You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rightly so. He's (you are a he, arent you, D?) looking for a preventative...not something to treat the damage afterwards.

Yeah. And since when were you a cyclist!!!!!! (I guess that's aimed at Lifetime Fan)

My apologies, though, I forgot to name check the Cetavlex as a treatment for the chafing. It does work. I know

Edit. Just heading out now

Yes to both. I am indeed male and it is a preventative cream I'm looking for. I may find a small tube of something locally for immediate use, but longer term, a larger volume tub is needed. Presumably, Cetavlex will be available in a local pharmacy too. Thanks for the nod on that.

It'll probably be a week or so before things settle back to normal down there. Then I can start kicking on. I keep going to pull the brakes as they are on the flat bars of the hybrid, so that's something else I need to relearn. A modest 30K covered yesterday on the maiden voyage, some of which was around a specially designed cycle path for criterium racing at a local council park. There was an obvious need to go extremely leisurely around the paths of the park with kids and adults making random unpredictable movements at zero notice. This led to hearing what I thought to be 'chain rattle' which had me baffled for a time - head lowered to listen and look where it was happening. All to no avail... as it turned out, to my great relief, to be the assorted junk in the saddle bag which was the source of the disturbing noise.

Yes to both. I am indeed male and it is a preventative cream I'm looking for. I may find a small tube of something locally for immediate use' date=' but longer term, a larger volume tub is needed. Presumably, Cetavlex will be available in a local pharmacy too. Thanks for the nod on that.

It'll probably be a week or so before things settle back to normal down there. Then I can start kicking on. I keep going to pull the brakes as they are on the flat bars of the hybrid, so that's something else I need to relearn. A modest 30K covered yesterday on the maiden voyage, some of which was around a specially designed cycle path for criterium racing at a local council park. There was an obvious need to go extremely leisurely around the paths of the park with kids and adults making random unpredictable movements at zero notice. This led to hearing what I thought to be 'chain rattle' which had me baffled for a time - head lowered to listen and look where it was happening. All to no avail... as it turned out, to my great relief, to be the assorted junk in the saddle bag which was the source of the disturbing noise.[/quote']

Cetavlex is not stocked that widely but the pharmacy in my local Waitrose ordered it up for me and got it in for later that day!

The brake thing is just like when you find yourself driving a car with the indicator and windscreen wipers on the opposite side from usual. Your brain will soon adjust to it.

Cycling is a real opener as to how others use mixed use paths. You didnt mention dogs there, though. They and their owners really are unpredictable.

30k is a decent distance for an inaugural ride....and may even account for your discomfort today....your butt just wont be used to that kind of a hammering.

If you have a phone/GPS get yourself on Strava so I can spy on you. Nowt wrong with a little healthy competition!

And, yes, the dig was aimed at him

I do have Strava, but for the moment, I'll be keeping things private. Just like my arse taking a hammering like that - deffo something I'd want to be keeping private!

Speaking of keeping things private on Strava, have you seen this?

Lock your GPS location on Strava etc.

There’s a thief out there who wants your bike, and you could be making it very easy for them. Here’s how to lock down your privacy on Strava.

Everyone’s at it these days – recording rides with GPS, either on a smartphone app or better still, on a dedicated device like a Garmin. Sharing your achievements with friends via social networks has become the norm, popularised by sites like MapMyRide. Apart from annoying the people who are jealous that they can’t be arsed to get off the sofa don’t share your enthusiasm, what harm can it do?

More than you think, if recent reports are anything to go by.

Thieves are using sites with GPS data to determine the likely storage locations of expensive bikes.

To guard yourself against this kind of thing, you need to lock down your security settings. The video below shows you a cool feature in Strava which allows you to set up a blind perimeter around specific locations. Your rides will still track as the correct distance, but people won’t see the exact start and end points of your rides.

[YOUTUBE]j7CsWT3MA_M[/YOUTUBE]

I do have Strava' date=' but for the moment, I'll be keeping things private. Just like my arse taking a hammering like that - deffo something I'd want to be keeping private!

[b']

Speaking of keeping things private on Strava, have you seen this?[/b]

Lock your GPS location on Strava etc.

There’s a thief out there who wants your bike, and you could be making it very easy for them. Here’s how to lock down your privacy on Strava.

