You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

Player power is alive and well at Liverpool, and it's dangerous.

Once they become the constant, they then believe they have more right tobe happy than the manager.

Untied dnt have that problem withholder players because the manager has been the constant.

Same with Arsenal.

We see this player power come in with teams like us and Chelsea because of how big a profile these players are in this country, whereas someone like Ledley King at Spurs doesn't have the same power at Spurs for example.

Raul was a famous one at Madrid, and they listened to him for a long time before finally having enough. That put all the others in their place, like Casillas.

I'm not at all happy with the sounds I hear about Carra and Gerrard, and I wouldn't indulge it, but this is why you need a strong and intelligent CEO to mediate between players and managers, or to make that big decision to sell. Parry was their mate, and that was fatal to the club.

I love Gerrard and Carra, but I love this club winning trophies more.

I never credited you with a complete absence of a sense of humour.

While you're on the subject though, you may be keen to know that Parry brought KD back. A welcome PR move, given the shit that was flying around, and also a contingency plan should any of Rafa's grumblings turn into actions. How he ended up at the academy is anyone's guess.

Are you sure about that? Wasn't Parry leaving by the time Kenny was appointed? So it makes little sense to me that Parry was making decisions when he was on the verge of leaving.

Player power is alive and well at Liverpool, and it's dangerous.

Once they become the constant, they then believe they have more right tobe happy than the manager.

Untied dnt have that problem withholder players because the manager has been the constant.

Same with Arsenal.

We see this player power come in with teams like us and Chelsea because of how big a profile these players are in this country, whereas someone like Ledley King at Spurs doesn't have the same power at Spurs for example.

Raul was a famous one at Madrid, and they listened to him for a long time before finally having enough. That put all the others in their place, like Casillas.

I'm not at all happy with the sounds I hear about Carra and Gerrard, and I wouldn't indulge it, but this is why you need a strong and intelligent CEO to mediate between players and managers, or to make that big decision to sell. Parry was their mate, and that was fatal to the club.

I love Gerrard and Carra, but I love this club winning trophies more.

This is the problem with this debate. We're debating innuendo, rumours and hunches which isn't really the basis of a credible discussion. Another issue is that senior players is a euphemism for Gerrard & Carragher, which means you know who will be along shortly to accuse people of hating scousers and that will be the end of that.

How do you think the players will react to Michael Laudrup being our next manager? If he is.

Just asking like.

Depends, if Carra and Gerrard are starters every week then they'll be happy with him, regardless of results.

If they don't play and we go through a tough run, then they'll assume it's because the manager is shit and they need to be in the side every week.

The players should be ecstatic to have a legend like him at the club, and they shouldn't have a say in it. At all.

One need only see Gerrard selection as England captain to see how players have power over managers these days.

It's fucking debatable that Gerrard deserves a place in the squad after the last two years he's posted as a player, let alone be named captain ahead of players like Hart, Parker and Lampard.

If you're telling me that Gerrards selection as captain is down to his ability to lead and influence games at the highest level at present, then you're trolling.

He's liked in the Hodgson household, for quite obvious reasons IMHO.

I'll never really forgive him for that head shake when Torres was subbed. Oh YOU know best do you Steven?

If it wasn't for Rafa the he'd be retiring in a couple of years time without that European Cup winners medal, because Alonso and Garcia were instrumental in getting us there.

Fucking head shaking...fucking manly that, didn't see you shaking your head much under Hodgson either lad when he paired you with Poulson.

This is the problem with this debate. We're debating innuendo, rumours and hunches which isn't really the basis of a credible discussion. Another issue is that senior players is a euphemism for Gerrard & Carragher, which means you know who will be along shortly to accuse people of hating scousers and that will be the end of that.

I have to admit I'm pretty shocked people haven't been sapped of the will to endlessly regurgitate the same shit. It's asylumesque.

Depends, if Carra and Gerrard are starters every week then they'll be happy with him, regardless of results.

If they don't play and we go through a tough run, then they'll assume it's because the manager is shit and they need to be in the side every week.

The players should be ecstatic to have a legend like him at the club, and they shouldn't have a say in it. At all.

One need only see Gerrard selection as England captain to see how players have power over managers these days.

It's fucking debatable that Gerrard deserves a place in the squad after the last two years he's posted as a player, let alone be named captain ahead of players like Hart, Parker and Lampard.

