You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Progress or not?

Code

This occurred to me today. What is with players arriving at Anfield expecting first team football?

Keane, Crouch, Heskey and Bellamy all left to play 1st team football but are now all in situations at other clubs where they can hardly be considered automatic 1st choice, yet they don't seem to be fussing.

That really pisses me off. Liverpool is bigger than all of their present clubs. If asked to be on the bench for the good of the team, this is the club to do it at. And right now, if they were still at the club, they would be getting their chance to shine.

Anyway, i don't have the time to expand on this post. I just look at our depth and think, what the hell is wrong with those players?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This occurred to me today. What is with players arriving at Anfield expecting first team football?

Keane, Crouch, Heskey and Bellamy all left to play 1st team football but are now all in situations at other clubs where they can hardly be considered automatic 1st choice, yet they don't seem to be fussing.

That really pisses me off. Liverpool is bigger than all of their present clubs. If asked to be on the bench for the good of the team, this is the club to do it at. And right now, if they were still at the club, they would be getting their chance to shine.

Anyway, i don't have the time to expand on this post. I just look at our depth and think, what the hell is wrong with those players?

I'll give you a better example. The same way that Owen left Liverpool to "win trophies" (oh how far back that seems now), he left Real Madrid to play first team football at Newcastle, but now is warming the bench almost every game for the scum. Fuck him.

I thought this same thing last week....

Our bench players are (honestly) crap, yet the above mentioned could have been here if they had accepted things like they are doing now...

I find it amazing, but we will survive....

Keane didn't leave to play 1st team football. He left because he was told to and he wasn't wanted.

Crouch left because he wasn't even guaranteed a place on the bench, and at times was behind Voronin. He also claims he was never actually offered a contract, and he felt the manager wanted him out.

Bellamy left because it just didn't work out. He rarely showed his best form and we weren't the kind of side that played to his strengths.

As for Heskey, I don't care why he left I just hope he never returns.

I think it's clear that if you look at some of the personnel we had in attack, midfield and defence in recent years and compare it to now, there's no way you can say we've made progress.

Is the correct answer.

I think some performances last season were awful, but we had enough individual brilliance to pull it out the bag.

Finnan or Babbel are better than any of our right backs (very pleased for Martin Kelly last night though)

Riise is better than any of our left backs (Aurelio would be if he stayed fit long enough)

Hyypia is better than any of our centre backs

Didi is better than any of our defensive midfielders

Even Kewell is better than any of our left midfield options (and that is painful)

The cracks are starting to show big time. I REALLY want us to prove everyone wrong and to be honest there isn't much point sacking him and paying off 4 and a half years (which just seems jaw droppingly insane and a result of the huge off the field problems). But a manager is judged by results - and not those last season or in 05 and 06.

We do not look very good and that's that.

My ONLY hope this season is somehow top 4 and all the deadwood gone in January or end of season.

My ONLY hope this season is somehow top 4 and all the deadwood gone in January or end of season.

thats is the best case scenario, but i wouldnt even give you good odds on that.

I've never ever been negative about the team, right now im worried and personally cant blame the manager even though hes made some bad buys it would be a catastrophy if he left.

The media hysteria is really pissing me off at the moment. There are so many twats lining up to take a pop.

We desparately need new investment.

thats is the best case scenario, but i wouldnt even give you good odds on that.

I've never ever been negative about the team, right now im worried and personally cant blame the manager even though hes made some bad buys it would be a catastrophy if he left.

The media hysteria is really pissing me off at the moment. There are so many twats lining up to take a pop.

We desparately need new investment.

Also pretty much true dude

Keane didn't leave to play 1st team football. He left because he was told to and he wasn't wanted.

Crouch left because he wasn't even guaranteed a place on the bench, and at times was behind Voronin. He also claims he was never actually offered a contract, and he felt the manager wanted him out.

Bellamy left because it just didn't work out. He rarely showed his best form and we weren't the kind of side that played to his strengths.

As for Heskey, I don't care why he left I just hope he never returns.

It amounts to the same thing though Dave.

We buy these strikers, presumably to be first 11 players. They don't cut it as first 11 players, there is friction between player and manager as a result, and the player leaves. As a result of our inability to keep match ready, good strikers happy, we are stuck with the likes of Ngog and Voronin. And Voronin's already spent a season on loan due to lack of football.

Its incredible really.

The first few years of Rafa's reign, the press focused on the rotation system. Yet, its clear that there must be a well established first 11 within Melwood, because despite the 'rotation system' we can't please any of our strikers, bar Torres.

• 5 months later...
I`m not obsessed with stats at all, I just dont feel like going overboard saying how massivly we have improved when in reality the results in 4 games in a 38 game season is what has made us reach this position compared to other seasons.

I`m not overly excited with a season where we have dropped points in 38,88% of our home matches in the league, where we have failed to score twice against the mighty Stoke, where we lost to probably relegated Boro, where we did not progress apst the 4th round in any domestic Cup, where we were the only teal from the top 4 who failed to reach the semi finals both in the Fa Cup and the CL.

Yes we have really played some great football lately after we released the leashes but at the end of the day it got us nowhere.

If we start like this next season not sitting back and just have a go from the off well then thats great, then we have made progress as it would be clear Rafa has finally understood a draw will get you nowhere in this league, but untill then I`ll sit back enjoy our great spell at the moment, the fact we still are in the title race but no way will I say we have made great progress.

Having to rely on beating the mancs and Chelsea twice each season to be in this position is a bit to random for my taste to call it great progress as well, we have gone backwards against the lesser teams and thats why we have not go this league wrapped up already and for me thats not progress.

Progress is stable higher performances over time, not gaining vital points in 1/10 of the games.

I dont think our miserable Cup season should be overlooked as easily either as a few seems to do.

This is what I wrote at the end of last season and got ridiculed because of it.

Let me ask again, was it actual progress we saw last season?