You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car mechanics, the theiving bastards.

Redder Lurtz

Took my car in for an MOT yesterday to a place close to where I live. They failed it on the rear subframe, front nearside suspension wishbone and some other stuff. They wanted £650 to get it through the test.

I wasn't too happy so I've just taken it somewhere else for a second opinion. He failed it too on a handbrake cable and a front sidelight. That's it. £120 max including the test fee. The bloke showed me the subframe, pointed out that there's fuck all wrong with it, same with the wishbone.

Makes you wonder how many poor bastards get ripped off by twats like the guys I first went to. Cunts. I now have to go over to see them and pay them the £40 they charged me for doing my MOT which, as you can imagine, I'm over the moon* about.

* For Hamstrung's benefit, as this is Yorkshire, that's "ovvat mooon" as per Shannon Matthews' dad on TV when he found Shannon had been hidden in a bed.

The bloke who does my MOTs is sound. He'll let you watch as he's doing it, points out various odds&sods and explains everything he tests for. For the last MOT, it failed on the front brakes being out of balance. He showed me the printout explaining this and told me "Take it home, probably one of the pads seized up. Grease it up with copper grease and bring it back. Or, I'll do it for you for a tenner".

Result!

You could go to the Police and claim one of them raped you and you may not have to pay the bill.

Only if he gets locked in the office or something for 3 days first.

I had a tow bar fitted on my car today, quoted just short of £400 last month for it, i'm hoping a suck treat will suffice. :whoops:

Only if he gets locked in the office or something for 3 days first.

I had a tow bar fitted on my car today, quoted just short of £400 last month for it, i'm hoping a suck treat will suffice. :whoops:

For £400? You better have some skills, Melons, like serious 'crouching tiger, hidden penis' skills.

£400!

That is a bit steep that

I chased up the cost of the tow bar itself, £140 +vat, then labour, then VAT. Then what ever else they found. Like erm, Oil, break fluid, coolant. They know the miles i do so keep a pretty good eye on most things when its in.

I got it a couple of months ago, i've done almost 3k miles so far.

For £400? You better have some skills, Melons, like serious 'crouching tiger, hidden penis' skills.

I'm told i have excellent skills.

She might have been planning to give him one a week for the next year. £10 a go, plus interest, take 2 weeks off for Christmas and 2 in the summer, sounds about right.

Fuck off, when he was single and we were 'friends' my car was in top working order for far less.

Here's the thing. Garages are rip offs and cunts as are loads of services just like that like plumbers and electricians and builders. They know we don't know how much things like this really cost and what is a fair price so they take us for every penny they think they can get away with. I often see people bemoaning the fact that chains have came in and knocked the small business man for six and how they can't compete, can't survive; well you know what? serves them fucking right for being greedy cunts!

I wish some huge company would open a chain of garages with transparent pricing and price wars and all that shit and basically run all of these fucking cowboys in to the ground. I could happily see the same happen to all those gas fitters who charge you 900 quid an hour to come and hoover out the back of your fireplace too. It's fucking immoral and I'd love it, just love it if a big boy company was formed who sent them all bankrupt. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner to be honest.

If there was a smartprice garage, I'd fucking use it.

Here's the thing. Garages are rip offs and cunts as are loads of services just like that like plumbers and electricians and builders. They know we don't know how much things like this really cost and what is a fair price so they take us for every penny they think they can get away with. I often see people bemoaning the fact that chains have came in and knocked the small business man for six and how they can't compete, can't survive; well you know what? serves them fucking right for being greedy cunts!

I wish some huge company would open a chain of garages with transparent pricing and price wars and all that shit and basically run all of these fucking cowboys in to the ground. I could happily see the same happen to all those gas fitters who charge you 900 quid an hour to come and hoover out the back of your fireplace too. It's fucking immoral and I'd love it, just love it if a big boy company was formed who sent them all bankrupt. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner to be honest.

If there was a smartprice garage, I'd fucking use it.

Ooo, get you !