You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You may be right, but that's a controversial opinion.*

*One I pretty much agree with. RiP is superb - the epitome of 80s thrash.

Yep, it's wonderful. To me Megadeth always had more strings to their bow. Mustaine was a complete loose cannon, they were more interesting in a musical sense, faster, harder, better riffs, better rhythm section, Marty Friedman. I know most people preferred Metallica but they just never quite hit the spot, for me.

Yep, it's wonderful. To me Megadeth always had more strings to their bow. Mustaine was a complete loose cannon, they were more interesting in a musical sense, faster, harder, better riffs, better rhythm section, Marty Friedman. I know most people preferred Metallica but they just never quite hit the spot, for me.

An amazing guitarist.

Agree with your analysis there Moof; Megadeth's output album-wise was easily the match of Metallica.

Having seen both live though, I have to say Hetfield and Co were far better than Mustaine's sorry effort - he looks like he can't be arsed anymore.

I think if Megadeth had kept both Marty Friedman and Nick Menza, then they could have been even bigger than they were. Rust in Pace was as awesome album, I remember buying the vinyl from Woolworths and just being blown away when I played it, but Metallica released the Black album around the same time, and went global, taming down their sound in my opinion, and it appealed to the masses, leaving Megadeth to pick up the pieces.

Always preferred Megadeth to Metallica, better riffs, better solo's, better drumming, better songs, better musicians imo.

Unfortunately Mustaine is a terrible, whiny singer. Hetfield's singing is infinitely better.

If they'd kept a consistent four members, from the Rust in Peace era, then I'd agree with this, but the changing of band members let them down.

If they'd kept a consistent four members, from the Rust in Peace era, then I'd agree with this, but the changing of band members let them down.

I'm not so sure you know.

Chris Broderick is a phenomenal guitarist, every bit as good as Marty Freidman, who is incredible in his own right. Both, far better than Kirk Hammet.

And apparently Nick Menza was so fucked up by smack that he just can't physically play like he used to circa RIP.

I must agree though, that the RIP line up is still the line up.

Incidentally, have you heard any of Marty Freidman's solo stuff ? Especially his reworkings of old Megadeth songs like Tornado of Souls, Elysian Fields, Killing Road, Breadline etc ? Very interesting indeed.

Chris Broderick is a phenomenal guitarist, every bit as good as Marty Freidman, who is incredible in his own right. Both, far better than Kirk Hammet.

And apparently Nick Menza was so fucked up by smack that he just can't physically play like he used to circa RIP.

Incidentally, have you heard any of Marty Freidman's solo stuff ? Especially his reworkings of old Megadeth songs like Tornado of Souls, Elysian Fields, Killing Road, Breadline etc ? Very interesting indeed.

I've been impressed with Broderick both times I've seen him live, but always felt that Freidman had the edge over him. I'll have to check out his solo stuff and see what I think. I didn't realise Menza was a smackhead, what a waste of a talent.

Oh, you did NOT just go there?!

Just been listening to Airbourne's new offering, very good indeed.

What's everyone's opinion of Fugazi? I was listening to "Repeater" in the car this morning, and it really is one of the best albums of all time. I saw them back in 2000 at Manchester and they were just incredible.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit pissed off that Kerrang Radio is being removed from Birmingham and transferred completely to digital with the loss of Johnny Doom in the process. I listen to it on digital anyway but with Doom going, the word is Kerrang's evening listings will be geared the same way as its daytime listings. All Don fucking Broco and and Biffy bastarding Clyro.

Does anyone listen to Planet Rock radio? Is it available on digital and is it any good? With any luck they'll manage to tempt Jonny Doom into moving to London and giving him a show.

What's everyone's opinion of Fugazi? I was listening to "Repeater" in the car this morning, and it really is one of the best albums of all time. I saw them back in 2000 at Manchester and they were just incredible.

Amazing band. The whole of 13 Songs is on youtube.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP!

Always been a fan of Alice In Chains, in fact I would go as far as saying they are a big influence on how I write riffs and tune ideas. And I have been having many a debate about the current version of them and everyone keeps saying that they are not as good without Layne Staley.

I disagree. I think that with Staley the harmonies were a lot more raw as they had feeling which made the subject matter feel like you were going on the journey to death yourself.

With ths new fella I reckon he has made them a better band musically. I love how his different style to Staley still works with Cantrell's own voice. I loved Black Gives Way To Blue and I think the latest one, The Devil Put Dinosairs Here, is a step up. The same old sound but a lot more solid. A lot more grown up.

I enjoyed King Animal as a comeback album from The Garden but this beats it for the title of Best Heavy Grunge Comeback Award.

[YOUTUBE]9KmYFY5oOvM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hmSeWqmlqYs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]s8JANTa0NLQ[/YOUTUBE]