You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The club is sold

Scouse_Datcha

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive,"

Broughton signaling his goodbye's?, having concluded what he set out to achieve and making clear at the start he was only here for that time frame. Regardless of how this ends up legally now.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reds aim to replicate Red Sox success

Liverpool fans may be wary of another American owner, but in John W Henry they have a very different breed to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The quiet, reserved 61-year-old made his fortune in hedge funds, but has used it to indulge his sporting interests, most famously with the Boston Red Sox baseball team, but also in the NASCAR motorsport series.

The self-made multi-millionaire does not have the serious money of the Premier League’s wealthiest owners, with his fortune rated at $860m (€620m) before dipping in the credit crunch, but he does have an excellent track record of success with his teams.

After owning a number of minor league teams, and briefly controlling the Florida Marlins, Henry and his partners in New England Sports Ventures, Tom Werner and the New York Times Company, bought the Red Sox in 2002.

In doing so, they acquired one of the game’s most famous names but a team who could not translate their wealth and prominence into championships thanks to one of baseball’s most endearing tales – ’the curse of the Bambino’.

The Red Sox won the World Series in 1918, but immediately afterwards sold emerging star Babe Ruth to their arch rivals, the New York Yankees.

While Ruth smashed baseball’s records to establish the Yankees as the pre-eminent franchise in the game, the Red Sox suffered calamity after calamity as they bid to end their curse and win another title.

As entire generations of Red Sox fans passed without ever seeing their team win, many wondered if the curse was here to stay.

But within two years of Henry’s acquisition the drought came to an end as they won their first World Series title in 86 years.

Three years later, they won the title again.

Henry has achieved this success while staying true to the rich traditions of the Red Sox.

Any temptation to move out of historic but restrictive Fenway Park, baseball’s oldest ballpark, has been resisted, with the club instead finding inventive ways to maximise revenues in order to remain competitive with the Yankees.

The fortunes of the Roush Fenway Racing team have likewise risen since Henry bought into the NASCAR team in 2007, with the team winning their first Daytona 500 in 2009 with Matt Kenseth.

But it is the Red Sox model that Liverpool fans will be most keen to replicate.

If Henry can show the same respect for history in handling the stadium issue, and more importantly find a way to end the club’s long title drought, Americans will suddenly become very welcome at Anfield once again.

If not many people cannot afford Liverpool, a club that is worth 450 million dollars then god save Manchester United which is worth 2 billion dollars

? Fuck them! I hope they burn to the ground, couldn't happen to a better bunch of cunts. Why are you even thinking about them fuckers now???

These guys have been able to turn a sports franchise - the Red Sox - around and make them competitive again. I don't care about their nationality. There is no suggestion they will look to build the club on debt, or follow a toxic business model.

It might take a while to have us competing again, but - apparently like others - I'd rather we did it the smart, sustainable way than by turning us into a rich man's toy.

You should change your username to "MYKneeJerk" - no one knows the details of the deal yet, no one knows if there is money for the stadium, no one knows if there is money for team building - just because they haven't come out and made big song and dance about that stuff up front doesn't mean it won't happen.

Well it's our club. We're entitled to know what the deal is.

From what I've heard, I'm not confident that we've got the right deal. It seems to be a case of "clear the debt (in time for the RBS deadline) and see what happens".

We heard 3 years ago all the ruses about wealthy American owners running successful teams in other sports, and all heard the other ruses that contrary to the claims, they actually don't have that much money at all if the 540million figure quoted is to be believed. Over half of that's needed just to clear the debt, never mind everything else.

If, and I stress if the above is found to be true, this isn't the best deal on the table, and we've made yet another mistake. To make it once is bad business. To make it twice could put us out of business.

These guys have been able to turn a sports franchise - the Red Sox - around and make them competitive again. I don't care about their nationality. There is no suggestion they will look to build the club on debt, or follow a toxic business model.

It might take a while to have us competing again, but - apparently like others - I'd rather we did it the smart, sustainable way than by turning us into a rich man's toy.

Top post.

We heard 3 years ago all the ruses about wealthy American owners running successful teams in other sports, and all heard the other ruses that contrary to the claims, they actually don't have that much money at all if the 540million figure quoted is to be believed. Over half of that's needed just to clear the debt, never mind everything else.

Would you rather they paid 800 million, and gave Hicks and Gillete backhanders? That would be the sign of a piss poor businessman.

this to me stinks of yet another pair of american out of their depth.They dont have enough money to buy this club,pay for a stadium and buy players.

indeed player costs in football far exceed player costs in baseball.

i just hope like the last sale someone is waiting in the wings to gazump these two otherwise i fear its going to be many more years of problems...i do hope im wrong.

Are you just grabbing an "internet fact" out of the air there - what is your source for Football costs against Baseball costs?

FYI - look back earlier in the thread and you'll see the average salary for players at the Boston Red Sox is in the area of $5 Mill per year.

John-W-Henry-006.jpg

Poor Tom Hicks. Bankrupt, beaten, ruined. Another sports team set to be snatched from his greasy grasp.

5b.JPG?adImageId=2849955&imageId=3826986

Poor George Gillett. Bankrupt, beaten, ruined.

liverpool-fc-owner-george-gillett-_300-207065135.jpg

Look at how much Hicks has aged in the last three years. We can have the satisfaction of knowing that despite him doing his level best to ruin our club, our club has helped ruin him too. The buoyant Texan rendered a husk of a man.

