You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The club is sold

Scouse_Datcha

I'm not having a go at anyone or blaming anyone, I'm merely offering an opinion in the same way that all the people are declaring this a "perfect fit" are.

Perfect fit my arse. If anyone says that, they have to be 100% mental. We don't even know the details yet.

Your opinion is fine mate, that is the purpose of this forum.

All I'm saying is, lets wait for the details to come out.

You don't have to be exceptionally rich to operate a football club successfully. That is my opinion, mind.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im another who does not want some "sugar daddy" with 200 million spending sprees, All I want from this is a solid owner who fulfills his duties and promises, an acceptable transfer budget each window if needed, no asset stripping, a new manager capable of actually delivering what we expect and above all a new debt free stadium .

Get all that and we will have a PL title within 3 yrs . Not a lot to ask is it really ?

But part of the criteria for new owners was their ability to build a new stadium. If they do remove the debt from the balance sheet of LFC (obviously Kop Holdings will stop trading) then we will be in a position to borrow money for a new stadium, based of increased match day revenue and the creation of additional revenue streams.

Of course, there is a massive caveat to all this and that is how they will remove the debt from the balance sheet of the company. This is where it gets complicated.

Eh? £15m or £54m loss - both mean we have fuck all to spend. Don't you get that point???

I don't agree with Horus though, we are a profitable club and will be more profitable in near future if sufficient funds are put into the club NOW. And we will be more than self sufficient. We definitely won't be able to compete with the likes of City but is that what we want? A steady revenue, reasonable success on the pitch could mean we can build a base in the next few years and reap the rewards a few years after. And that will be much sweeter than chucking £200m in one go and winning the league.

Lets just wait and see for the full details.

This guy has no other intention than making money from us. I have no issue with someone making money from us long term, but we need big investment in the short term, and this guy has no money.

I think everybody should be extremely cautious, as has been posted, given what we've been through it would be a folly not to be. Very exciting to begin to believe that we could be free of the leeches though.

Correct. This lot are leverage buyout types just as much as H&G are.

"The problem lies in the fact that Henry’s group was highly leveraged when they bought the Red Sox, so they need to keep the team winning to pay the bills. This is why Theo Epstein once quit the Red Sox. He wanted to step back for a season and regroup to set the franchise up for the long haul. The people who control the money wanted to win each and every year, because that’s how they pay the bills".

Could a Poor Red Sox Season Have Long-Term Financial Effects on the Franchise? | Bleacher Report

Of course, there is a massive caveat to all this and that is how they will remove the debt from the balance sheet of the company. This is where it gets complicated.

They won't be as they can't afford to. They'll remove it for a bit, then restructure it and introduce it slowly back into the club.

This is fucking disastrous in my view. I feel gutted. I'm happy that 2 cunts with no money have been fucked off, but to be replaced by one man who's total wealth is little more than than the current debt owed to RBS?

How is he wiping the debt? This is a seriously fucked up situation. Forget the stadium being built any time. This deal has probably secured the medium term prospects of the club, but I think that's us done as a major force.

Can we please get away from this 'he is not rich enough' shite?

IF this all goes through we will be owned by a company which has turned around the second biggest 'Basbeall franchise' in the US.

It may work out for us or it may not but I'd setle for competent owners rather than rich ones.

Nothing against you mate, but this really pisses me off. We used to be brilliant at punching above our weight, that is what made us such a brilliant football club. Today, all I ever hear is 'net spend', 'wages', 'our owner is not a billionaire' blah, blah, blah.

Tom Hicks was a billionaire, fat lot of good that did us.

This guy has no other intention than making money from us. I have no issue with someone making money from us long term, but we need big investment in the short term, and this guy has no money.

Its not him, or his individual wealth, that is buying us.

You're right to be cautious, everyone should be, but we need to see (and understand) the detail first.

The simple fact is, he can't afford to buy the club with his own money without halving his wealth, and those wealth statistics are often based on properties and businesses rather than cash in the bank anyway.

Even Moores and Parry decided Gillett didn't have enough cash on his own to buy the club, yet he we are, about to sell to someone similar.

We're NOT selling to John Henry - we're selling to NESV.

Exactly right. I'm getting asset stripping vibes to be honest, maybe not at first but slowly and surely it'll happen.

IF this all goes through we will be owned by a company which has turned around the second biggest 'Basbeall franchise' in the US.

It may work out for us or it may not but I'd setle for competent owners rather than rich ones.

