You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hleb is a class player. Barry is also a very good player. They're totally different though so what is the point in comparing them?

This forum is becoming shabbier and shabbier by the day, IMO.

Why bicker about pointless things? Fair enough, discuss Barry in comparison to Alonso but Hleb?

Indeed. Hleb is a real footballer, and Barry is a good player. I'd welcome both. Any comparison between Alonso and Hleb is pointless. You might as well compare Kuyt with Bentley.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this feed://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml, Barry got 8 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League last season.

Xabi - if I recall correctly - didn't score and only made a couple of assists.

How's that for improvement?

It's silly the fact that Rafa is always accused of not going all out for the league and then when he tries to make a swap that is actually sacrificing CL chances for PL chances people don't see the point.

And for the record I will be gutted to see Xabi leave - I just think it makes sense in the bigger picture.

Xabi scored 2 goals last season. Both in the home match against Derby. One cross that went straight in from a free kick, and 1 shot from the egde of the box.

But as a player who do posess the passing ability that he does, he doesnt produce enough. And as a holdin player I think he is too easily over run, and that is why he is one of the player to pick up the most yellow cards.

Which one out of Barry/Alonso who`s the better player is clearly debatable. But Barry is clearly better suited to the English game.

Gareth Barry tempted by Liverpool move | Premier League - Times Online

Gareth Barry has given the strongest indication yet that he wants to leave Aston Villa for Liverpool by emphasising his desire to play in the Champions League.

The England midfield player described the choice he is facing over the coming weeks as the most difficult of his career, but it is one that is likely to end with him leaving Villa Park after 11 years at the club.

Liverpool have made a £10million bid, but it may take some time to get the deal done as Villa's valuation is £15million and they have already rejected the offer of makeweights such as Scott Carson and Jermaine Pennant, though Peter Crouch would represent a more attractive proposition.

Barry, 27, who signed a new three-year contract last August, is unlikely to force the issue by making an official transfer request, but having told Villa in private that he wanted to leave last month, he is approaching the point of doing so publicly.

“Just to think about it makes it a tough decision,” Barry said yesterday. “There's so much to lose at Aston Villa. I've been there more than ten years, got a good rapport with the fans, I'm captain there and have a great relationship with the manager.

“But Champions League football helps any player. You only have to look at the England squad to see the amount of players who get in the squad and start the games - the majority play in the Champions League. That's all about the decision that will have to be made. Liverpool are in the Champions League and Villa are trying to push for that. That's all part of my decision if a bid gets accepted.”

Barry is hoping that the situation will be resolved as soon as possible and wants to hold talks with Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager, this week, but the Irishman will be concerned that his player's head has been turned by the words of Steven Gerrard. The Liverpool captain said last week that he was desperate for the club to sign Barry and, to judge from their promising partnership in England's 3-0 win over Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain on Sunday, it would be a good move for all concerned - with the exception of Villa.

“It was a bit of a surprise to see Steven go so public,” Barry said. “It's obviously very flattering the team has made a bid for me, but until the bid gets accepted I can't even think about it.

“I would like things cleared up, the sooner the better. It would be easier for myself and for the fans as well, so I'm sure we can get it done pretty soon. I've got nothing planned with Martin O'Neill, but I'm sure the manager will want to speak to me and I'll eventually want to speak to the manager. That will come soon enough.”

Barry's stock has never been higher and after a stop-start international career he has been one of the big winners under Fabio Capello, with the Italian valuing his hard work and intelligence. After David Beckham's withdrawal at half-time, Barry wore the captain's armband in the second half on Sunday after scoring his first goal for his country to put England on course for victory, but he conceded that he is unlikely to keep it on a permanent basis.

“If you were to lead the team out from the beginning, I could have looked at it a different way, but it was still a great feeling just to do it for the second half,” he said. “It will give me a lot of confidence going into next season and was a perfect way to finish the season. Ten days together was important to get to know the manager and for the manager to get to know the players. Ten days is a long time in football and being together for that amount of time, we've learnt a lot.”

Daily Mail are saying Juve will seal a £13.5m move for Xabi.

If this is true, it's a fucking joke of a fee.

If Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea were selling him they would easily get at least £15m possibly more.

That useless cunt Parry strikes again.

Parry why? If Parry refused to sell Alonso, who wants to stay due to not getting £17m, Rafa would go beserk. Rafa wants him out and Barry in.

Exactly what I thought. It is a nothing article.

I think, given the source, that it's a something article. It's telling us that Alonso is reluctantly close to departure and that Barry will replace him. Not that we didn't suspect this already, but it's confirmation of sorts...

If its in the echo, it can't be dismissed as a nothing article. From a less reliable source, maybe so.

It will likely happen.

I'm sure it WILL happen but its just that the article heading suggested it HAS happened but the article suggested it MAY happen.

But, as you say, I prefer reading these stuff in the Echo rather than in Daily Mirror.