You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Having the telly on when people visit

Section_31

I think it's rude. You have to be present with the visitors and engage in conversation and so on.

Caveat: if it's a regular visitor, the sort who makes themselves right at home anyway, perhaps a family member or close friend, then I think at that point it's ok to leave the telly on, but you would still talk to them, perhaps just not in an undivided attention sort of way.

Personally I don't watch very much tv and if it's on it's for football or perhaps a film. Occasionally Mrs G is watching something, but then I'm reading or on here, while still being present but not fully engaged with whatever she might be watching.

Depenmds on a few factors 

- who is it

- whats on

- what time of day it is

- are they here to visit me

- have they got cunt kids with them

- is it raining

- are they male or female

- what mood am I in

- am I pissed or sober

Fuck them. American Pickers is on. 

• Upvote 1

Its only rude if you have 'anal bangers volume 7' on and yer nan or the priest pops in.

Priests are usually watching 'Banging 7 year olds anally volume 1' anyway so I wouldn't make an exception in their case.

Obviously if people are coming to watch something, like a sporting event then it stays on. A lot depends on what kind of house you live in and who the visitors are,. but generally if it's a visitor and they've come to talk to me, the TV goes off. 

It's easy for me though, I probably have my TV on for a couple of hours a week. 

Back when I was a nipper we had one of the first colour TVs in the neighbourhood, it was a coin operated one. We were otherwise very poor and if anyone (including my friends) called, the Tv would be switched to black and white so people didn't talk (she had a little cleaning job on the side, and in those days the DSS did house visits. Think 'child catcher'  (chitty chitty bang bang) looking blokes in suits.) 

I might be remembering this wrong, but I seem to recall having to watch a cup final in b/w because someone called during it. 

A bloke I know is a policeman in New Zealand.  His family origins are in Aintree.  A few years ago he travelled home to visit relatives, some of whom had never met him, though they obviously knew his mother etc.

He had arranged to visit his mum's family as he's got a treasured childhood photograph of him stood in their garden when he was a wee nipper.  He got in touch with his aunt who lives in the house and arranged to visit at 8pm one Wednesday.

He arrived at early, at 7.30, and the bloke who answered said his wife wasn't available and sent him over the road to the pub to wait for half an hour or so.  The bloke then came to get him about 8.05 and said that now Corrie had finished he could come over.

He was telling me this story and pointing out that "Pommes love Corrie, don't they?  11,000 miles, I'd travelled, and was full of emotion when I saw the house which was familiar to me because of that photograph!  I had tears in my eyes when I knocked at the door."