Nothing against you mate, but this really pisses me off. We used to be brilliant at punching above our weight, that is what made us such a brilliant football club. Today, all I ever hear is 'net spend', 'wages', 'our owner is not a billionaire' blah, blah, blah.

Nice to see some level headed thinking here. Personally it's way too early for me to make a call.

Regarding the Red Sox hat stuff have theey done over there with regards to turning them around?

Look at it this way.

These owners are savvy when it comes to sport. They will have looked at Liverpool as a business opportunity of course but they will also have had sports analysts on the case I reckon. Who knows maybe even Steve Nichol is involved in some way (shot in the dark).

The point being they will have seen the new rules from FIFA and UEFA about only being allowed to spend what you make and they will have seen an opportunity to compete (therefore making us succesful again but at a lower cost) and seen there is definite POTENTIAL for the club to make bigger profits as a successful entity rather than just asset strip it.

Do you know how smart these people are when it comes to sporting decisions?

Theo Epstein, well that appointment speaks for itself. It is basically akin to appointing a younger Frank Arnesen.

As for Francona, he was an inspirational appointment. A man whose CV consisted of a few years with the Phillies and no honours to show for it, Minor league managerial experience and a few years out of the game. Francona is still the manage to this day (having been appointed in 2000) and has won TWO World Series championships with the Boston Red Sox.

Two interesting facts about the sox and Francona.

The "curse of the Bambino" was lifted after a game where the Yankees scored 19 runs, 0 errors and the Red Sox had 1 error and 8 runs. I pointed out to Channel 5 (where my email was read at the time)

19 (1)8

Some major coincidence that!

Terry Francona also has the strange distinction of managing Micheal Jordan in the Minor Leagues when he tried his hand at Baseball. If you haven't seen "Jordan Rides the Bus" then it is truly a must see. Very inspirational and heart warming story showing just why in many eyes Michael Jordan is truly the greatest sportsman of all time.

Nice to see some level headed thinking here. Personally it's way too early for me to make a call.

Regarding the Red Sox what stuff have theey done over there with regards to turning them around?

How can he wipe the debt when he doesn't have the cash? The accounts said we didn't make a profit without debt repayments.

There were a lot of other 'associated costs' aside from the interest payments. It was well known that G&H were creaming the company for expenses and if rumours are to be believed there were issues with underdeclaring match day revenues. Also, stadium costs were a massive contributing factor to that loss. I cant remember the exact number off hand but it was something in the region of £40m worth of costs during their tenure, without a brick being laid.

Football has changed Timao, and your attitude is the kind that let Moores drift along for so long thinking "it will come good in the end."

We have absolutely no chance of establishing ourself at the top of the league by being a well run club. That's simple 2010 premier league economics. Today is the day that we have signed up to becoming the next Aston Villa.

That company that you mention has loaded up the red sox with debt and we will be the same. We don't need a sheikh mansour but this guy, in no way whatsoever, has the money to remove the debt from the club, let alone invest in a stadium and players.

Its just been on the news that if RBS put Kop Holdings into administracion then LFC will not be docked pointsby the Premier league.

This is good news as it means that the bank could own the club and then the bank could sell the club to whoever.

There were a lot of other 'associated costs' aside from the interest payments. It was well known that G&H were creaming the company for expenses and if rumours are to be believed there were issues with underdeclaring match day revenues. Also, stadium costs were a massive contributing factor to that loss. I cant remember the exact number off hand but it was something in the region of £40m worth of costs during their tenure, without a brick being laid.

That's just hearsay and speculation though, even if we average out that £40m for stadium costs that you mention at £14m each season. That leaves a profit of £0. How many good players does that buy you?

Eh? £15m or £54m loss - both mean we have fuck all to spend. Don't you get that point???

I don't agree with Horus though, we are a profitable club and will be more profitable in near future if sufficient funds are put into the club NOW. And we will be more than self sufficient. We definitely won't be able to compete with the likes of City but is that what we want? A steady revenue, reasonable success on the pitch could mean we can build a base in the next few years and reap the rewards a few years after. And that will be much sweeter than chucking £200m in one go and winning the league.

Lets just wait and see for the full details.

He is just quoting stats when the club made a big loss because of "bad tranfer fuck ups(Keane- 8 million loss)" and had "stadium costs". Moreover, we have slashed the excess wage bill that we had that year. Which means that the loss without the debt payments is likely to be less than that year.

I do feel that we have to observe caution and check the backgrounds of the new onwers thoroughly but stating that we are not a profitable club without the debt is ridiculous. No buyer would be in it if the club will keep on making losses like Horus seems to imply.