You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blimey people can be so protective over academia.

I Chose one that involved as little attendance as possible, limited the number of days i had to travel and had some fantastic lecturers.

I attended twice a day for 37 weeks of the year. Supposedly. My degree will be somewhere in the 2:1 range if i pull my finger out, i average mid 60's. What will i do with it? Fuck all, i'm only doing it as i didn't get into the course i wanted, nor did i fancy returning to a shitty paid job. The end of this one i'll either do a social work masters or go on to an NHS based degree. Limited jobs so i may aswell stay in education a bit longer if its feasible. I'm a lazy cow.

Seriously, lighten up. Most people at 18 years or rather 17 when they fill in the UCAS form can't have the slightest clue what's in front of them, thus where they go to uni and what they do there probably won't matter much in 20 years. Though i can't predict the future so i may be talking complete bollocks.

So your female then?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that might come under their classification. The awarding of a First Class degree (irrespective of the establishment) is more than adequate in showing some real aptitude.[/quote

Are you suggesting a first class degree in microbiology from Oxford shows the same level of aptitude as a first class degree in business studies from LJMU?

Guest The Chimp
I believe that might come under their classification. The awarding of a First Class degree (irrespective of the establishment) is more than adequate in showing some real aptitude.[/quote

Are you suggesting a first class degree in microbiology from Oxford shows the same level of aptitude as a first class degree in business studies from LJMU?

Not at all, but then you 'asked' for something that would (and I'm paraphrasing) help you to sort out the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I was simply replying that a first class degree would demonstrate that the peson coming out from whatever institution was not a "buffoon". As an aside, my previous posts make it pretty obvious that I do believe there are distinctions to be drawn in where one gets one's degree from.

Well, you said that the smart people go to Uni and the dim got to Poly. I think it's much more accurate to say that some smart people go to Uni, so do some fuckin' idiots. Some smart people go to shit Universities, too.

No, just less elitist.

I'd say that it's about the same.

I'll expand on my previous comment. Smart people go to uni. Unfortunately, uni's have lowered standards over the years and now accept not so smart people. Polytechnics (or metropolitan univerisities) get the people that still can't get into proper universities - the really really thick cunts.

Elitism is an accusation levelled by people who are afraid to be judged. What is the point of a qualification that is not elitist?

As for saying the standard of graduates is about the same, you are wrong, by virtue of the fact of your previous point. By being less discerning on who can and cannot achieve a degree, you are inevitably lowering standards. Any dim fuck can pick up what on the face of it looks like a decent degree. Degrees are barely worth the paper they're written on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Elitism is an accusation levelled by people who are afraid to be judged. What is the point of a qualification that is not elitist?

As somebody that has achieved academically, I'm more than happy to be judged. What I'm saying is that we once had a system that was very, very elitist and not in the way you're talking about with your comment. Of course degrees, Masters degrees and Doctorates are elitist, but the people gaining them don't have to come from an elitist background. Not anymore.

As for saying the standard of graduates is about the same, you are wrong, by virtue of the fact of your previous point.

I didn't say the standards of graduates is about the same. Your comment was about the ''whole country getting smarter''. I'd say it's about the same, if not marginally better.

By being less discerning on who can and cannot achieve a degree, you are inevitably lowering standards.

If the standard required to obtain a degree, it doesn't matter how many people try to gain one. My point here isn't about whether it has become easier to get one, it's about people being allowed to try for one.

Any dim fuck can pick up what on the face of it looks like a decent degree. Degrees are barely worth the paper they're written on.

Well, we're certainly going to have to disagree there.

I'll expand on my previous comment. Smart people go to uni. Unfortunately, uni's have lowered standards over the years and now accept not so smart people. Polytechnics (*or metropolitan univerisities) get the people that still can't get into proper universities - the really really thick cunts.

As for saying the standard of graduates is about the same, you are wrong, by virtue of the fact of your previous point. By being less discerning on who can and cannot achieve a degree, you are inevitably lowering standards. Any dim fuck can pick up what on the face of it looks like a decent degree. Degrees are barely worth the paper they're written on.

I thought Manchester Uni had joined with their poly to form a Metropolitan uni and that is why I said in my earlier post that I thought it would be a good idea for both UoL and JMU to join, I now no longer belive that.

Do you not accept the the economy needs a more educated work force and uni's like LJMU are a good way of providing the skills required? It seems to me that you some how seem threatened by the fact that someone who is less gifted academicaly than you can get a degree. Why would you feel the need to differentiate between your degree and someone who went to LJMU. Surely as I have said the place where the degree is obtained is proof of the academic ability of the individual who obtained them.

Surely the exams that are sat on a law degree in JMU are in no way similar or as difficult as an exam you would sit while doing law at oxbridge or a red brick uni?

For the record what uni did you go to?

So your female then?

I was the last time i checked.

So was the name Melons a cryptic clue to her gender then?

And then some!

