You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think a some fans have him as the most talented player to have ever played for the club, and maybe having had the single most outrageously good season. However "best" probably requires a greater degree of longevity, and the cause is also helped by a perception (rightly or wrongly) that a player has a degree of affiliation with the club. 

If I was to answer my own question about who’s the fourth best player Liverpool have ever had (trying not to derail the thread) I’d have had Suarez in the mix but would ultimately have had him further down due to length of service and maybe because I can’t get past some of the less attractive sides to his character. 

My answer, in case anyone is interested, would be John Barnes. Talent plus loyalty gets him ahead of Suarez. Honourable mentions for Keegan, Hansen, Rush and Rob Jones (I’m only partly joking. I honestly think that without injuries he’d have been the greatest English right back ever).

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

My response wasn’t patronising. It was a genuine, clear comment.  

You said:

So I think my comment that you've never seen him play stands up. But now you’ve added that his role as manager made him a hero to you. Fair enough. In my mind this list is about the footballers, and you’ve dismissed one because you “never saw him play” but have made another No.1 based on what he did as manager given you’ve clearly stated you were “too young register” him as a player.  So I think I read your post properly and don’t think I’ve misquoted you at all. And as such I think my comment about your post was fair and not patronising at all. If only you could read things properly, eh? (Jokingly patronising) 

Now you’ve added the bits about Souness’s job as manager and the Sun article I feel that adds a lot more to your reasoning. Loads of people understandably can’t get past that when thinking about Souness and his place in our club greats list. I 100% get that. I’ve seen him apologise multiple times for the Sun article, and I feel those apologies were genuine and heartfelt and so I’ve moved on from it. I think he 100% regrets it. In fact I know it, and so I’ve forgiven him in my head and moved on. Many haven’t. I think it’s sad that they can’t find it in them to forgive something from 30 years ago that the person has repeatedly and profoundly apologised for, but that’s absolutely their prerogative.

He also cocked up as manager, but I’m absolutely fine with that. I was very happy when he took over. He came in with his ideas and they failed. He didn’t do it on purpose and he lost his job, so I’ve no issue there. That’s just football. 

I’m not suggesting Kenny shouldn’t be No. 1, but I’m also not suggesting he should be. The position is meritorious. If somebody thinks a player was better, then make your case. @The Guest doesn’t rate older players at all, so he most likely doesn’t have Kenny at one. At a wild guess, I reckon Gerrard is his No. 1. And that’s fine. But as it’s a footy forum we get to question it too. Just as he has downplayed and questioned our choices. But I certainly hope at some point Kenny slips from number 1 as that'll mean we’ve signed an amazing player at some point in the future. 

I will never forgive Souness for the rag incident nor his abysmal time as manager,but it doesn't prevent me from saying what a great player he was for us and rightfully deserves to be among our best ever. Even mentioning Jovanovic and Konchesky in the same thread as Dalglish,Souness,Barnes,Rush etc is mind blowing.

16 hours ago, The Guest said:

I understand it’s hard for people to accept but it’s the reality of it.  Joe Cole will have been fitter than any player of that era even though he was woefully past it at that point.

I thought I'd cast Joe fuckin' Cole out of my mind years ago. Why has he appeared in a thread about a great player, and him being compared to other great players, baffling. 

Always remember Joe Cole getting the runaround in a reserve game, puffing out of his arse before half time. 

A modern example that you can't get away with smoking and drinking anymore, no matter how talented you are.   And he was very fucking talented. 

52 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Always remember Joe Cole getting the runaround in a reserve game, puffing out of his arse before half time. 

A modern example that you can't get away with smoking and drinking anymore, no matter how talented you are.   And he was very fucking talented. 

Terry Mac ran all game, Joe Cole ran out of breath running on as a sub.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

My brother has a photo of him taken from the main stand of him doubled over, hands on his hips, blowing out his arse during the warm up. 

Right up there as one off our worst signings which considering his talent is crazy.

Was not arsed while he was here just happy to pick up his wage packet the lazy cunt. 

51 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Dalglish

Suarez

Gerrard

Barnes

Hansen

Rush

Souness

Alonso

Fowler

Hughes

Come at me. 

Hughes but no Keegan. No problem with Emlyn being on the list, just that if you’re including players from that era leaving Keegan out is an interesting call. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Hughes but no Keegan. No problem with Emlyn being on the list, just that if you’re including players from that era leaving Keegan out is an interesting call. 

Keegan is often overlooked in these - probably because of his time in Germany being seen as his best form.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yeah you are probably right and to be fair I was only born in 84. 

40 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’d like to come at you but I’ve had a stroke I’m so angry at some of your picks. 

Just touch it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Right up there as one off our worst signings which considering his talent is crazy.

Was not arsed while he was here just happy to pick up his wage packet the lazy cunt. 

Plus Carlo Ancelotti and Fabio Capello knew he was finished.

Dalglish is number one, the rest are in no particular order. Had to include Liddell, as I heard so many boss things about him from my dad and granddad. Ian Callaghan, McDermott and Molby all unlucky to miss out, but I had to include Hughes. Ten isn’t enough!

1. Dalglish

2. Souness

3. Gerrard

4. Barnes

5. Hansen

6. Keegan 

7. Hughes

8. Rush

9. Clemence

10. Liddell

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Dalglish is number one, the rest are in no particular order. Had to include Liddell, as I heard so many boss things about him from my dad and granddad. Ian Callaghan is unlucky to miss out but I had to include Molby. Ten isn’t enough!

1. Dalglish

2. Souness

3. Gerrard

4. Barnes

5. Hansen

6. Keegan 

7. Hughes

8. Molby

9. Clemence

10. Liddell

See you look at a list like that then piss yourself when you realise most blues have Tim Cahill in theirs. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

See you look at a list like that then piss yourself when you realise most blues have Tim Cahill in theirs. 

And that’s the list I posted before I realised that I’d forgotten Rush!

To be fair, a ‘Top 10 Everton Greats’ would  be pretty impressive. Cahill and Duncan Ferguson wouldn’t be anywhere near it though.

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

And that’s the list I posted before I realised that I’d forgotten Rush!

To be fair, a ‘Top 10 Everton Greats’ would  be pretty impressive. Cahill and Duncan Ferguson wouldn’t be anywhere near it though.

Dixie Dean would be somewhere near the top, I would imagine.

On 08/05/2020 at 08:54, belarus said:

Completely agree with this mate. Since he’s retired his stock seems to have dropped with our fans considerably.

Just my opinion, for me it's the opposite. With more hindsight on his career, I think Gerrard petered out quite noticeably. Though, the team was also mediocre with one exception in 13/14, I don't think he was very good from 2010 on. 

• Upvote 1