You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was wrong about Kenny

Section_31

Guest San Don

I know I should be sectioned for even thinking it but, I really think if we can make some inspired signings during this window and the summer, if the King is still manager (I'll be right pissed if he's not!), we could make a challenge for the title.

There isnt a team that has the look of being able to dominate this league for the next 3 or 4 years. citeh have money but they still get beat. united are tops but everyone else being crap is gifting this title to them. spurs dont have the look of a title winning team and chelsea are in a massive slump.

The King is back and I believe again even if it turns out Im wrong!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I should be sectioned for even thinking it but, I really think if we can make some inspired signings during this window and the summer, if the King is still manager (I'll be right pissed if he's not!), we could make a challenge for the title.

There isnt a team that has the look of being able to dominate this league for the next 3 or 4 years. citeh have money but they still get beat. united are tops but everyone else being crap is gifting this title to them. spurs dont have the look of a title winning team and chelsea are in a massive slump.

The King is back and I believe again even if it turns out Im wrong!

For heaven's sake, we've just won ONE match! If we'd lost to Wolves, we would be in the thick of a relegation battle, so it's even more premature than a randy teenager to start thinking of a title challenge!

There's also absolutely no evidence that the owners are going to fund a transfer spree this summer (and certainly not one that could compete with Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and even Arsenal's likely spending) . A much more likely scenario is that Torres will move on and his fee will provide our transfer budget, as we get used to being lectured on the need for 'living within our means'.

I admire your optimism, but it';s going to take a good few years just to undo the damage caused by H+G - and even that is assuming we have the owners with the will and the means to do that, on which at best the jury is still out.

For heaven's sake, we've just won ONE match! If we'd lost to Wolves, we would be in the thick of a relegation battle, so it's even more premature than a randy teenager to start thinking of a title challenge!

There's also absolutely no evidence that the owners are going to fund a transfer spree this summer (and certainly not one that could compete with Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and even Arsenal's likely spending) . A much more likely scenario is that Torres will move on and his fee will provide our transfer budget, as we get used to being lectured on the need for 'living within our means'.

I admire your optimism, but it';s going to take a good few years just to undo the damage caused by H+G - and even that is assuming we have the owners with the will and the means to do that, on which at best the jury is still out.

Does it matter how much money they spend on players? They can only field 11 players at the same time and the problems we have seen this year from the City camp will not become less if they buy more golddiggers.

The only City players I would have is Yaya Toure and Silva and Johnson, the rest would struggle to get into our first team.

Foregive the Red Nick style thread title, but it's something that needs saying.

Whenever anyone mentioned the idea of Dalglish coming back I used to think it was a bad idea. Although a great manager and football man, I always thought he came across as someone who'd lost love for the game, of someone who'd had his fill of being at the sharp end. I remembered him at Newcastle when - even in the early days - he often seemed dour and beleaguered, and I thought 'this is a man who's had enough of football'.

How wrong I was.

From the frist second he took his place on the bench he's looked a new man, the Dalglish of old. Energetic, simulating giving it the heads when his players do, full of joy when we score. His press conferences are great and he's got that smile back.

I think being manager again will redeem Dalglish just as him being here will redeem us.

I will never forget how heartbroken I was when he left when I was 10, I barely remember him playing (save for the fact my uncle supported scotland just because Dalglish played for them and I remember watching it) but as a manager he was my hero. I think I worried about seeing him back in case he didn't live up to my memories of him, but the signs are good.

Kenny, welcome home.

Great post

I feel the same way about Kenny

My main concern was two fold would he be up to the modern game tactics (difficult to judge that yet) and two would he crack under pressure and now I am pretty sure he wont.

As Brian Reade put it we really only have a decision to make if Mourinho became available in the summer, anyone else and Kenny is home free IMO

Things are really positive at the moment, not just on the pitch (where there have also been some poor results of course, but there's definitely an improvement lately) but mainly off the pitch where the club just seems right again. It doesn't just feel like Kenny is back it almost feels as though he's brought Ronnie Moran and Peter Robinson back with him as well; I suppose the owners deserve some credit as well for creating a bit of stability compared with the mess we were in less than a year ago?

I just hope that we keep getting better and keep picking up good results because if we do that, there's no way that they can't give the job to Kenny. He probably has the unwavering support of about 90% of the fans (there are always some who think differently, which is fair enough) which is more than any manager we've had since, erm, Kenny, can say really!