After what we have gone through and are still going through with Tom Hicks it would be negligent of us as a fanbase if we didnt investigate these guys as much as we can. However, I also think it is important that we wipe the slate clean and not put them in the same category as G&H just because of their nationality.

This guy has a history of being succesful with other sports clubs while G&H had a record of fucking up all their previous sports clubs, so thats an important distinction in the first instance.

I for one, am happy with the developments and welcome our new owners, but cautiously so, a little like going out with that new girlfriend after you found out your previous one was a lying cunt.

After what we have gone through and are still going through with Tom Hicks it would be negligent of us as a fanbase if we didnt investigate these guys as much as we can. However, I also think it is important that we wipe the slate clean and not put them in the same category as G&H just because of their nationality.

This guy has a history of being succesful with other sports clubs while G&H had a record of fucking up all their previous sports clubs, so thats an important distinction in the first instance.

I for one, am happy with the developments and welcome our new owners, but cautiously so, a little like going out with that new girlfriend after you found out your previous one was a lying cunt.

I would rep you if I could... Brilliant!

This is fucking disastrous in my view. I feel gutted. I'm happy that 2 cunts with no money have been fucked off, but to be replaced by one man who's total wealth is little more than than the current debt owed to RBS?

How is he wiping the debt? This is a seriously fucked up situation. Forget the stadium being built any time. This deal has probably secured the medium term prospects of the club, but I think that's us done as a major force.

Ironic that we stood by the ''yanks out'', an get some more right back in...to be honest its got the the point were I'am prepared to sit on the fence and see how they do, out of the millions and millions of american owners, not all of em can be bad...they look to have done well with the red sox and have a decent enough sports knowledge to pull us forward.

can't believe how much of conspiracy this is beggining to be, hicks wanting to sack purslow an ayre an replace them so they cant sell the club,madness an glad to see the back of those twats more than anything.

hope those cunts foot the bill for the court proceedings too.

YNWA XXXXX

this to me stinks of yet another pair of american out of their depth.They dont have enough money to buy this club,pay for a stadium and buy players.

indeed player costs in football far exceed player costs in baseball.

i just hope like the last sale someone is waiting in the wings to gazump these two otherwise i fear its going to be many more years of problems...i do hope im wrong.

You do realise that Liverpool operate at a profit without doubt and that the problem isn't us making shed loads of money but being allowed to spend what we DO make.

It's laughable that people are comparing Hicks and Gillett to NESV. It would be like comparing the Glazers to the Rooney's (Steelers family owners), if you know anything about them or the sports they are in then you just DON'T do it.

Basically this is xenophobic shite "Oh no not more Americans". I can understand people being cautious but making stupid ignorant statements based on someone's nationalities is like stating we are all curly haired thieves who bounce round saying "calm down" all day. People in the real world just know this isn't the case.

For the record I said from day one that Hicks and Gillett were not the answer, I believe however NESV COULD be.

This is fucking disastrous in my view. I feel gutted. I'm happy that 2 cunts with no money have been fucked off, but to be replaced by one man who's total wealth is little more than than the current debt owed to RBS?

How is he wiping the debt? This is a seriously fucked up situation. Forget the stadium being built any time. This deal has probably secured the medium term prospects of the club, but I think that's us done as a major force.

Calm down.

We don't even know the details of the take over yet. As you have said, it might be shit. It could also be ok.

We don't really need a rich sugar daddy anyway. We have to build, not buy success.

The club can be self sustainable if managed properly and if the heavy burden of the debt is removed. What are you expecting? Sugar daddies with Ice lollies?:wow:

You do realise that Liverpool operate at a profit without doubt and that the problem isn't us making shed loads of money but being allowed to spend what we DO make.

It's laughable that people are comparing Hicks and Gillett to NESV. It would be like comparing the Glazers to the Rooney's (Steelers family owners), if you know anything about them or the sports they are in then you just DON'T do it.

Basically this is xenophobic shite "Oh no not more Americans". I can understand people being cautious but making stupid ignorant statements based on someone's nationalities is like stating we are all curly haired thieves who bounce round saying "calm down" all day. People in the real world just know this isn't the case.

For the record I said from day one that Hicks and Gillett were not the answer, I believe however NESV COULD be.

We made a loss of £54 million last year, of which the debt payment was £40m, so how will profits of £-15m be reinvested into the team?

We made a loss of £54 million last year, of which the debt payment was £40m, so how will profits of £-15m be reinvested into the team?

Most reports say that New England Sports Venture want to reduce the debt of the club. If they can reduce it then the club will have money to spend it on players.

Calm down.

We don't even know the details of the take over yet. As you have said, it might be shit. It could also be ok.

We don't really need a rich sugar daddy anyway. We have to build, not buy success.

There is a world of difference between an owner who has money to wipe the debt and build the stadium and a sugar daddy. This has desperation written all over it. The American model doesn't work in England.

I'm sorry, but no new owner would get a chance from me without first providing me with a good reason to support them, but an owner without enough disposable money to wipe the debt was an absolute no-no. In no realm of reality will the debt be removed, instead it will be reduced and restructured, without leaving us that much better off. He can't afford to wipe it so it will turn up on our books again in a couple of years. Of that I have no doubt.

This is another disappointing day.

I also wanted one man calling the shots and not a group.

I think as long as we know who are in the group and where the money is coming from, then this is also OK.

Ideally it would be one man, but I don't think it is essential and it is proven to have worked given what they have done in America.

Judging from what they have done in America these guys are more like Kraft than Hicks / Gillett. They invest in the team as they know success on the pitch means success off it.