You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny v Martinez

Ive got no idea how to do a poll but my question is this?

If we knew that Kenny was being replaced by Martinez in this pre season and we still dont for sure,how many people would have opted for Kenny to stay a bit longer?

I wanted Kenny to stay a bit longer but would have understood that if things hadnt improved by xmas that he would have been sacked then instead of now anyway.

Thoughts please folks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the King, as I think we all do but we should move on.

Nobody will compare with him, nobody from Martinez, to Pep.

Whoever gets the post, an opportunity of a lifetime, I will be fully behind him.

I was never behind Roy, as quite frankly, he was an arse, but I will back and most importantly be patient with the new guy and his team.

- any update on the Steve Clarke situation, is that door closed or is it up to the new manager?

All those that were so keen to get rid of the King, I hope don't get too upset when we fall further behind. Massive pressure on FSG to get this right. I don't personally hold much faith although RM will get my full support from day one if appointed. We have to as a fanbase get fully behind whoever is chosen.

Were there many who wanted Kenny out?

Thought most accepted we'd had a shit season but he deserved a chance to put it right.

Was always a worry that if we got rid we'd get someone shit in, as the owners don't know anything about football. I'll admit I'd didn't realise we'd look this clueless, and have fucking Brendan Rodgers telling us where to go.

Thought most accepted we'd had a shit season but he deserved a chance to put it right.

Was always a worry that if we got rid we'd get someone shit in, as the owners don't know anything about football. I'll admit I'd didn't realise we'd look this clueless, and have fucking Brendan Rodgers telling us where to go.

American owners, manager with record of winning trophies sacked, new manager with laughable cv. Sound familiar? I blame Moores. And Parry.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Kenny over most of the 'contenders', to be honest. What's seemingly about to happen is going to make the Souness era look like a golden age....

There's quite a few combinations we've been linked with that I would have taken over Kenny/Comolli. How reliable those links are I've no idea.

In fact, the only thing we know is that Martinez has met with John W Henry. That's panic station shit, but I still hold out hope we might end up with a better manager than him. A Van Gaal DoF appointment might work.

I do get what you mean - I kept saying that if Kenny had to go, I'd accept it IF we had a better manager lined up. Sorry to bring him into another thread but there are really parallels with Rafa's depature - the cracking football played towards the end of the season before their last, followed by a poor summer transfer window that included the departure of an Iberian midfielder who was a part of those great performances, and the inevitable regression in the league that followed. And when Rafa went, I was of an identical opinion of "I want him to stay based on what he's done in the past, to prove this season wasn't a blip, but if his time's up, fine so long as we've got someone better to come in..."

And of course, the rest is histowy.

It's probably harsh to compare Martinez to Hodgson in many ways - young and largely unproven rather than old and proven shite, but the one parallel is that neither have the air of a manager that is better than the one we already had before them. Hodgson proved us spectacularly right, assuming Martinez does get the job I'll keep an open mind and hope to fuck he proves us wrong, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

There was a vocal few, who spent their time picking out hate figures amongst the players Kenny brought in, questioning whether he should be allowed to spend any money, "humorously" pointing out we were destined to sign shit players this year under Kenny, undermining a dual cup run which brought with it our first silverware in six years and only included one lost game as merely "beating Cardiff on penalties", and revelling in just about everything negative that could be found.

Did they say specifically they wanted Kenny gone? No.

The same select few will be the most vocal critics of the next manager though, they've probably already bookmarked the Martinez thread for fun.

Some of the names guessed at like Van Gaal and Capello are the kind of names we expect to be linked to a club of our stature yet we keep coming back to a manager whose claim to fame is to keep avoiding relegation while getting hammered by the big teams on a regular basis.

Until these season i think Utd averaged 3-4 goals per game v Wigan.

No contest its Kenny all over! Does anyone really see Martinez getting more out of adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll than the man that signed them? I don't! We could be in deep shit next season the Rafa-Hodgson/Kenny-Martinez comparison is valid!

Every poll on this and other Liverpool forums had us comfortably finishing in the top 4 last season, if not winning the title. Only the most pessimistic members of our fan base said we'd be 5th and not even the most negative cunt on the planet thought we'd end up behind the likes of Newcastle and Everton in 8th.

The young lad in me who grew up with pictures of Kenny Dalglish on his wall is gutted he was sacked, but the bloke who had to witness our worst league campaign in decades last season hoped more than believed he was going to set things right in the coming months.

As much as I didn't want Kenny sacked I don't think it's without justification that he was and while Martinez wouldn't have been my first choice as his replacement, I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself if he gets the job.

The biggest insult to Kenny would be to have sacked him for the sake of bringing in someone like Martinez.

Not so long ago, there was so much reluctance to sack Roy Evans that the world cup winning mastermind was brought in initially as joint-manager. Ill-fated for sure, but just shows how much respect the boot room managers used to have. Now a serial relegation survivor will do..

The biggest worry is from what the public eye know,they have interviewed Martinez and been knocked back by managers of other clubs.

This to them was planned (to remove Kenny) for how long.

If they had a plan, day 1 would have been the sacking of current manager.

Day 2 would have been initial talks with the man they want.

Martinez name was mud only 2-3 months ago (likeable guy certainly) but still after 30 PL games, were Wigan not bottom? Congratulations for a quite incredible run for the last 8 games when your players were fighting for pride, survival and their salary.

But to become manager of, one of the biggest clubs in the world?

I have absolutely nothing against Martinez and will support him but if he gets the job, then our owners look clueless.