As I say, I just hope we keep improving because nothing would break my heart more than to see us being shit under the King. Having said that, even if results do take a turn for the worse and he has to step down in the summer, I don't think his reputation would be tarnished much at all because of the way in which he's conducted himself since he came back.

After Rafa, I said i'd never idolise a manager again and the only person who could have stopped me from doing so, is Kenny.

He doesn't just ooze the Liverpool Way, he is the Liverpool Way.

I think quite a few of us loved Kenny so much we dreaded him coming back because we know how fickle things are these days. But so far it's been like a glorious dream, seeing him around again and behaving with such class. I hope it continues, it will be the best thing ever.

I was sceptical about his appointment in the summer, and i still think I was right - whomever followed Rafa was going to have an impossible job, and expectations for Kenny would have been unreasonable. In that sense it needed the disaster that was the Hodgson interregnum to make fans realise the need for unity, and for expectations to be lowered too. Timing is everything.

I disagree matey, Kenny would have been given time, he doesn't need expectations to be lowered, he knows what they should be-the best, his class would have shone through and we are talking about a squad that finished 7th. We wasted a lot of money with the Hodgson circus and lots of time, whatever Kenny would have started like it wouldn't have gotten that bad, and now he has to rescue our season but he wouldn't have messed up like Hodgson did results wise.

It should have been done then, no other reason to fire Benitez as there were no other coaches around of that caliber available and Kenny knew that and told them.

Foregive the Red Nick style thread title, but it's something that needs saying.

Whenever anyone mentioned the idea of Dalglish coming back I used to think it was a bad idea. Although a great manager and football man, I always thought he came across as someone who'd lost love for the game, of someone who'd had his fill of being at the sharp end. I remembered him at Newcastle when - even in the early days - he often seemed dour and beleaguered, and I thought 'this is a man who's had enough of football'.

How wrong I was.

From the frist second he took his place on the bench he's looked a new man, the Dalglish of old. Energetic, simulating giving it the heads when his players do, full of joy when we score. His press conferences are great and he's got that smile back.

I think being manager again will redeem Dalglish just as him being here will redeem us.

I will never forget how heartbroken I was when he left when I was 10, I barely remember him playing (save for the fact my uncle supported scotland just because Dalglish played for them and I remember watching it) but as a manager he was my hero. I think I worried about seeing him back in case he didn't live up to my memories of him, but the signs are good.

Kenny, welcome home.

I'm not sure you were wrong in calling it as you saw it. The emboldened part is the key - I think he had lost his love for the game back then and I think it's entirely understandable in view of what he'd carried during his last years at our club. Thing is, Newcastle aren't us and now isn't then.

I think one of the coolest things about what's happened in these last few weeks is that as well as this being brilliant for us as fans, I also think it's been brilliant for Kenny. There's magic in seeing him involved again, seeing that fucking beaming grin as he celebrates a goal and seeing how much he cares about the club and its success - part of that magic is definitely seeing a man who left us in haste and regretted it almost instantly getting another chance that he must surely have thought was never going to come.

Even if he doesn't end up getting the gig full time at the end of the season, I think there's perhaps an element of closure about this for Kenny, a chance for his last days managing this club not to be overshadowed by the enormous weight of the Hillsborough aftermath that he was carrying on his shoulders. Or maybe not, maybe I'm projecting some of my own feelings onto the situation there. Either way, I love it.

There's that famous quote from Shanks:

I was interested in only one thing, success for the club. And that meant success for the people. I wanted results for the club, for the love of the game, to make the people happy.

Kenny is just as legendary a figure as Shanks in the history of this club and the above could just as easily apply to Kenny, especially the part about making the people happy. That's why it means so much that the people and the club make Kenny happy too. Again, as Shankly said, a holy trinity of fans, players and manager. This is how it should be always.

Does it matter how much money they spend on players? They can only field 11 players at the same time and the problems we have seen this year from the City camp will not become less if they buy more golddiggers.

The only City players I would have is Yaya Toure and Silva and Johnson, the rest would struggle to get into our first team.

Kompany would walk into our team too.

You make me feel so young- Frank Sinatra, 1956

Having Kenny in charge makes me feel a bit like a kid again, childish even, looking forward to Liverpool games like I did many, many years ago.

And I think, rather than being burdened by the seriousness of the club's malaise, the job might be making him feel young again. It certainly comes across that way.

Long may it last.

Weve got the best manager in the league.

Regardless of what happens on the pitch.

The man is a total fucking legend.

Its only now you realise what football has been missing.

Real character, real class, real respect.