Everyone’s at it these days – recording rides with GPS, either on a smartphone app or better still, on a dedicated device like a Garmin. Sharing your achievements with friends via social networks has become the norm, popularised by sites like MapMyRide. Apart from annoying the people who are jealous that they can’t be arsed to get off the sofa don’t share your enthusiasm, what harm can it do?

More than you think, if recent reports are anything to go by.

Thieves are using sites with GPS data to determine the likely storage locations of expensive bikes.

To guard yourself against this kind of thing, you need to lock down your security settings. The video below shows you a cool feature in Strava which allows you to set up a blind perimeter around specific locations. Your rides will still track as the correct distance, but people won’t see the exact start and end points of your rides.

[YOUTUBE]j7CsWT3MA_M[/YOUTUBE]

Funny you should say this because I did have the security setting on and had vaguely registered that the shaded radius around my home had disappeared. Just checked now and this is the case so I need to reset it. Thanks.

And you're a big chicken, by the way, keeping your rides to yourself. Consider this is your starting point; wouldnt you want (everyone) to see your progress?

Funny you should say this because I did have the security setting on and had vaguely registered that the shaded radius around my home had disappeared. Just checked now and this is the case so I need to reset it. Thanks.

It turned out that the security radius was still in place but I've also closed down my activity feed to all but approved users. Belt and braces, eh?

Getting stuck into 4 weeks good hard training for an 180k charity cycle on July 6th.

Haven't been on the bike for a while, but have been jogging. Hopefully that futness will stand to me and I'll get the hill miles into the legs over the next month.

Gonna do it whether I'm prepared or not. Might walk the last 10k, but funk it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again the only way to get over a sore arse is to ride more. Creams and padding help but they only go so far and after that you just have to toughen up.

From past experience, I totally agree.

Thanks for the Strava rep' date=' Vlad. How are you getting on?[/quote']

I was chuffed with a 13 miler today including conquering a hill which I embarrassingly only got half the way up a couple of weeks ago.

Got to say that I can understand those of you who have bought road bikes as the lack of somewhere to hold onto on the handlebars to improve bodyshape and aerodynamics is a bit of a pain on a mountain bike.

Are there some attachments I could add on to help?

PS, great effort to cover 64 miles Cath, you should be well pleased.

I was chuffed with a 13 miler today including conquering a hill which I embarrassingly only got half the way up a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly. That's just how I started. There used to be sections of rides that I dreaded but now I'm getting up them like they're not there (some of them anyway). That's what I love about Strava....watching the improvement in my own times.

Got to say that I can understand those of you who have bought road bikes as the lack of somewhere to hold onto on the handlebars to improve bodyshape and aerodynamics is a bit of a pain on a mountain bike.

Are there some attachments I could add on to help?

PS, great effort to cover 64 miles Cath, you should be well pleased.

I've added these to my hybrid. Helps a little when slogging up a long hill just to change posture for a bit.

Christ I'd forgotten how tough this can be.

First time in almost a year on the bike last night. 20 miles felt like a ton. Not that I've done that yet.

Got overtaken at one point by and old man with fully loaded panniers. Embarrassing.

It is going to take a while to get up to 100.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at this little fella go towards the end. He'd burn you off Anny by the sounds of it.

1319650684_monkey_riding_a_bike.gif

All joking aside, fair play for taking it up again mate. I've been getting well into it lately. L19 red was great giving me some advice on a decent bike to get, and I've not looked back.

Just completed a lovely little circuit in northern tuscany 40k and just under 1000m of ascent. Vellano is beautiful and the roads are almost traffic free. I could live here. According to my neighbour Cavendish and Steve Cummings live in nearby villages.

Just completed a lovely little circuit in northern tuscany 40k and just under 1000m of ascent. Vellano is beautiful and the roads are almost traffic free. I could live here. According to my neighbour Cavendish and Steve Cummings live in nearby villages.

That's a fair old climb, L19, although I think the idea of the downhill frightens me more.

Had a short spin myself this morning and think I saw more bikes than cars. Its a good feeling being able to ride hills that I previously dreaded almost without thinking now

That's a fair old climb, L19, although I think the idea of the downhill frightens me more.

Had a short spin myself this morning and think I saw more bikes than cars. Its a good feeling being able to ride hills that I previously dreaded almost without thinking now

It was a breeze. The gradient is whst counts more than the total and this was about 6-7% so good steady stuff. Once it hits 9-10% thats when it gets really hard.