You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Sterling is not the best young player in Europe and we ain't getting anything close to 60 mil.  

We should be getting more than £60 million if we do sell him.

Chelsea are being linked tonight.

Realistically City, Chelsea and Arsenal would go for him this summer if we did decide to sell him, anything less than £60 million would be a poor effort on our part.  

Realistically City, Chelsea and Arsenal would go for him this summer if we did decide to sell him, anything less than £60 million would be a poor effort on our part.  

Prepare to be disappointed cause he's going for half of that at most and that's only cause he's English.

Prepare to be disappointed cause he's going for half of that at most and that's only cause he's English.

Come on, mate.

You know that's not even close to being true.  I genuinely refuse to believe that you actually think this.  Barkley will go for 40-45m this summer, probably.  Or next summer, definitely.

Sterling is twice the player.  I don't think we'll sell him, but if we do it will be for miles more than 30m.  I suspect that in the end there will be rumours and rumours until he resigns for 120k/week in July, but if he does go the bidding will start at 50m and probably end nearer to 60m.

Fuck me, this is the Suarez thread from a couple of summers ago all over again.

Everyone falling over themselves to convince themselves Sterling isn't actually that good.

He's obviously not in Suarez's league but he's a very good player nonetheless and losing him would be a shitter on a number of levels.

• Upvote 5

Sterling is a very good player, but he's no where near the finished product £150k a week demands. His finishing is very poor as we've seen in any number of games, and his final ball isn't great either. But he's very good at attacking players and has an excellent ability to find and create space in tight areas. If he can improve the shooting and final ball then he could be excellent.

Buts that's the problem; he COULD be excellent. A £100k a week offer is probably more than he's worth now so the club offering him that shows we want to keep him. That terribly misjudged interview, which was no doubt his agents idea, shows it is just all about the money regardless if his protestations.

If we do agree to let him go, I think he might be surprised as to who actually bids for him. If he did go to Chelsea then I think he could find himself on the bench very quickly. After a few missed placed passes and poorly hit shoots show his inability to strike the ball cleanly when his body is not in a natural position (I.e. 50% of the time when running or shooting first time) players will get pissed off. For £150k a week the fans and his teammates will expect the finished product.

I personally think he wants out. There's been murmurings even when he was in the youth setup that him and his mother wanted to go back down south. That, and his agent wanting to go out on his own, I think has brought about this mess. We've offered more than enough. He's no where near the level of player we've lost in the past and we've moved on on. If he wants out that sell to the highest bidder and move on. But we should try and keep him before it comes to that.

Fuck me, this is the Suarez thread from a couple of summers ago all over again.

Everyone falling over themselves to convince themselves Sterling isn't actually that good.

He's obviously not in Suarez's league but he's a very good player nonetheless and losing him would be a shitter on a number of levels.

I have never bought into they hype with Sterling and have had that opinion since long before his contract became an issue. He is a decent young player with potential but he really isn't a top player right now and might never be. I'll put it this way if we were rumoured to be spending 40 million plus on him I wouldn't be happy at all.

We've seen some fantastic players leave over the years but this is a kid who is being given huge allowances on his performance levels most weeks because it's part of a development process. It really isn't the same as the Suarez situation because he is nowhere near as good and I don't think he ever will be.

• Upvote 1

Agree. If him and his agent are after superstar wages I don't think we're out of order asking superstar money for him. It cuts both ways.

He isn't going to Chelsea with Mourinho if he's slating Rodgers for his tactical rigidity, nor would Mourinho know what to do with a 20 year old player that still needs years to develop. So he wants to go back to London, he wants to play for a London based club above us, what part of this isn't obvious to you? 

He's even gone so far as too personally compliment said club in the video, i don't know what else to say.

Mourinho doesn't develop players he buys ready made. "Fact"

Looks like you were both correct. Oh, wait...........

Chelsea are poised to join the heavyweight battle for English football’s hottest property Raheem Sterling.

Chelsea have made discreet overtures about Sterling, despite Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insisting on Thursday that his 20-year-old striker is going nowhere this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3023748/Chelsea-join-Arsenal-Manchester-City-race-Raheem-Sterling-Brendan-Rodgers-insists-Liverpool-star-going-summer.html

Look, people who disbelieve everything every newspapers print are as foolish as those who believe everything every newspaper prints.

