You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What are your expectations for the coming season ?

withnail71

Are they any different to what they would have been had we recruited Guardiola or Hiddink etc as our next manager ?

Will you be content with winning nothing and coming fifth , as long as we are playing attractive, attacking football ?

What will your reaction be if Rodgers does the sensible thing and moves Carra on , either into coaching or sells him ?

Will you be prepared to finish even lower in the league, if it means going backward in order to take two steps forward in future seasons ?

Will you be calling for Rodgers head if we are in the bottom half at christmas ?

Personally i have been very, very impressed with Brendan. I really think we have got a gem. He must, MUST, be given at least 3 seasons to even begin to turn this club around. I honestly think we are not far from being a top 3 team. I think we need a defensive midfielder, two attacking midfielders, and a striker.

I also think we need a bit of fucking luck. I hate to harp on about it, but last season was unbelievable. We were literally the width of a post away from being a champions league team.

I want to see Suso and Sterling given a real chance next season, and i would love to see Aquilani shine, i think he could be superb in a Rodgers style team.

The deadwood needs to be shipped out, unfortunately this will mean the end of Kuyt and Carra. Great servants to the club, but past ther best days.

I can,t wait for next season.

lets get behind the manager, the team, and the owners.

Work together, and i reckon we will be great again sooner than expected.

Onward and upward.

YNWA

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot will depend on what we do in the transfer market, and obviously what our competition does. As it stands right now i think we are just 2-3 players away from top 4.

I think the system Rodgers uses should benefit quite a few of our players. Our fullbacks, Lucas, Gerrard, Bellamy and Suarez. Suarez play a similar system with Uruguay and has done so with Ajax previously. Bellamy is class as a wide forward and Gerrard if he gets to play in the advanced attacking role, should thrive there.

Regarding Carra, there is no way in hell Rodgers will ship him out, and rightly so. His experience is worth a great deal, as is his attitude on the pitch, though i expect him to play far less this season, especially in how Rodgers likes short and quick passing at the back.

Guest San Don

I'd like to see Sterling starting a few LC games (assuming we get more than one) and be on the bench for PL games. Cant see him starting many if any PL games myself. Dont think Suso is ready for the first team yet either.

If we are to make a sustained challenge for 4th, we are going to need some experienced heads in the side and not youngster (yet).

TBH, after sacking off the King, I'll be very disappointed if we dont challenge for better than 5th this coming season but again, it depends who comes in and more importantly, who'll leave. I've still got a suspicion Suarez will leave before the window closes if we get a £30m bid for him.

I dont expect us to win any silver next season as I think the emphasis will be 4th or as near as possible (as it would surely have been with the King).

At the moment I'm hoping that we have a fairly settled formation and a regular starting eleven with players playing in positions that suit them.

Then I'm hoping to see us play a high line defensively and press the ball from the front. Would like to see Suarez play as one of the wider front three (assuming he sticks with 433) and another player brought in to play on the other flank who gets soals and a striker brought in as well who takes the starting spot.

Finally I'm looking forward to seeing Lucas back from injury and seeing Gerrard start most weeks. Also, I'd love to see at least one or two youngsters getting some game time regularly in the Europa.

They are my expectations. I think looking at league places and the like at this stage is foll hardy. Getting some consistency back and winning home games is the limit result wise I'm expecting

I expect us to convert more scoring opportunities into goals, thereby winning more matches than last season. I expect nothing less than this and I am hoping that it doesn't take 3 seasons for it to happen. I have no other expectations at the moment.

It's too early to say. Wait until the transfer business has been done.

Thats right , If we sign a pile of shit again my expectations will be non existant but if we get in some quality and get some pace into the team ill be expecting a run at 4th.

Who knows with the Cups , il'd quite happily jack all them off this season for a top 4 place.

minimum requirement for this club should always be to qualify for champions league football.

I don't think he'll get sacked if he doesn't get it in his first year but he'll have to at least do better than this premier league season.

I'd like us to be in the europa league after christmas, be in contention for 4th place for as long as possible and if we do well in the other cups that will be a bonus.

