You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Cup

PaulMcC

I did some reading about Dalla Valle and he mentioned that he was told about a fixed progression type thing, he was expected to do two years in the academy then two years in the reserves. It seems as though there is a very definite program that the players are following so TBH I don't expect to see players all of a sudden being fast tracked. I'm sure there will be exceptions but it seems to me that players will be brought through much the way Insua has. A little bit at a time, gradually exposed to first team football and all the attendant pressures. Throwing someone in too early could set them back, the staff clearly understand that and are willing to hold someone back for a while to make sure they have the best chance to succeed when finally given a chance.

That's a poor way of doing things IMO. All players are different, and if a player, no matter what his age is standing out in the level that he is playing, then he should be gradually eased into the next level of football. I appreciate the fact that players thrown in the deep end too soon can be detrimental to their progression, but at a club like ours, none of the youth players will have the chance to be thrown in at the deep end.

I mean for some players, it will work well, as they may need to work on their fitness and physique, aswell as their mentality, but their shouldn't really be a set way of doing things.

In the case of Insua he didn't follow the process that is in your post. We signed him when he was 17, and went straight into the reserve side, and then he made his first team debut later on in the 06/07 season when he was 18.

But that is a good example of how things should be done. If you have a player who is 16, and sticks out as consistently being one of the best at Academy level, do you keep him there for two seasons being better than the rest, or do you gradually ease him into reserve team football and see how he fares there?

As much as putting someone on a bigger stage too soon can damage their confidence and progression, the same can be done by keeping them at a lower level for longer, as they can stagnate in their development, because they are not testing their ability against players similar to theirs.

Other big clubs have done things differently, and promoted their players to the first team squad when they were younger, Balotelli was 16 when he was moved to the first team squad at Inter, and Davide Santon was 17. As much as I hate to mention him, Kiko Macheda is only 17 and would now appear to be on the fringes of the first team squad at Man Utd. And we all know about Arsenal's policy with the younger players.

As far as I'm concerned, in the summer, the likes of Ecclestone, Dalla Valle, Ayala, Wisdom Kacaniklic, Butchmann, Ince and Pepper should start to be integrated into the reserve squad. Stevie Irwin has already played a few games for the ressies this season, and has looked better than half the players in there.

I am more confident, now that Rafa has full control over the Academy, that things like this will happen.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Hamburg does the scouting, I think he is the Technical Director, and is basically there to oversee the whole institution. I could be wrong, but I think it's John Owens who is the Academy Manager and gets the final decision on signing players for the Academy.

INCE DEDICATES CUP WIN TO 96

Thomas Ince today dedicated Liverpool Under-18s' FA Youth Cup victory over Birmingham to the 96 who lost their lives at Hillsborough.

Ince and his teammates attended Wednesday's memorial service at Anfield, which marked the 20th anniversary of the tragedy, and the youngster believes it inspired the team to their 3-0 semi-final first leg win a day later.

"When we went to Anfield and saw the fans paying their tributes it was unbelievable. It was an inspiration for us," Ince said.

"We knew it wasn't only that we had a potential final to look forward to, but the fact that we could pay our own tribute to the 96 that died.

"It was pleasing to pay tribute to them with a 3-0 win and hopefully we have done them proud."

The forward certainly played his part on the night and enjoyed his role behind two-goal Lauri Dalla Valle.

"Over the last few games I have been playing in that position as it allows me to get in the gap between midfield and the back four, which allows me to do what I do best," he said.

"I am enjoying the role and I feel I am more involved in the game."

Hugh McAuley's men were leading 3-0 at the interval, but failed to add to their goal tally in the second half.

"Going in a few goals up helped us calm the nerves, but in the second half we got a little bit sloppy," added Ince.

"I think there were a few tired legs, but we can work on that in training and hopefully put the first-half performance on for a full 90 minutes."

isnt he responsible for bringing in the likes of Butchman and Dalle Valle? he's doing a better job than the clubs "senior scout" who has been pretty useless in terms of finding wingers etc and the debacle over Keane and Dossena

Elias is in charge of the recruitment for the academy.

I don't think Hamburg does the scouting, I think he is the Technical Director, and is basically there to oversee the whole institution. I could be wrong, but I think it's John Owens who is the Academy Manager and gets the final decision on signing players for the Academy.

I think Owens is basically chief administrator at the Academy now, AFAIK he has little to do with the coaching, which is Hamburg's area.

From what Dave has said before Hamburg just kind of floats around the place and only turns up to coach kids every so often.

Who knows what'll happen in the summer, maybe he is doing a good job. He has had fuck all to do with the success of the u18s team this season though.