If you're telling me that Gerrards selection as captain is down to his ability to lead and influence games at the highest level at present, then you're trolling.

I'll never really forgive him for that head shake when Torres was subbed. Oh YOU know best do you Steven?

If it wasn't for Rafa the he'd be retiring in a couple of years time without that European Cup winners medal, because Alonso and Garcia were instrumental in getting us there.

Fucking head shaking...fucking manly that, didn't see you shaking your head much under Hodgson either lad when he paired you with Poulson.

I agree they should have no say in who gets the job but why should they be ecstatic at Laudrup? What's he done as a manager?

There aren't a queue of journos willing to sever ties with those two by printing a negative story, so all we will ever have is rumour and innuendo.

That head shake said it all for me.

In fact, his shitty attitude all of that season said everything.

I agree they should have no say in who gets the job but why should they be ecstatic at Laudrup? What's he done as a manager?

Why should you, or I, give a flying fuck if they are 'happy' with Laudrup?

Firstly, their opinion of what constitutes a good manager seems to be based around which one makes them the nicest cup of tea in the morning.

Secondly, we're not exactly asking them to work under Idi Amin.

Grow up and do your fucking jobs like adults. You're not Cruyff, you're not even Neeskens, so stop thinking you're both footballing geniuses and accept the fact that you've never won a league title, in your entire careers. Ouch, eh?

It's about application, ability and intelligence, and it's very rare that you've had all three at the same time for any sustained period.

Define ' a section' of the players.

My guess is Gerrard, Carra, and those players unhappy with their playing time, who latched on to those two.

I think the sale of Alonso brought it all down.

Havent read all thread but if this has not been answered then this seems to be the reason why.

It was to do with a interview Benitez did with the bbc I think.

He was asked along the lines of why had Liverpool lost think it was 2 out of the first games.

The question was put something like is the reason you have lost these games down to the system you play to.

Instead of Rafa saying the obvious like it might have something to do with it but we will analyze the games and see what the problem is he didnt.

Even Rafas most ardent fans have to admit the guy takes no blame in any way ever directed at him.

So he replied about Gerrard not playing to his usual standard and continuing it adding I think Steven even knows this to.

He went on to say also the senior players should be taking more responsibility in games and there not,they all know how to play to the systems we use etc etc.

Thats what is supposed to of been the cause of the players being pissed off with Rafa,because he took none of the blame whatsoever and Blamed Gerrard mainly and then the rest of the players.

There was already unrest with him anyway with Alonsos leaving.

Thats what i can remember anyway basically and it does tie in with what we seen happening with team performances and what was being reported at the time about him losing the dressing room.

No doubt it will all comeout in a players autobiography one day about what happend.

you love him. but you really love rafa. Which is fine, btw.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How is Rafa a proven winner, he won 2 out of the 26 competitions he entered as Liverpool manager, thats sounds more like a proven loser to me.

In which case, nearly every manager to be involved is a loser.

How is Rafa a proven winner, he won 2 out of the 26 competitions he entered as Liverpool manager, thats sounds more like a proven loser to me.

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on here and that says a lot because I've read a fair chunk of Brownie's 20,000.

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on here and that says a lot because I've read a fair chunk of Brownie's 20,000.

I like reading your posts Mr T because I read them aloud in the Mr T voice. That wasn't one of your best. Fair point about Brownie though.

There aren't a queue of journos willing to sever ties with those two by printing a negative story, so all we will ever have is rumour and innuendo.

That head shake said it all for me.

In fact, his shitty attitude all of that season said everything.

Carragher has no problem with Rafa as this recent extract from an interview shows:-

“I don't think we're the type of team that could just go out and spend £200m like Manchester City or Chelsea can, and you've virtually guaranteed yourself a good chance of winning the title. I think we have to build a little bit slower than that. Let's try and get back in that top four, then once you cement your place there, you go again, as we did with Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez. We were in the Champions League for a couple of years and then had that tilt at the title and just fell short. At the moment the task is to try and get back into that top four.”

Rafa and SG have also said they had no problem with each other, only respect.

Ladbrokes have now closed there book till the morning with Rijkaard still at 11/4.

Two other firms have also cut his odds but only to 7/1 and 15/2.

Either somebody has put a wheelbarrow full of cash on him at ladbrokes or theres something going around about him,that have made them slash his odds so much.