You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Those bombs alone are absolute proof that there's something seriously wrong with the reality we live in, nothing else from thousands of years of our fucked up history needs to be added, and the fact that countries still have stockpiles of them is proof of our continuing madness and sickness as a species.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

I agree with both of you, my post was just looking at it from another point of view of why they did drop it and too explain that those who said drop it in the sea or in another area that doing so would have made no impact.

As you have said dropping such a bomb just shows how far we can fall as a race.

Dennis - that's not necessary.

Admiral Leahy, in his assessment, also thought the bomb wouldn't actually work.

His stance that you quoted, doesn't necessarily make him right. In fact, it would have put him firmly in the minority amongst the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I would also suggest that it is perhaps easier to say "it won't work' and 'it's not the right way of waging war'. I don't think Roosevelt/Truman or any other decision-maker took the decision of dropping a bomb on Japan without some deep reflection and personal responsibility.

It was perfectly neccesary to call him a cunt as it put an end to the war. He doesnt have surrender in his vocab.

Secondly Secs assessment is ass. Japan had no fuel for its warships and barely any bullets or bombs left due to their long isolation and embargo. Revisionism wont make it go away.

Neither will love letters to truman son, I could also say I think Hitler meant well but........etc etc, its meaningless, what are you judging by the look in his eye, the way he walked? Or just that he was on 'our side' so ergo any decision he makes must have been a noble act. He's dropping nuclear bombs on women and children and you find room to see some sort of reason to it? It was basically an experiment to see which bomb would be best at killing most people.

All the hand wringing speculation of what worse things might have occured had we not dropped the bombs is making me sick.

Showed the Soviets who had the power for that alone it was worth it.

Never really got what all the bother is over the nukes, the constant fire bombings of Tokyo killed more people.

I never knew it was sickening to save the lives of your own troops in war and fuck it how many Jap civilians were saved as they were spared the prospect of ritual suicide like on Okinawa?

Also simply put lives of people on your side over the lives of people on the other.

Do people who call this terrorism call the British and American bombing of Dresden terrorism?

What about the British sending Cossacks back to the Soviet Union to be slaughtered when they had never set fought inside the Soviet Union? IMO that is far worse then using a weapon in a war.

What would all you liberal minded people of thought of the great Winston Churchill if the Nazis had invaded? He would of used chemical weapons for a certainty. Would he then of become a war criminal and terrorist....

Condemning past actions from a modern view point is frankly absurd.

It's an absolute stain on the history of mankind.

I always think of the remains that were left of the childs trike.

1105-0001.jpg

The kid who this trike belonged to wasn't even 4 years old.

Here he is:

Picture_7.jpg

Look at him, and then tell me that dropping the bomb on him was the right thing to do.

The Japanese army was still intact on the Asian mainland and had been sending troops back to Japan (900,000), only 80,000 army troops on Okinawa with 40,000 drafted civilian troops and sailors, they still killed 12,500 American army troops in 3 months of battle with another 100,000 civilians killed and this is just 1 island battle

They had also set up the 'patriotic citizens fighting corps' which was 28 million albeit not well equipped

10,000 Kamikaze pilots and planes were ready having been kept back from Okinawa and a lot more were planned to be ready by the time of invasion, only 2,000 attacked at Okinawa but were devastating

Hundreds of small suicide motor boats were also being made

doesnt sound like they were ready to surrender to me, right decision

1105-0001.jpg

The kid who this trike belonged to wasn't even 4 years old.

Here he is:

Picture_7.jpg

Look at him, and then tell me that dropping the bomb on him was the right thing to do.

In fairness I think that trike stood up pretty well to a atomic explosion. They don't build 'em like that anymore. My 4 1/2 year old has made shite out of her's after only a month.

• 7 years later...

I think its the lack of consistency in certain posters. Agendas etc. Denial to blatantly being found out for being lying cunts. 

o way should either of these bombs be justified other than by sick cunts. The world shouldn't be a horrible enough place that these weapons exist.