You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Awful Football Endorsements - Computer Games

That Shilton game sounds like the shittest ever! From the page :

"As you'd expect from a hastily put together attempt to cash in on England's failure, the game wasn't up to much. Rather than controlling the whole team, you were merely in control of the goalkeeper in games that looked like they were being played on the moon.

Your team would score goals at random (which you didn't even get to see onscreen), leaving you to save shots from the opposition's forwards and secure victory. With only single matches available, rather than league or cup competitions, there was very little to keep you coming back for more. "

The Gazza game without a scrolling pitch either, split into thirds and it just flips onto a new screen when you get so far. That's seriously bad. And Glenn Hoddle's name spelt wrong for his game? Fucked up.

Also if you check the Shilton clip, his attempt at saving our 6th goal is truly shocking. He must've been paid to throw the match.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Funny one about the Emlyn Hghes game: it started like as International Soccer by Commodore for the 64, then got rereleased as Emlyn Hughes International Soccer (game remained identical) and then World Cup 90 was the same game engine with a different menu system and international teams from that World Cup. By that time it stank against other games. Nerdy, eh? :D

The old Playstation game cases were so shit. they always ended up being broken.

Aye. Plus the little sheet that was in the pocket with the picture of the game would go missing so all you discs would end up in different boxes.

I can remember playing some naff games with similar graphics on a Commodore 64.

I used to love Football Manager on the C64, then I realised that the results were often suspiciously out of synch with the quality of the teams, so I decided to put out a 'team' with no players - and we won 3-0.

I felt pretty fucking disillusioned.

I and a few mates had the Brian Clough game. It was a board game and computer game rolled into one, You had a team that had to play 4-3-3 and a load of cards with players names on with ratings out of 5. You drew cards etc to get your team. At the start of each game you entered the numerical values of your defence midfield and attack and the computer calcualted results.

The think I remember most is you would be doing really well when all of a sudden you got a message saying your two best players had died in a car crash, all very tastefull not unlike the nutter who endorsed the game.

Guest Pistonbroke
I used to love Football Manager on the C64, then I realised that the results were often suspiciously out of synch with the quality of the teams, so I decided to put out a 'team' with no players - and we won 3-0.

I felt pretty fucking disillusioned.

I know what you mean, can't believe i spent hundreds of hours playing that gash.