You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The club is sold

Scouse_Datcha

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this to me stinks of yet another pair of american out of their depth.They dont have enough money to buy this club,pay for a stadium and buy players.

indeed player costs in football far exceed player costs in baseball.

i just hope like the last sale someone is waiting in the wings to gazump these two otherwise i fear its going to be many more years of problems...i do hope im wrong.

Not sure how many football players have 10-year $275 million contracts like Alex Rodriguez. I think far exceeds maybe be an exceeding far exaggeration.

this to me stinks of yet another pair of american out of their depth.They dont have enough money to buy this club,pay for a stadium and buy players.

indeed player costs in football far exceed player costs in baseball.

i just hope like the last sale someone is waiting in the wings to gazump these two otherwise i fear its going to be many more years of problems...i do hope im wrong.

You more likely to be right. As much as ive veen waiting for the day H&G left, I Think this turn out to be another nightmare. From What I Can see they simply dont have acess to funds that will make us competitive... But sure hope im wrong too:(

To be fair, not many people have.... If they can pay off the debt and get a decent loan for the stadium that is not going to cripple us then I think it could be good - time will tell........

If not many people cannot afford Liverpool, a club that is worth 450 million dollars then god save Manchester United which is worth 2 billion dollars

Everybody who is saying 'they don't have enough money' is missing the point completely.

The club doesn't need a sugar daddy. Once run properly and not having to spend all it's income paying off the owners debt, it will be self sufficient and be able to invest large profits back into the playing squad accordingly. I assume in the short term, NESV will probably help finance buying players (isn't it a pre-req of the sale?) but in the long term, the club can suffice itself.

Also, this new company don't have to come in and build the new ground themselves. Although it would be nice, once back on it's feet again the club can finance the new stadium itself against bank loans and naming rights. Nobody should have an issue with the club paying for the new stadium itself.

Looks to me as if G&H have well and truly been stitched up by the English board members and RBS. The statements from yesterday and today are indicative of them surreptitiously out maneuvering the owners with the deadline in mind over a period of a couple of months to a plan. They confirmed they anticipated their reactions in the EGM, if not the attempt to remove Purslow and Ayre. I think the legal traps and ramifications on any actions have been given due attention and thought through consultation and may very well have checked mated the 2 Americans. Broughton seems to be supremely confident in his statement, and their is no way he would have taken it this far in the sales process if not.

Everybody who is saying 'they don't have enough money' is missing the point completely.

The club doesn't need a sugar daddy. Once run properly and not having to spend all it's income paying off the owners debt, it will be self sufficient and be able to invest large profits back into the playing squad accordingly. I assume in the short term, NESV will probably help finance buying players (isn't it a pre-req of the sale?) but in the long term, the club can suffice itself.

Also, this new company don't have to come in and build the new ground themselves. Although it would be nice, once back on it's feet again the club can finance the new stadium itself against bank loans and naming rights. Nobody should have an issue with the club paying for the new stadium itself.

Exactly. The Red Sox are well funded because the owners believe that on the field results mean greater financial success.

I'll expect them to make sure we don't have to sell anyone, and to add some quality players to our squad.

"estimated fortune of £540m" (BBC)

Hardly gonna bother Ambrovonich and the Sheik at Eastlands!

Doomed!

At a time like this do you really care. The main hope was lifting that debt noose around the club. It means the club can now possibly start using its income for investment and not paying off interest.

My expectations are we become a well run club again who spends within its means but at the high end. Not for some sugar daddy to throw money as a hobby to achieve it.

Just seen the SSN interview outside the stadium, and it appears from what was said, that G&H haven't agreed to the sale, and the whole thing could go through the courts.

As if that wasn't bad enough (which it is) there would be no investment, just merely buying off the debt, which is a bad deal for the club.

I think this is going to run and run and run some more. Is there ever any end to it? :wallbutt:

You should change your username to "MYKneeJerk" - no one knows the details of the deal yet, no one knows if there is money for the stadium, no one knows if there is money for team building - just because they haven't come out and made big song and dance about that stuff up front doesn't mean it won't happen.

The last owners came out up front and made all sorts of stupid statements like that and look where that got us.