That's a poor way of doing things IMO.

I am more confident, now that Rafa has full control over the Academy, that things like this will happen.

I'm not sure it's poor, it seems like a good starting point. Like you say as long as they are flexible in dealing with the exceptions a la Owen and Insua it should all be good.

Hamberg and Benitez both have actual experience with getting players into first teams from the youth system, so now the politics is done with hopefully we'll see more Insua's.

I reckon there's about 5 members of this youth team (and maybe more) capable of becoming first team regulars. That's a situation we haven't genuinely had for a while.

I've only started watching the youth/reserve teams this season. I was just wondering how people rate the individuals in this youth team compared to those in the youth teams that won the cup a few years back. For example is Amoo as good as Hammill was, LDV as good as Lindfield, Pepper as good as Spearing, etc.

In other words have any of these boys got any more chance of makng it than the squad 2/3 years ago?

Personally i would say previous youth cup teams were excellent teams rather than individuals.

Id expect more individuals from this team to break through at a higher level than previous ones.

Would say in Wisdom and Dalla Valle we have a couple of potential stars and then the rest also have good chances of making it to.

Personally i would say previous youth cup teams were excellent teams rather than individuals.

Id expect more individuals from this team to break through at a higher level than previous ones.

Would say in Wisdom and Dalla Valle we have a couple of potential stars and then the rest also have good chances of making it to.

That definitley seems to be the case with the previous teams, there was a few players who excelled like Spearing and Darby but that team had a great bond and they put in excellent effort but most of that team have moved on.

The lads we have now seem more individually more talented and there is high hopes for a good few of them, lets hope they can push on and make the grade.

That definitley seems to be the case with the previous teams, there was a few players who excelled like Spearing and Darby but that team had a great bond and they put in excellent effort but most of that team have moved on.

The lads we have now seem more individually more talented and there is high hopes for a good few of them, lets hope they can push on and make the grade.

Technically and tactically this team is light years ahead of the one lindfield played in.

I've only started watching the youth/reserve teams this season. I was just wondering how people rate the individuals in this youth team compared to those in the youth teams that won the cup a few years back. For example is Amoo as good as Hammill was, LDV as good as Lindfield, Pepper as good as Spearing, etc.

In other words have any of these boys got any more chance of makng it than the squad 2/3 years ago?

Hammill probably has more natural talent than Amoo, but Amoo is more effective. He still has big gaps in his game, but his good attributes are so good they more than compensate for his weaknesses.

LDV is light years ahead of Lindfield

Pepper and Spearing are very different players, I think Barnett is a better comparison. He's better than Barnett, smaller physically but he gets around the pitch more and is more of a goal threat.

As others have said I think we have more individual talent in this side. Don't forget the majority of this side are 1st years or younger. I think they struggle with consistency sometimes which is why we haven't done better in the league.

Cheers for your thoughts and hope you're right! I'm hopeful LDV, Bucthmann, Wisdom and Amoo have all got a chance and I expect them to be more involved in the reserves next season. If we could just get one youngster through each year that would be a great achievement. Insua could be the first of many!

I reckon there's about 5 members of this youth team (and maybe more) capable of becoming first team regulars. That's a situation we haven't genuinely had for a while.

From the little bits I've seen recently, I'd say Dalla Valle, Ince, Pepper, Wisdom, Amoo, Ecclestone and Irwin all easily have the intelligence and technical ability to play professional football at a high level. Whether they make it or not depends on all sorts of other factors from now onwards, but even in cameo they've all shown genuine class, in my opinion.

From the little bits I've seen recently, I'd say Dalla Valle, Ince, Pepper, Wisdom, Amoo, Ecclestone and Irwin all easily have the intelligence and technical ability to play professional football at a high level. Whether they make it or not depends on all sorts of other factors from now onwards, but even in cameo they've all shown genuine class, in my opinion.

I'd add Kacaniklic to that list as well. He's got good pace, loves to take players on and has decent delivery from wide areas.

I also think that Buchtmann could have a decent future too.

I thought Macia brought in the foreign lads and Elias brought in the english lads i.e. Amoo, Wisdom etc.

Malcolm Elias was also responsible for bringing Dalla Valle to Liverpool. He employed Tor Sparv as a scout in Finland and he had much contact with the Dalla Valle family to make sure he signed for Liverpool.

They have known each other since Elias signed Tim Sparv to Southamptons Academy a few years earlier.

Technically and tactically this team is light years ahead of the one lindfield played in.

How do you get to see to youth team games from America? Are there streams for even those games now?

Never noticed anything more than highlights on LFC.TV

This post isn't intended as a slight - just curious really.