You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35529337

Everton closer to takeover after talks with American consortium

Everton are moving closer to a £200m takeover after talks with an American consortium.

The group, led by former San Diego Padres owner John Jay Moores and fellow entrepreneur Charles Noell, have been in talks with Toffees owner Bill Kenwright in recent months. Moores and Noell were previously interested in investing in Swansea. The pair have spent a six-week due diligence period looking at Everton's accounts. In addition to speaking to chairman Kenwright, they have had talks with the club's other major shareholders, Robert Earl and Jon Woods.

The Toffees have declined to comment on the latest interest - but in 2015 there were several parties considering a deal to buy the Premier League club. In October, City of London sources revealed to BBC Sport that American investors, some with links to Major League Soccer side Sporting Kansas City, were exploring the purchase of Everton.Kenwright has conducted a search for investment stretching back more than a decade but the latest moves are felt by those close to the club as representing the most positive and hopeful development since the theatre impresario indicated his willingness to sell.

Kenwright, who bought the club from Peter Johnson for £20m on 26 December 1999, said as far back as November 2007: "If the right person stands in front of me and wants to take this club forward then I will sell." Former Everton midfielder Peter Reid told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's my club and Goodison Park - as much as I love it - I think Everton need a new football ground. "We've got a great squad of players and a good manager but we need to get anew stadium to keep pace with the other clubs in this Premier League. You need the revenue that generates. If Bill Kenwright says it's OK - yes let's get it done."

It is understood that after years of inactivity regarding a sale, there has been a growing intensity and intent to do a deal in recent months, fuelled by growing, serious interest from a number of groups. If the deal is completed it would mean both Merseyside Premier League clubs would be under American stewardship. Moores, who bought baseball team San Diego Padres from Liverpool chairman Tom Werner for $80m (£53.7m) in 1994, is believed to be worth about £500m. Moores and Noell have a background in technology. Moores founded BMC software and also JMI Equity, a venture capitalism arm of his empire, which Noell helped to co-found.

By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer

Let's hope they don't get their act together because our club is a complete farce at the moment.

With regards to "the team across the park" business if you have ever read an article of one of Everton's angry AGM's they always refer to us as "the team across the park". Even the people running the club are too bitter to refer to us by our proper name.

• Upvote 1

American owners are bad for the sport, end of. The cunts should be nowhere near being involved in the game of Association Football as much as English or European people should be nowhere near the running of Baseball or NFL clubs. The cultural difference is too vast to ever be bridged.

Work blue talking about it in work:

• Worried about venture capitalists
  • Admitted that they're "small time" marketing wise as demonstrated by lacking to tap in to the Chinese, Australian and US markets when they had Li Tie, Cahill and Mcbride/Donovan/Howard
  • In thailand where their main sponsor comes from everyone supports Man U and "other teams" (couldn't bring himself to say us)
  • Wouldn't pay £77.00 to watch "that liverpool team!!!"
  • Admitted that their "peoples club" mantra means that no-one outside of the Uk has really heard of them

Fuck that, I wouldn't wish owners like them on any set of football supporters, let alone those who are from Liverpool.

I remember saying something similar at the time when we were going through hell, we weren't getting much sympathy off them at the time, quite the opposite. The things I witnessed at the time & have witnessed since makes me wish nothing but bad luck on them. I'd love them to get into the shit, absolutely fucking love it. The deeper the better.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Work blue talking about it in work:

• Worried about venture capitalists
  • Admitted that they're "small time" marketing wise as demonstrated by lacking to tap in to the Chinese, Australian and US markets when they had Li Tie, Cahill and Mcbride/Donovan/Howard
  • In thailand where their main sponsor comes from everyone supports Man U and "other teams" (couldn't bring himself to say us)
  • Wouldn't pay £77.00 to watch "that liverpool team!!!"
  • Admitted that their "peoples club" mantra means that no-one outside of the Uk has really heard of them

Ifithadnabinfathepeoplesclubmantra