You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never really been a fan of Megadeth or Dave Mustaine, but I've been giving Th1rt3en a fair old airing over the last week or so, and I'm kind of enjoying the album.

However, what I do really like though, is the following video that I stumbled upon just the other day: (If you don't like the tune, I reckon you'll at least enjoy the video).

fLN1OB3_wG8

I've never really been a fan of Megadeth or Dave Mustaine, but I've been giving Th1rt3en a fair old airing over the last week or so, and I'm kind of enjoying the album.

You didn't like 'Rust in Peace' or 'Countdown to Extinction'?

Probably the two best metal albums of all time, all things considered.

Moofy there's being subjective, aren't we all when it comes to music, and there's being mentally unstable!

Really, Megadeath, best of all time, really, Moofy we need a talk!

Poorly worded on my part. When I say I'm not a fan, I don't mean I dislike any of their stuff, just that for some reason I never got into them like I have done with other bands.

I did however always find Mustaine to be a bit too whiney for my liking, but he's mellowed a fair bit over the years and is nowhere near as bad as he once was.

Seen them at Download 3 times, but they've just never 'done it' for me.

I may go and give their back catalogue a better listen... See if anything changes.

Moofy there's being subjective, aren't we all when it comes to music, and there's being mentally unstable!

Really, Megadeath, best of all time, really, Moofy we need a talk!

Find me a better metal album than Countdown to Extinction.

You can't. Because there isn't one.

Riffs, solos, the tightest rhythm section in metal along with the best rhythm guitar player. Every song has standout quality. And Rust in Peace is even better.

Seriously, find a better metal album than either of those.

Edit: actually I've seen your taste in music, so.....never mind.

(burn)

Great albums, defo, but my fave Megadeth album is probs United Abomintions. Some incredible, full on, guitar driven songs on that record. Really in your face.

Mustaine and Chris Broderick are as good a guitar pairing as any.

Agree with the poster who said Mustaine's vocals are too whiney though, always the weak spot of a great great band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Find me a better metal album than Countdown to Extinction.

You can't. Because there isn't one.

Riffs, solos, the tightest rhythm section in metal along with the best rhythm guitar player. Every song has standout quality. And Rust in Peace is even better.

Seriously, find a better metal album than either of those.

Edit: actually I've seen your taste in music, so.....never mind.

(burn)

Slayer "Reign in Blood" or "South of Heaven"

Metallica "Master of Puppets"

There's 3 better metal albums just to begin with.

Slayer "Reign in Blood" or "South of Heaven"

Metallica "Master of Puppets"

There's 3 better metal albums just to begin with.

Wrong on all counts I'm afraid. Look at the musicianship, songwriting, riffs, rhythm section, lyrics. None of it compares to those two Megadeth albums.

Wrong on all counts I'm afraid. Look at the musicianship, songwriting, riffs, rhythm section, lyrics. None of it compares to those two Megadeth albums.

Don't get me wrong, I love Megadeth, first saw them in 1990, but Countdown isn't even their best album, Rust in Peace is far superior. Countdown merely went for a more radio friendly approach with shorter, less complex songs, which although it was the most commercially successful album, didn't really appeal to many of their hardcore fans, yet brought them more new fans due to getting more airplay. Mustaine saw the success of Metallica's Black album and clearly adapted his approach, as we all know his history and jealousy of everything Metallica.

Plus its all merely subjective, Slayer's Reign in Blood is seen by many as the epitome of a thrash metal album, and I don't think that we will see that topped ever again. I saw them perform it all live in London this year, and it blew me away.

Its great discussing music for a change, and not footy, I've somehow missed this thread!!!

Carcass, "Necroticism..."

Death, "Leprosy"

and pretty much anything by Suicidal Tendencies, (esp "The Art Of Rebellion")

All killer metal / rock records.

I also reckon "Worship Music", the last Anthrax album is seriously fucking good.

Carcass - what a band. I saw them a few years back headlining the Damnation Festival, but saw them a few times in their original days. I preferred "Heartwork" myself.

Suicidal are a stunningly brilliant band, shame they don't play this country much any more, and I saw Anthrax last week supporting Motorhead, and they are still superb live.

I played this CD on the way to work this morning, and I enjoyed it, but there are too may weak songs on it to consider it their best album, just my opinion by the way. It was Megadeth's best line up, with Nick Menza on drums and Marty Friedman on guitar, but they didn't build on the success of "Rust in Peace".