Early days, but from a quick scan around the forums it appears that our US based support regard Red Sox as decent and reasonably well run. A good sign hopefully.

If, as Broughtn's statement confirms on the offal, the proposed new owners meet as near as possible the criteria set down for consideration before a sale was sanctioned, we should be able to expect some investment in the playing staff and movement on a new stadium.

But as I say, it's early days.

Spot on that PG. There would have been no problem with Moores and Parry staying if they'd known how to make the club money. H&G despite being a pair of shysters have improved us commercially and if it weren't for their debt we'd be rolling in it.

The stadium will probably be funded mostly by a loan which is fine. It won't be some short term loan like the one with RBS and the interest won't cripple us, it'll be a long term loan which is perfectly serviceable. Debt isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Early days, but from a quick scan around the forums it appears that our US based support regard Red Sox as decent and reasonably well run. A good sign hopefully.

If, as Broughtn's statement confirms on the offal, the proposed new owners meet as near as possible the criteria set down for consideration before a sale was sanctioned, we should be able to expect some investment in the playing staff and movement on a new stadium.

But as I say, it's early days.

From what I hear and read of the Red sox, they appear to be run quietly and efficiently, achieving success on the field without much fuss. I used to know a football club like that.......

This. I am sure that new legislation will be brought in before too long that means clubs have to live within their means. Take away the debts and we will have a decent transfer budget.

At a time like this do you really care. The main hope was lifting that debt noose around the club. It means the club can now possibly start using its income for investment and not paying off interest.

My expectations are we become a well run club again who spends within its means but at the high end. Not for some sugar daddy to throw money as a hobby to achieve it.

Exactly! Its not about doin a city. Its about getting the debt off the club and getting us ran the way we used to be. We can be very self sufficent when run properly.

It makes this sale even sweeter than G+H have been forced into it. I hope they have made fuck all. Got to give the other board members credit for standing up to them pair of cunts.

Taken from the SI article that Heinze posted

Thanks to Henry, Red Sox Nation will never hear the chant "1918!" again. Even if it all were to come crumbling down tomorrow, John Henry (pictured, right) and minority owners Tom Werner (left) and Larry Lucchino will be revered forever for reversing the Curse -- and adding a second championship in 2007. In addition, they've made the hires that will keep the Sox competitive for years to come: specifically, shrewd GM Theo Epstein and manager Terry Francona. Boston has reached the postseason five times in the past six years (including four ALCS appearances) and has become one of the most desired destinations for any notable free agent.

Read more: Arturo Moreno, John Henry rank among best MLB owners - MLB - SI.com

Nice letter on TIA

The following is an email we received from a Texas Rangers fan yesterday. Hopefully the news of the potential sale of the club this morning means Liverpool fans will soon be feeling as liberated as this Rangers fan…

I am from Texas and am a lifelong Texas Rangers fan. I am also a huge Liverpool fan because my family is from there.

I just wanted to send some encouragement to all Liverpool fans and say that there is life after Tom Hicks. Since he has sold the Rangers, the entire culture of the club has changed. Prices have gone down at the Ballpark, the club has become more fan-centered, and even the players talk about the involvement of the new owners in contrast to Hicks’ style. Hicks tried to scratch as much out of his sale of the Rangers as he could, but the court systems caught him every step of the way. It won’t be easy getting rid of him, but it is an incredibly liberating feeling once he is gone.

Hicks didn’t run Liverpool into the ground because he doesn’t understand soccer or because he doesn’t understand Liverpool’s history. He ran it into the ground because he doesn’t understand people. He only thinks in terms of money, but what he failed to realize is that owning a sports franchise isn’t a profitable business. He tried his hand at many different sports and has failed at them all. It isn’t because he is an American owning an English club, its because he’s a greedy businessman trying to turn sports franchises into profitable entities. He failed to realize that not everyone thinks like him.

I am not saying that Liverpool fans should stop calling him a Yank and a Cowboy, (side note: Those are two polar opposite things here in America. Similar to calling someone a Scouser and a Cockney.) I am really just letting you know that people in America hate Hicks too. We have been able to rid ourselves of him, and I am certainly hoping Liverpool can too.

Scott