You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Espanyol winger Albert Riera admits it would be 'madness' to turn down the opportunity to play for Liverpool.

The Spain international has made no secret of his desire to leave Espanyol and Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to bolster the left-side of his midfield.

Liverpool have already had one offer for Riera rejected as Primera Liga outfit Espanyol hold out for a fee believed to be in the region of £12million.

But Riera - who spent a period on loan at Manchester City in 2006 - remains keen on a permanent return to England.

"I know English football and it is an attractive option for players," Riera told Sport.

Realistic

"If Espanyol do finally receive an offer I do not want to miss the opportunity to go to Liverpool. The option to join a super-club doesn't come every day.

"I am a realistic person but this has given me something to look forward to.

"To reject the possibility of a move would be madness."

Meanwhile, Espanyol's sporting director Paco Herrera insists the club will not rush into a decision on the future of one of their star assets.

"It is necessary to study the options and after that we'll make a decision," Herrera added.

Distinctly average?

Does anyone got the stats to blow away the myth? I don't get involved with peeple who dispute what I say as that kind of thing is behind and beneath me. He is perfectly suited to the Prem and has already proved it.

Didn't make the Spain squad is a bit like saying Fowler and Carra was shite in 20 of your human years time.

Distinctly average?

Does anyone got the stats to blow away the myth? I don't get involved with peeple who dispute what I say as that kind of thing is behind and beneath me. He is perfectly suited to the Prem and has already proved it.

Didn't make the Spain squad is a bit like saying Fowler and Carra was shite in 20 of your human years time.

I don't have any stats, but I remember watching him a few times in the Premiership and he was tidy and a few nice touches, and that's about it. Basically, no improvement on what we've got imo. Fowler and Carragher always made the England squad when fit, Capello was even asking for Carra back recently. International football isn't the be all and end all of course, but if he's been that amazing in Spain recently, it's a suprise he didn't get in the squad.

look at Kanute(spelling) and Forlan if you where Spanish you would be saying not good enough on what they had done in England and yet both have been amongst the best players in Spain its not what they do with other clubs it is what they do in a Red Shirt that counts everyone should be given a chance to prove there worth

I have opinions about players we have signed but i will still be behind them and hope im wrong in the case of Degan to name one but if he isnt good enough its not his fault so he will get no stick of me

If Rafa signs the lad then i hope he does well at least he is saying the right things and not trying to get another club in to bid for him by using us