You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest TesticleOReilly
What area of work does an English degree take you? Always wondered what options would be open to you after that.

mcdonalds-logo.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What area of work does an English degree take you? Always wondered what options would be open to you after that.

Pretty much anything, to be honest. It's quite a flexible degree. There's a quite a few employers who are just after a degree, so there's a lot of people with English degrees who move into areas like law, business and IT. You've got the obvious stuff like teaching and journalism as well.

I'm taking a year out and going to apply to do a Masters in September 2011. Hopefully do that and the PhD and all that malarkey after that for a cushy life in academia.

That's the plan anyway.

I want to study journalism but kinda fucked up and did a BND Media course rather than A level English. Would Liverpool Uni let me in with the BND or have I shot myself in the foot?

Wouldn't have a clue, mate!

Think you'd be best off getting in touch with them yourself.

I want to study journalism but kinda fucked up and did a BND Media course rather than A level English. Would Liverpool Uni let me in with the BND or have I shot myself in the foot?

Although I've spent this thread slagging the place off, JMU is better for journalism and media shite in general.

I did English at Liverpool 04/05 and couldn't believe how fucking lazy the students were - hardly anyone would read the course material and there were one or two who I'd doubt had even finished a book. Bunch of cunts. Jibbing the degree and becoming an autodidact ftw!

I'm considering doing my part time masters at LJM, the area i want to study only a few unis do it plus the course is accredited which is quite important for me.

Plus its closer than the other 2 options which are Plymouth & Edinburgh (live in midlands so i'm fucked) so i can travel up there 1 day a week easily without forking out for hotel.

JMU is just like a city centre 6th form college, there's that many live at home locals there.

I think it has the highest proportion of local students of any University in the country.

You find that also happen where other cities have 2 uni's, Manchester Uni & MMU are the same MMU is full of locals whereas Manchester Uni has much less.

Liverpool John Moores University...anyone know anything about it

Hello.

I have given seminars at LJM. I studied for a period at Hope University, however. Could you be a bit more specific as per the courses you are interested in, please? LJM is strong in certain areas: media is of note.

What information are you looking for, exactly: undergraduate, post-graduate, masters, PHD, PGCE, etcetera?

Hello.

I have given seminars at LJM. I studied for a period at Hope University, however. Could you be a bit more specific as per the courses you are interested in, please? LJM is strong in certain areas: media is of note.

What information are you looking for, exactly: undergraduate, post-graduate, masters, PHD, PGCE, etcetera?

He wants to know the quality of the clubs, beer & most importantly the clunge etcetera.

He wants to know the quality of the clubs, beer & most importantly the clunge etcetera.

Ah. Well, in that case I'll be of little use. I spent most of my time there seeing films in the Box at FACT. Only occasionally did I venture beyond those walls: Passion to India was a popular haunt of mine. For what it's worth, the bars on Wood Street were always busy. However, I once saw a girl fall out of a bar on Wood Street, puke all over her dress and then proceed to massage said puke into her bosom. Needless to say she probably had trouble hailing a taxi.

Ah. Well, in that case I'll be of little use. I spent most of my time there seeing films in the Box at FACT. Only occasionally did I venture beyond those walls: Passion to India was a popular haunt of mine. For what it's worth, the bars on Wood Street were always busy. However, I once saw a girl fall out of a bar on Wood Street, puke all over her dress and then proceed to massage said puke into her bosom. Needless to say she probably had trouble hailing a taxi.

Krazyhouse?

Some info about John Moores Uni you say? I'll give it a go.

The university itself was founded in 1579, making it the third oldest university in the world. It has had a few famous names study in its doors, of which I wont bore you the details.

Despite popular belief ,the university isnt actually named after Sir John Moores (a British businessman and philanthropist most famous for the founding of the now defunct Littlewoods retail company that was located in Liverpool, England) but was actually named after one of the Professors then boyfriend (John) and pet dog (Moores).

Obviously in those times homosexuality was punishable by death, henseforth the Professor told everyone that the university was actually named after a businessman from the future. Sadly, the people decided the Professor was mad and hung him anyway.

In 1804 the university was moved brick by brick 200 miles down the road. As it was called "Liverpool John Moores University", it seemed a little redundant the university being in Somerset. The buildings you see today are the exact same shape and strucure as the buildings back in 1804 in Somerset.

In world war two John Moores University was hit by a bomb. If you look for photos before the war, all JMU buildings were actually right next to each other on Mount Pleasant. The explosion scattered the buildings across to the furthest reaches of Liverpool Town Centre and beyond, making Liverpool John Moores University the most rediculously spread University in the history of University. Surprisingly, none of the buldings were damaged in the explosion.

That should be enough for now. Let me know if you need any more info.

Krazyhouse?

Yes. Are you familiar with its 'Rage and Anger' nights? I never went to one, to be honest. I always found parking on Wood Street around 7pm, when the loading bays became available. However, I would always return around midnight to find broken glass strewn across the road and girls in halterneck dresses puking, fighting, and shouting expletives at the tops of their voices. I have a Liverpool badge in my rear window. That didn't prevent one girl from referring to me as a 'Yakubu fucking cunt' when I asked her to move her ass off my bonnet.

Good times.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I did my (attempt at) PGCE at JMU. It was a bit shit to be honest.

I've not kept upto date with your Canada thread, but I hope it went well for you, mate.

Go to Uni of Liverpool...much better you all know it.

It depends on the course. LJM provides some fantastic courses that are cut above those at the University of Liverpool. A lot depends on the lecturer you end up with, too. Keele has a history department on par with Oxford and Cambridge. However, during my time there I was guided by a proto-feminist who hated any student who wrote anything remotely derogative about women. When studying medieval England, such a task is difficult to undertake--especially when one of the topics was the Mysticism of Margery Kemp. LJM has a good Law department.

It depends on the course. LJM provides some fantastic courses that are cut above those at the University of Liverpool. A lot depends on the lecturer you end up with, too. Keele has a history department on par with Oxford and Cambridge. However, during my time there I was guided by a proto-feminist who hated any student who wrote anything remotely derogative about women. When studying medieval England, such a task is difficult to undertake--especially when one of the topics was the Mysticism of Margery Kemp. LJM has a good Law department.

LJMU's law department come near bottom out of every uni in the country.

LJMU is not part of the Russel group, it will beat Liverpool Uni in the likes of media studies and Sports science as Liverpool uni don't offer them subjects.

Where the courses are the same which I don't think there are too many then Liverpool uni will beat LJMU. LJMU is just a polytecnic going under the name of a university, it is very good at what it does and is a vital part in providing skills for the economy, but it doesn't come close to Liverpool uni.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Keele has a history department on par with Oxford and Cambridge.

suspicious.jpg

LJM has a good Law department

picture1vut.jpg

LJMU's law department come near bottom out of every uni in the country.

Not this year it hasn't. Two of its students have made it to the 2010 Client Interviewing and Counselling Competition (CICC), and the Faculty of Business and Law recently reached the finals of the 2010 Greater China Business Awards for the North West. In addition it is set to be commended for its progress.