You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who will win the Ashes? (Ashes 2009 discussion)

Brownie

Who will win the 2009 Ashes?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2009 Ashes?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett Lee out of the 1st test with a rib injury, might be out for longer. Good news for England considering the way he bowled last week.

Excellent news. He was by far and away their best bowler and the only real potent weapon in their attack. This certainly tips the balance of power.

Just seen some of the wickets in the Sri Lanka v Pakistan test and if there is a worse Umpire in the world than Daryl Harper I'd like to see him, I could do with a laugh.

Time and time again this bastard shows himself up and yet he is still retained on the Elite list.

I'd say Simon Taufel and Aleem Dar are just about the best for my money.

I have a bad feeling about this, it took 3 months for my mate to shut up the last time you lot won and I have a feeling that Clarke is going to found out here, hope I'm wrong though. Just read about Lee as well, I don't feel anywhere near as confident as my mates do, this will be close.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

poundland have the boxset 3 dvd highlights of the 05 ashes 8 hours running time. Should be able to ebay it for £10. Happy days.

Don't you just love McGrath?

BBC SPORT | Cricket | International Teams | Australia | McGrath expects Aussie whitewash

Former Australia paceman Glenn McGrath has again predicted that England will lose the Ashes series 5-0. The 39-year-old, who retired in 2007, famously predicted a whitewash four years ago but was part of the side that was dramatically defeated 2-1.

But Australia's recent series win over South Africa has left McGrath in confident mood.

"If they can do the same and improve in one or two areas they will do really well and probably win 5-0," he said.

McGrath's former team-mate Shane Warne also thinks Australia should retain the Ashes, though he believes it might be closer.

"Looking at current form, Australia have been in transition but after a period of not playing well they have gone to South Africa and won, which is no mean feat," said Warne.

"England have struggled in the Test arena, they struggled against West Indies, so if you look at the form of both sides you'd have to say Australia are the favourites going into the series, though England have a big chance."

McGrath has something of a track record when it comes to predicting Australian whitewashes in the Ashes, coming out ahead of the 2005 and 2006-07 series to declare his expectation of a 5-0 win for his side.

He was off target in 2005 when Australia, not helped by the freak ankle injury McGrath suffered ahead of the second Test at Edgbaston, were edged out in a thrilling series on English soil.

But McGrath was spot on in the 2006-07 series as his side romped to a comprehensive 5-0 victory against an outclassed England.

His Test career came to an end after the fifth Test of that series in Sydney, having taken 563 Test wickets in 124 matches.

Cardiff will host the opening Test on Wednesday, with Australia still reeling from the news that fast bowler Brett Lee will be missing for two Tests with a torn rib muscle.

Speaking before the news of Lee's withdrawal, McGrath revealed his faith in Ricky Ponting's team having seen them complete a 2-1 series victory against South Africa in March.

"I've got total confidence in the boys, especially watching the way they played in South Africa in the last Test series," he added.

"I thought that would have given them a lot of confidence. They showed what they can do and the huge potential that they've got."

McGrath was drafted into the Australian camp last week to provide assistance with the visitors' bowling attack for the five-Test series.

He's on the wind up surely?

McGrath saying the aussies will win 5-0 is tradition. Like Al Daas saying we'll get snotted.

Its just something that has to happen for Ashes karma to be aligned.

I really really fancy England to win big at the moment, especially with Lee out for at least two tests. And I think the coaching of Mushy is going to bring a flood of wickets for Swann and Monty at Cardiff.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Strange that he seems to think there will be an Australian whitewash, if they are as good as he says they are then why the fuck come over here to coach them. Prick.

The ozzies have no really good baddies this time round.

I used to love McGrath & Warne because they we brilliant players and it was easy to hate them but this time round there's no real darth vader sized baddies in their side.

Gawdilocks - I'm going to neg you quite a lot this summer

Excellent news. He was by far and away their best bowler and the only real potent weapon in their attack. This certainly tips the balance of power.

Come on Rob. Was is the operative word. Mitchell Johnson has replaced Lee as the main strike bowler, hell even Hilfenhaus and Clarke are more potent weapons at present.

The ozzies have no really good baddies this time round.

I used to love McGrath & Warne because they we brilliant players and it was easy to hate them but this time round there's no real darth vader sized baddies in their side.

Gawdilocks - I'm going to neg you quite a lot this summer

Nah, it's surely impossible to hate Warne? He was always amazing to watch and was a great combination of the crafty, thinking cricketer and the rum entertainer.

I'm looking forward to the Ashes but watching them with no Warne involvement will mean they'll be a lesser spectacle.