We do all realise that dont we?

God bless you Kenny.

Shit song, doesn't even rhyme.

Spot on btw.

His time at Newcastle cannot be compared I don't think. Newcastle aren't Liverpool, and we have no idea what was going thru Dalglish's mind as he sat in the Newcastle dugout...he may well have been thinking 'this isn't Liverpool'as well!!.

Obviously the Board have to be results oriented, but for me, he deserves a shot at the job permanently, and then he and we, can finally lay ghosts to rest one way or another; personally I think it would be a crime to turn him down at the end of the season if we fail to achieve enough of a stablised position (whatever that position is deemed to be)..he deserves the time and funds that any new manager would get..not just half a season and the january transfer window.

The King has come home - I think we all are feeling that he can perform a turnaround given some time and some money (yeah yeah we've heard all that before) he has a footballing brain...he EXPECTS players to perform to standards he himself set as a player..and for this reason he can get the best out of capable players.

I'm not afraid to say that he has already brought tears to my eyes: when I see him celebrating, when I hear his voice in interviews, and when I see the respect he commands from players and fans and his colleagues - and also out of sheer hope that we can yet be proud of our club and team again, and bring back some glory days, instead of being consigned to the past, like so many old clubs.

My belief was that after all the politics, crap and posturing from all sides before NESV took us over, the only way to have sorted the Club out was to have had a root and branch reform throughout.

New Owners, New Manager & coaching team, and also to have cleared out the players who were causing unrest, if there were any.

While appreciating this could've taken 10 years to turn the Club back into something I regarded as the LFC I knew, I was prepared for that to happen if necessary.

I wouldn't have wanted Kenny to be tainted in any way with all that had gone on and therefore wasn't really in favour of him being reappointed, like some I believed his reputation and standing should not have been put on the line. But the main beauty of him having been appointed is that, almost immediately, we have the right things being said and done from the Club, in the right manner (The Liverpool Way if you like) and i'm now certain we are back on track with the new owners and Kenny in charge. And I now don't think it'll take 10 years to turn us around as I did before. We may not be able to keep Torres, we might still see mixed results and struggle to qualify in Europe, but there has been a change but it's the right change and we'll get there in the end.

I disagree matey, Kenny would have been given time, he doesn't need expectations to be lowered, he knows what they should be-the best, his class would have shone through and we are talking about a squad that finished 7th. We wasted a lot of money with the Hodgson circus and lots of time, whatever Kenny would have started like it wouldn't have gotten that bad, and now he has to rescue our season but he wouldn't have messed up like Hodgson did results wise.

It should have been done then, no other reason to fire Benitez as there were no other coaches around of that caliber available and Kenny knew that and told them.

Agreed. If we'd hired Kenny in the summer or earlier in this season we'd probably be contending for a CL place and not in our current position which may take years to recover from.

Great post

I feel the same way about Kenny

My main concern was two fold would he be up to the modern game tactics (difficult to judge that yet) and two would he crack under pressure and now I am pretty sure he wont.

As Brian Reade put it we really only have a decision to make if Mourinho became available in the summer, anyone else and Kenny is home free IMO

The phrase I've heard the most since kenny was appointed has been 'a return to the Liverpool way'.

If this is what is putting a smile on peoples faces and making them enjoy the game again why on earth is that cunts name being mentioned.

After the last couple of matches I'm actually looking forward to watching us play now. I hadn't been all season, I was just riding out the games waiting for Roy to be sacked and not caring about the results as much as I should have.

I love how we are getting the front 3 of the midfield into the box to support Torres, we are actually making the opposition worry about us now. It's cliche but it really is like a breath of fresh air.

Fulham on Wednesday, CAN'T WAIT!

Good post.

I was wary also as i thought if we had a run of dodgy results then people would be having a go at Kenny and it might tarnish his rep.

Tis fucking great to be completely wrong.

You really aint wrong or right yet. The man has only managed 3 games so far. Time will tell how he performs. I sincerely hope he succeeds, as much for his own sake as well as for liverpools as I would hate for Kenny to ruin his reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not painting Dalglish as a saviour or a surefire guarantee of future success, I'm talking about how he's handling himself as manager. I was wrong to think he'd be someone who'd lost his love of the game and wanted a quiet life, everything I've seen both on and off the pitch so far has shown him to be the exact opposite - he's loving it, he's got ideas and he wants to be there.

You should read his book and you can see straight away his love for the club is immense. I get the feeling he feels he has unfinished business after stress caused him to leave.