You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strange Request

Carradona

There was a programme on BBC 1 Northern Ireland tonight at 9pm called "Shankill Butchers", which, if you couldn't have already guessed, was about the Shankill Butchers. Here is their wikipedia page for those of you who don't know who/what they were and are interested in finding out more about them:

Shankill Butchers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I can't get BBC NI over here in Liverpool but wasn't too bothered about that as I just assumed they would put this up on BBC iPlayer. It turns out that the useless bastards haven't put it up on iPlayer and I am now left without a way of seeing it.

Does anyone have any idea of how I could somehow find this online?

Or perhaps anyone back home able to tell me if it is going to be repeated again, so I can get my brother to Sky Plus it and I will watch it when I'm home at Easter.

Thanks.

There was a programme on BBC 1 Northern Ireland tonight at 9pm called "Shankill Butchers", which, if you couldn't have already guessed, was about the Shankill Butchers. Here is their wikipedia page for those of you who don't know who/what they were and are interested in finding out more about them:

Shankill Butchers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I can't get BBC NI over here in Liverpool but wasn't too bothered about that as I just assumed they would put this up on BBC iPlayer. It turns out that the useless bastards haven't put it up on iPlayer and I am now left without a way of seeing it.

Does anyone have any idea of how I could somehow find this online?

Or perhaps anyone back home able to tell me if it is going to be repeated again, so I can get my brother to Sky Plus it and I will watch it when I'm home at Easter.

Thanks.

Couldn't see anything about a repeat on the BBC's website but that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't slip it into the schedule sometime - keep an eye on the late-night slots.

If anyone does find this for download anywhere (unlikely I know) I'd be interested in watching it myself.

Gruesome bunch and the book is scary as fuck.

The documentary last night seemed to be leaning toward the suggestion that Murphy may have been given a 'free pass' by the security forces to slaughter Catholics. Although I can't agree with this I will say that I believe more could have been done by the police in their efforts to catch him and his gang earlier.

Cheers, Mike D.

It said on the BBC website last night that it wouldn't be on iPlayer. I'll give that a watch tonight.

Nice one Mixmaster Mike, rep will be forthcoming when I'm able. And yeah, it did say last night that it wasn't going to be on iPlayer. Lies, always lies.

A mate of mine played a character based on the butchers in a movie about 12 years ago called Resurrection Man. Pretty shite movie as it turned out, but he got to interview and sit with some pretty unsavoury people when he was working on it.

I've just got back in the last hour from working away the last few days but I've sky plussed it and I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

Just watched. I've never really paid much attention to the Shankill Butchers and what they got up to. A few weeks ago, me and my housemates were even talking about them (and The Troubles as a whole) and thought that they had only killed three or four people. We were very, very wrong about that.

After watching that, I was very shocked at just how brutal and sadistic the thugs were. It's quite simply incredible to think how long they got away with it for so long. Very interesting claims made in the documentary that the police (and the army) were pretty much happy to turn a blind eye to the evens.

I always think to myself that I would love to have experienced the tension in the city around the time of The Troubles. Obviously not get caught up in anything, but just to have experienced what the place was like. The obvious reaction to that is, "Are you mad? No you wouldn't have!", but I don't know what it is that makes me think that. Sort of one of those "I was there when..." moments.

I guess I'm just lucky that I was brought up not to be a horrible, little, sectarian scumbag. Unfortunately, there are far too many cunts running around that have been brought up like that, and that will always leave the chance there for the shitstorm to come back again sometime in the future.

Credit to Stephen Nolan. I normally can't stand him, but he didn't just let the police officer guy get away with it easily when it came to how he answered the questions.

Very good documentary.

Thought the copper was hard done to. If everyone knew Murphy was the top butcher then why did the IRA not at least attempt to take him and his mob out. Surely they would have had their sources.

I also thought the hero type soldiers funerals for what were essentially serial killing psychos was a sad indictment on the protestant community of north Belfast. Soldiers don't lift young lads on the way home from discos and chop then to pieces.

Equally on the other side soldiers don't leave bombs in pubs.

I can understand the struggles of both communities but cannot excuse the total barbarism perpetuated by each.

Very good documentary.

Thought the copper was hard done to. If everyone knew Murphy was the top butcher then why did the IRA not at least attempt to take him and his mob out. Surely they would have had their sources.

I also thought the hero type soldiers funerals for what were essentially serial killing psychos was a sad indictment on the protestant community of north Belfast. Soldiers don't lift young lads on the way home from discos and chop then to pieces.

Equally on the other side soldiers don't leave bombs in pubs.

I can understand the struggles of both communities but cannot excuse the total barbarism perpetuated by each.

Purely playing devils advocate here, but could there have been any chance that he was being protected by the Army/RUC before he ended up in prison? And even when he was in prison, he could have been getting extra protection from the guards.

Purely playing devils advocate here, but could there have been any chance that he was being protected by the Army/RUC before he ended up in prison? And even when he was in prison, he could have been getting extra protection from the guards.

I typed a massive response to that mate but deleted it because you probably know better than me so what is the point. There is no point going over and over things. My Grandad is dead now but 3 of his brothers are buried in soldiers graves. Both sides are full of cunts. Years ago I would have joined up myself but there is no reason now, the world has moved on.

Still have to feel the victims families have never really had the recognition they deserve. Reconciliation is hardest if you have lost someone

The best books I've read on the troubles in Northern Ireland were the three written by BBC journalist and terrorism expert Peter Taylor. The BBC made a documentary series to go with each one and they were completely fascinating, with interviews with all the main people involved on all sides. If anyone fancies the books they all available on Amazon:

Brits: The War Against the IRA: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Taylor: Books

The Provos: The IRA and Sinn Fein: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Taylor: Books

Loyalists: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Taylor: Books