I expect better home form, hopefully equally better league form, lousy cup runs for the kids and a few hiccups on the way to establishing some kind of proper footballing identity that's pleasing to the eye. Year one of this supposed turnaround project, that'd do me.

So long as the football's good and i can see progress i'll be fairly happy.

I think people expecting big name signings need to lower their expectations. Dont give me the 'we are Liverpool' bollocks.

Truth is, we are not in the champions league, and we cant compete with City, Chelsea, Utd, and prob Arsenal on wages.

The big man is going to have to do some exceptional wheeling and dealing this summer.

I just want to see progress and a philosophy instilled into the club that I would have faith in.

That would mean a consistent style of play that we would stick to whether we're playing Wigan at home or Chelsea away.

It would mean having players brought in whose future at the club can get us excited.

I want, as a supporter, to be able to identify a clear vision for the club. It's a cliche but it rings true for every club.

Speaking more practically, if we were to sign some fairly young, talented players from abroad this summer, and we'd finish, say, 6th next season with some of those players having had a decent season as well as some of our own academy prospects getting more playing time than they did this season, all the while playing good, progressive football, I'd be happy.

It would show me that we're moving forward and have something to look forward to. It would make me confident that we could progress further next season until 3 or 4 years from now, we might be title challenge material.

Real progress means you can actually see a curve.

I love Kenny but he lost my faith when he took the formula that worked for us at the back end of 10-11 and turned his back on it in the summer by signing players like Downing, Adam and Henderson who were clearly brought in to implement a different, more archaic football philosophy.

We simply went backwards, not only finishing lower than the season before but also we've actually managed to spend a considerable outlay only to end up with a more limited, less talented XI.

Replacing a player of Maxi Rodriguez's 'type' with the type of Stewart Downing was not something I wanted to see become a long term pattern at the club. Same for Adam-Meireles.

If we don't expect 4th then our standards have really dropped.

I remember a few years ago people were getting grief for lowering expectations by saying we couldn't win the league.

Credit to FSG for succeeding where Purslow and Hodgson failed. They're world class operators.

Guest San Don
I think people expecting big name signings need to lower their expectations. Dont give me the 'we are Liverpool' bollocks.

Truth is, we are not in the champions league, and we cant compete with City, Chelsea, Utd, and prob Arsenal on wages.

The big man is going to have to do some exceptional wheeling and dealing this summer.

I think its more a question of not wanting to compete with city and co on wages not cannot.

Rodgers is going to be expected to sign players for less than people's expectations ie no £15m - £20m signings either.

in what way is it FSG's fault? they've backed with big funds, the manager and team failed so they've tried to solve it

It's really not worth going into, but the latest theory is that they don't want the club to succeed. FSG have rigged the managerial race and how it was reported in the press, so we'll accept a manager on the basis he isn't Martinez, who was put in place to undermine the club's ambition, cleverly pushing all the star players on big wages out of the door and leaving Mr Henry cackling and stroking a white cat while we all accept we are now essentially Aston Villa, happy in mid-table.

It handily misses out the fact that they've spent large amounts on severance for those who didn't meet their targets, that the price paid for the club would look innordinate if they intended us to reside in mid-table and they could have carried on as is and forced Kenny to get better performance out of his signings from last summer which would have been a safe option with the absolute minimal outlay.

Everyone's on edge, and that's usually when the conspiracy theories start to rise.

Guest San Don
It's really not worth going into' date=' but the latest theory is that they don't want the club to succeed. FSG have rigged the managerial race and how it was reported in the press, so we'll accept a manager on the basis he isn't Martinez, who was put in place to undermine the club's ambition, cleverly pushing all the star players on big wages out of the door and leaving Mr Henry cackling and stroking a white cat while we all accept we are now essentially Aston Villa, happy in mid-table.

It handily misses out the fact that they've spent large amounts on severance for those who didn't meet their targets, that the price paid for the club would look innordinate if they intended us to reside in mid-table and they could have carried on as is and forced Kenny to get better performance out of his signings from last summer which would have been a safe option with the absolute minimal outlay.

Everyone's on edge, and that's usually when the conspiracy theories start to rise.[/quote']

That has to be the conspiracy theory of the decade!