You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

So, hang on, he's using a joke where the punchline is basically about a man being a monkey's bitch to get across how he wants Smalling to link up with Townsend on the right flank? Why not just say "play it down the flank" or "give it to Townsend" like a fucking sane, sensible person would?

The joke is neither racist nor funny. In fact, saying it at half time to your players in a must win game is about as bizarre as the furore surrounding it. Sums Hodgson up really. He's a tit.

By the way, has anyone seen Jason Roberts' reaction? Remember him? That fella who would never, ever think about using a serious issue like racism to further a career in the media. He's another fucking tit:

Jason Roberts @JasonRoberts30 4h

Hodgson "joke" or "analogy" is the comment of a 66 year old man who probably does not see why a comment like that might be a problem in 2013

So..an ill judged comment from another era which should be handled in the correct way, but in the end...in 2013 we have far bigger problems

The levels of abuse on my timeline are tame compared to the abuse endured by my loved ones in this Country.. C'mon.. #dobetter

So, hang on, he's using a joke where the punchline is basically about a man being a monkey's bitch to get across how he wants Smalling to link up with Townsend on the right flank? Why not just say "play it down the flank" or "give it to Townsend" like a fucking sane, sensible person would?

The joke is neither racist nor funny. In fact, saying it at half time to your players in a must win game is about as bizarre as the furore surrounding it. Sums Hodgson up really. He's a tit.

By the way, has anyone seen Jason Roberts' reaction? Remember him? That fella who would never, ever think about using a serious issue like racism to further a career in the media. He's another fucking tit:

Jason Roberts @JasonRoberts30 4h

Hodgson "joke" or "analogy" is the comment of a 66 year old man who probably does not see why a comment like that might be a problem in 2013

So..an ill judged comment from another era which should be handled in the correct way, but in the end...in 2013 we have far bigger problems

The levels of abuse on my timeline are tame compared to the abuse endured by my loved ones in this Country.. C'mon.. #dobetter

I wonder what Roberts and the like think about Hodgson's time playing in apartheid South Africa.

Who would you believe? The guy that claimed he was using a term quite common in his native country (also that he spoke in his native tongue!) or the guy who described what was said as a 'legitimate space tale'? I know who I'd be laughing my arse off at.

And no Roy, the joke was fucking shit and overall downright confusing, given the task at hand! Seriously, when he starts talking about having an onion on his belt, as it was the style of the time, he needs a tap on the shoulder and shuffled to a press conference to announce his immediate retirement from all things football.

Who would you believe? The guy that claimed he was using a term quite common in his native country (also that he spoke in his native tongue!) or the guy who described what was said as a 'legitimate space tale'? I know who I'd be laughing my arse off at.

And no Roy, the joke was fucking shit and overall downright confusing, given the task at hand! Seriously, when he starts talking about having an onion on his belt, as it was the style of the time, he needs a tap on the shoulder and shuffled to a press conference to announce his immediate retirement from all things football.

That's the real story isn't it.  Hodgson's love of displaying his own vocabulary and knowledge always had a whiff of The Fox and the Crow about it.  As LFC fans we're only too well aware of how poor he is at fashioning the many words he likes to show off knowing into phrases which have the desired effect, likewise at knowing when to just shut up shop.  He could always be enticed into what he thought was a clever, long-winded response, when something snappy and decisive was needed to kill the question. 

He seems a complete anachronism within football in that regard, and all the guff from the media about how positive it would be after Capello's limited English to have this highbrow literature loving, well-spoken English manager was always missing the point.  I'm not too sure the players have a book club on the go with him, or like to pick his brains on Philip Roth's central themes, or indeed the meaning of historical Nasa space jokes.

• Upvote 2

That's the real story isn't it.  Hodgson's love of his own vocabulary and knowledge always had a whiff of The Fox and the Crow about it.  As LFC fans we're only too well aware of how poor he is at making the many words he likes to show off knowing into sentences and phrases that have the desired effect, likewise at knowing when to just shut up shop.  He could always be enticed into what he thought was a clever, long-winded response, when something snappy and decisive was needed to kill the question. 

He seems a complete anachronism within football in that regard, and all the guff from the media about how positive it would be after Capello's limited English to have this highbrow literature loving, well-spoken English manager was always missing the point.  I'm not too sure the players have a book club on the go with him, or like to pick his brains on Philip Roth's central themes, or indeed the meaning of historical Nasa space jokes.

probably how they qualified in fairness, didn't understand a word of the shite he was spouting so went and did their own thing instead

That's the real story isn't it.  Hodgson's love of displaying his own vocabulary and knowledge always had a whiff of The Fox and the Crow about it.  As LFC fans we're only too well aware of how poor he is at fashioning the many words he likes to show off knowing into phrases which have the desired effect, likewise at knowing when to just shut up shop.  He could always be enticed into what he thought was a clever, long-winded response, when something snappy and decisive was needed to kill the question. 

I recall he dropped the word monosyllabic into a Match of the Day interview  like it wasn't no thing. A rather unfortunate choice of word for grammar school Roy to select in order to show us all how clever he is. Roy how do you say irony in latin?

I recall he dropped the word monosyllabic into a Match of the Day interview  like it wasn't no thing. A rather unfortunate choice of word for grammar school Roy to select in order to show us all how clever he is. Roy how do you say irony in latin?

He just can't fucking help himself.

• Upvote 1

Looking through the players in that squad I just have a nagging feeling Raheem is one of the more likely candidates, purely through being 18, immature and seemingly not the brightest star in the sky.

Obviously could be anyone in the squad, but some are more unlikely than others, and I find it hard to believe one of the older players would leak it as a grudge or genuinely think he meant it in a racist way, while it's more feasible someone that much younger with less life experience could genuinely have taken it the wrong way and not had the conviction to speak up at the time.

Rather like the classic Paediatrician confused with paedophile by News of the World stories, which led to apocryphal tales of being hospitalised and the like.