I think the Red Sox mentally relaxed too much once they were guaranteed top spot in the AL East, and couldn't raise their game again when it mattered. They went into this play-off series without the momuntum required to kick on. The Indians and the Blue Jays especially had that momentum, and the winner of their ALCS will go on to the World Series.

Am I right in thinking that, club loyalties aside, people would like to see this finally be the Cubs' year?

So Big Papi bows out on a damp squib as the Red Sox are swept by the Indians. It was kind of like Stevie's final bow. I think the Red Sox mentally relaxed too much once they were guaranteed top spot in the AL East, and couldn't raise their game again when it mattered. They went into this play-off series without the momuntum required to kick on. The Indians and the Blue Jays especially had that momentum, and the winner of their ALCS will go on to the World Series.

Yep, you can't win 11 on the bounce to clinch the division, take your foot off the gas and lose the next 6 or 7 in a row with nothimg to play for and still expect to perform.

They didn't take their foot off the gas. This team is the strongest offense in the league but it's been shutdown for no reason too many times. Last night they were leaving too many balls that were right in the middle of the strike zone. If the pitching rotation was more stable then there wouldn't be such reliance on the bats. The core of the team is young and signed up for years so the future is looking good, so long as you don't look at the pitching mound.