You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Thanks for providing the perfect example for me.  The Italians famed for being the best defenders making an absolute show of themselves because they’d clearly never seen a fella drop his shoulder before.  You could put A top amateur player from 2020 on that pitch and they would be comfortably the best player there.  2 passes across the pitch and Carlos Alberto has got a free shot at goal.

I get it though I’m supposed to be amazed by the dribbling and passing play as if this would bamboozle any defence or team in history.  It’s laughable.

22 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Great that, glad it shows  Clodoaldo bringing the ball out losing 3/4 players, Left back I think, who was right back? 

A true great sporting moment and I watched the whole tournament when shown on telly about 15 odd years ago, pity they don't show it now, 

Evaraldo right back? 

26 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

what rot.  Any modern player would do a metatarsal kicking the sort of balls they used to use.  Wearing boots that were hardly the last word in mobility and playing on pitches you wouldn't play a Sunday league game on these days.  

17 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Thanks for providing the perfect example for me.  The Italians famed for being the best defenders making an absolute show of themselves because they’d clearly never seen a fella drop his shoulder before.  You could put A top amateur player from 2020 on that pitch and they would be comfortably the best player there.  2 passes across the pitch and Carlos Alberto has got a free shot at goal.

I get it though I’m supposed to be amazed by the dribbling and passing play as if this would bamboozle any defence or team in history.  It’s laughable.

This was my test to see if The Guest was just bored out of his tits and so dropping hand grenades all over the place to fruitlessly try and abate his cabin fever. 

And he fell into my little trap because I’m so bloody clever. @The Guest I have outed you. Now admit your dastardly plan, and stop this craziness. 

20 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Pele just allowed to sit on the edge of the area in space.  Madhouse. 

8 minutes ago, stringvest said:

what rot.  Any modern player would do a metatarsal kicking the sort of balls they used to use.  Wearing boots that were hardly the last word in mobility and playing on pitches you wouldn't play a Sunday league game on these days.  

Clearly written by someone who hasn’t seen any sort of grassroots football any time recently.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

This was my test to see if The Guest was just bored out of his tits and so dropping hand grenades all over the place to fruitlessly try and abate his cabin fever. 

And he fell into my little trap because I’m so bloody clever. @The Guest I have outed you. Now admit your dastardly plan, and stop this craziness. 

Hahaha you’ve got me.  It’s a great goal to be fair.  There’s a lot of truth in what I’m saying though is what rustles so many jimmies.  You’ve just got turn it up a notch.  The forum has been a fucking morgue and it seems to have woken a few people up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Hahaha you’ve got me.  It’s a great goal to be fair.  There’s a lot of truth in what I’m saying though is what rustles so many jimmies.  You’ve just got turn it up a notch.  The forum has been a fucking morgue and it seems to have woken a few people up.

The forum is at its most interesting when we're absolutely shite.

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Young and Harvey would be in there

Going through some of my Dads stuff the other day he had trials at the same time as Brian Labone every team photo he has he and Labone are together.

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The control from @Jairzinho is world class and the finish is good, but that this is viewed as some all-time great team goal is a bit much. 

I don't think so, but maybe it's got a lot to do with the era, colour TV, of course Brazil for some of a certain age, so for me it's great, Norman Whitesides goal against Southall in the cup final many years later is one of the best for me, but it doesn't matter at all. 

45 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Going through some of my Dads stuff the other day he had trials at the same time as Brian Labone every team photo he has he and Labone are together.

Labone got a good Obituary in the Times, an accomplished Centre Half and well respected by players, didn't he withdraw from the 66 squad as he was getting married? Went to Mexico 70 though. They'll be good photos to have. 

5 hours ago, The Guest said:

People are too emotional about it all.  Go and watch a game from the 70s or 80s and look at the vast difference to now.  I find the funniest clips to be ones of Maradona doing stuff 12 year old kids can do these days and the comments sections are always full of the general public talking as if no player has ever done anything like it since.  These players were obviously fantastic at the time and were pioneers but the skills, positioning and reading of the game that were the top of the game have since been taught and implemented generation on generation.  Those teams of that time would struggle to beat 4th tier teams now.

I get what you’re saying, but having been born in the 80s, I won’t talk about the 70s or 80s... but football today compared to the late 90s lack a bit of skills and fantasy IMO. The players these days are fit, quick, and tactically sound... but they lack a bit of freedom or fantasy compared to those in the 90s. Maybe it’s because we don’t play with liberos or no 10s anymore. Let’s compare the national teams.. Brazil back then you had your Rivaldo, Leonardo, Bebeto, Ronaldo... players who relied on flair to win them games, and now they only really have Neymar, who’s admittedly world class at carrying the ball, but he’s proven to be too soft and cowardly to ever be included on the list of all time greats. 
Argentina had the likes of Ortega, Aimar, Veron, Riquelme, Redondo... now bar Messi, their team are probably Championship standard, their next next creative player is Lo Celso! 

Germany had Möller, Häßler, Sammer, Scholl... fuck the likes of Basler, Thon and Effenberg couldn’t even get a game! These days.. Kroos does their playmaking from deep, but there’s not much else in terms of flair from them. England in 96, they had Sheringham, Gascoigne and McManaman as the creative types... You even had David Platt at RB at times no? England are a really good team these days, but just a bit boring to watch compared to back then.

19 hours ago, The Guest said:

People are too emotional about it all.  Go and watch a game from the 70s or 80s and look at the vast difference to now.  I find the funniest clips to be ones of Maradona doing stuff 12 year old kids can do these days and the comments sections are always full of the general public talking as if no player has ever done anything like it since.  These players were obviously fantastic at the time and were pioneers but the skills, positioning and reading of the game that were the top of the game have since been taught and implemented generation on generation.  Those teams of that time would struggle to beat 4th tier teams now.

You’re either pissed, trolling or clueless, and I don’t think you’re clueless.