If people dont want to believe something in the papers, that's their choice. But, the idea chelsea wouldnt be interested in sterling is a bit naive in my opinion.

Dave said in his article where would sterling play in Real's team if they signed him. Maybe they wouldnt put him straight into the team. Maybe they'd use him sparingly and as the oh so over frequently stated 'impact sub'?

These clubs have shown you dont just buy a player to go straight into the team. Fuck, even we dont do that! But, the monied clubs do buy players for future potential or because they become available at the right time.

I dont know where he'll end up but, I do think interested clubs would be real, barca, bayern, psg, city, chelsea and arse. United could also be interested and dont think the last transfer between the clubs being back in the 60's would stop them either.

Chelsea would have bought him under Abrimovich's watch as he'd be a billy big bollocks signing, not Mourinho though IMO, can't see Spanish clubs wanting him, City possibly for the English quota as Milner looks to be on the way out.

Could even see the mancs going for him as they're all about image with their signings these days, buy my money is on arsenal. I reckon he's got a few mates in that dressing room plus I could see them putting a swap deal in place with a few players Rodgers might fancy plus cash.

I really do think the club is beyond reproach here, I don't think there's anything it can do to keep him, so I don't think it's about lack of ambition. He just doesn't want to play for us IMO.

• Upvote 3

Im not buying the arsenal link. I think that's a red herring thrown out by sterling to say 'look, arsenal have won no more than Liverpool recently but Im prepared to consider them if I get the money I want and can play in my favoured position.'

He wont go to arsenal because he knows they are miles away from winning the title and have no track record in the CL.

While the same could be said for city in the CL, pelligrini is probably history at the end of the season and, the club has the financial clout to become a better bet in the CL than arsenal.

If he goes to london, he'll go to chelsea in my opinion.

Im not buying the arsenal link. I think that's a red herring thrown out by sterling to say 'look, arsenal have won no more than Liverpool recently but Im prepared to consider them if I get the money I want and can play in my favoured position.'

He wont go to arsenal because he knows they are miles away from winning the title and have no track record in the CL.

While the same could be said for city in the CL, pelligrini is probably history at the end of the season and, the club has the financial clout to become a better bet in the CL than arsenal.

If he goes to london, he'll go to chelsea in my opinion.

That'd assuming he's arsed about trophies though. I suspect he wants the London scene and to play with his mates.

Why do some people find it hard to believe that players want both money and winners medals?

The thing which makes me personally suspect it's not about medals is his age.

He's been in the team for five minutes, been playing well for about half that time, is still breaking through with England, and is not old enough to remember the original Manhattan skyline.

We're still in with a shout of a trophy and top four, and we have spent huge amounts of money with no sign that's about to stop any time soon.

If he was 25 after a few years of it that'd be different, I'd actually agree with him, but not now. He's in the best place for his career, he gets games, he works under a manager who cut his teeth managing youth players, he's at a high profile club, it just doesn't stack up.

The only players who've done this are ones who carried us at times for years, Owen, McManaman, Suarez. Suarez left in his late 20s for a city where his family live and everyone speaks his language, after two years of trial by media. That made sense. This doesn't.

• Upvote 4

Why do some people find it hard to believe that players want both money and winners medals?

Exactly.

I think some people probably don't realise what sort of commitment it takes to become among the elite in any profession, let alone football. if he leaves, I now don't believe it'll be solely about money at all.

If he was 25 after a few years of it that'd be different, I'd actually agree with him, but not now. He's in the best place for his career, he gets games, he works under a manager who cut his teeth managing youth players, he's at a high profile club, it just doesn't stack up.

It doesnt stack up to you because your not raheem sterling. Knocking back 100 grand a week wouldnt stack up to you or me, either.

Sterling wants;

more money

gauranteed start in his favoured position

more money

to play in a team thats got a better than realistic chance of winning the title or the CL

more money.

• Upvote 1

It doesnt stack up to you because your not raheem sterling. Knocking back 100 grand a week wouldnt stack up to you or me, either.

Sterling wants;

more money

gauranteed start in his favoured position

more money

to play in a team thats got a better than realistic chance of winning the title or the CL

more money.

It doesn't stack up based on seeing what other players of his age and level usually do. It's unprecedented to my mind. Someone mentioned Pogba but he was barely getting games and wasn't playing in his home country