I'm lost to how a man would have the name melons and a rose as his avatar?

My user name is something skidders came up with it. There's a thread for those with shit user names, you might want to try it out R Kid reads as very manc to me?

Here you go, i even found the link for ya. x

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/59064-forumites-shit-handles.html

you know i think i'll bump it an all.

I'm lost to how a man would have the name melons and a rose as his avatar?.

Now you come ton mention it!

My user name is something skidders came up with it. There's a thread for those with shit user names, you might want to try it out R Kid reads as very manc to me?

Here you go, i even found the link for ya. x

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/59064-forumites-shit-handles.html

you know i think i'll bump it an all.

Our Kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our kid was a band from way back but in a scouse accent we don't pronounce it our we go R.

And for the record I call my brother R kid.

Now you come ton mention it!

Our Kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our kid was a band from way back but in a scouse accent we don't pronounce it our we go R.

And for the record I call my brother R kid.

Seems I'm too young to remember these, i like it!

I do know a little about accents, funnily enough. I call my younger brothers dip stick and knob job respectively.

There are still much better user name options available.

Seems I'm too young to remember these, i like it!

I do know a little about accents, funnily enough. I call my younger brothers dip stick and knob job respectively.

There are still much better user name options available.

They are well before my time as well, but as I use R kid and I did know of the existance of the band I thought it was a decent user name. But I am now having second thoguhts.

If you want to study Law and you can go elsewhere then go elsewhere.

It is not a Russel Group University which means it isn'ta top uni. The university was a technical college before it became a uni i.e. it was a polytecnic.

Russell Group: Home

I don't know what kind of job you would get after studying law at JMU, but Idon't think you will end up on the bar.

Sorry for being pedantic R Kid, but that's a bit of an inaccurate generalisation. Take Durham, not a Russell Group uni, but the 4th best university in Britain at the moment. York, Lancaster, St Andrews - all in the top 10 and not Russell Group.

Sorry for being pedantic R Kid, but that's a bit of an inaccurate generalisation. Take Durham, not a Russell Group uni, but the 4th best university in Britain at the moment. York, Lancaster, St Andrews - all in the top 10 and not Russell Group.

Okay then my bad please do forgive me, but if you don't mind me asking why does the Russel group make the claim of having the top 20 uni's in the country? Maybe it comes down to the fact the Durham is good at certain subjects in the same way the Royal college of art is only good for art but doesnt make it onto the Russel group list. And on that logic neither does the surgical college.

And if you look at my posts you will see that I haven't been bashing JMU.

Okay then my bad please do forgive me, but if you don't mind me asking why does the Russel group make the claim of having the top 20 uni's in the country? Maybe it comes down to the fact the Durham is good at certain subjects in the same way the Royal college of art is only good for art but doesnt make it onto the Russel group list. And on that logic neither does the surgical college.

And if you look at my posts you will see that I haven't been bashing JMU.

The Russell Group is made up of 20 universities, and of those only 13 are in the top 20 unis in the country. The league table is comprised of a number of criteria like how many students complete their studies, student satisfaction, money spent by the uni per student, how many graduates go on to find employment etc. I think the whole Russell Group thing is just red-brick snobbery. You need to have a good look at the tables by subject, as you say.

JMU is in 102nd place out of a total of 114, which is frankly shit. Liverpool is in 32nd place (even though it's Russell Group).

I'm looking at unis at the moment with my eldest. He is veering towards Warwick, Durham and Bath, which are all top 6 for Maths. I half wish he'd go to JMU just so I could keep hold of him!

The Russell Group is made up of 20 universities, and of those only 13 are in the top 20 unis in the country. The league table is comprised of a number of criteria like how many students complete their studies, student satisfaction, money spent by the uni per student, how many graduates go on to find employment etc. I think the whole Russell Group thing is just red-brick snobbery. You need to have a good look at the tables by subject, as you say.

JMU is in 102nd place out of a total of 114, which is frankly shit. Liverpool is in 32nd place (even though it's Russell Group).

I'm looking at unis at the moment with my eldest. He is veering towards Warwick, Durham and Bath, which are all top 6 for Maths. I half wish he'd go to JMU just so I could keep hold of him!

Where are the lists that you use to comapare universities, and not being funny or anything but I woulnd't attend JMU to study mathematics.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I went to University of British Columbia, and its one of the top Universities on the planet.

I wouldn't go that mad! ;)

Guest TesticleOReilly
I went to University of British Columbia, and its one of the top Universities on the planet.

I also went to John Moores, which isn't...

Do I get to be elitist?

My cousin's there, now.

He's a fuckin' mong who has to take his dick out to count to eleven.

My cousin's there, now.

He's a fuckin' mong who has to take his dick out to count to eleven.

Wjhat does he do when he needs to count to twelve?

Regarding the Russell Group at one time i guess it may have had the top 20 unis or close to it but i agree with SKI in that it's more about red brick snobbery.