You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So I guess it´s all happening. I´m sad to see him leave but it´s a fact he hasn´t progressed too much the last couple of seasons and I trust Rafa knows what he´s doing. In fact I know he knows what he´s doing.

But what about the Barry vs. Alonso debate. Alonso has a big name on him, but is Barry much worse? I haven´t seen too much of him but I have noticed a two things he certainly does better than Xabi:

- Great delivery into the box from set pieces. Alonso was pretty much useless on this.

- He´s a quicker and more mobile player.

You go.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who can't see that Barry will improve us, doesn't understand football. I'm gutted my favourite player is leaving.

Does anybody agree that if you've said your piece 50,067 times then sometimes it's just best to say nothing?

Pros - Quicker more mobile player, great set piece delivery, versatile, can score goals, proven in the premiership, plays well with gerrard.

??? - Plays the simple pass, may be a good thing, may not.

Cons - Older, overpriced, passing not a shade on xabis, hasnt scored from inside his own area once let alone twice, maybe a big fish in a small pond.

If the price is right then we should sign Barry. but the figures being quoted £15m for Barry and £16m for Alonso then thats far too much to pay for Barry IMO. £10m would be a good deal.

Pros - Quicker more mobile player, great set piece delivery, versatile, can score goals, proven in the premiership, plays well with gerrard.

Cons - Older, overpriced, passing not a shade on xabis, hasnt scored from inside his own area once let alone twice, maybe a big fish in a small pond.

If the price is right then we should sign Barry. but the figures being quoted £15m for Barry and £16m for Alonso then thats far too much to pay for Barry IMO. £10m would be a good deal.

Barry is about as quick as Xabi in all honesty, if he is quicker it is not by much. Whenever I have seen him he has been painfully slow.

He doesn't score many goals when you take away his penalties.

They are two players who probably have the same value and are very similiar - I find it hard to seperate them with my choice of keeping Xabi based on the fact that he is already here and we know he can handle it here.

There is only about 6 months difference. I don't think that comes into it really.

I think it's pointless comparing the two players. It's about who suits the league better and persoanlly I feel that Barry will compliment our team better in the quest for the Premiership then Xabi does. Xabis been great and I'm gutted to see him leave, but I know I'm gutted in my heart. In my head I know that Xabi is not the player that will bring us the title. It may very well affect us in the European Cup and if Xabi goes to a European league that is slower the the PL (they all are) he will be brilliant, but if he comes back to Anfield in a CL game I would be confident in any of our midfielders keeping him quiet in a frentic English style game.

They are quite similar but Barry is left footed, and he'll balance the side better, he's also more mobile no matter what anyone says.

Xabi's passing has been off for while. I think on the whole I'd prefer Barry +4 million.

As much as I love Alonso, it may just be the time for him to move on. It's true, his delivery from set pieces isn't the best, he isn't the fastest and his passing and consistency over the last few years hasn't been the best (especially in the PL).

I think Barry will offer what Xabi has been lacking recently. The only thing is, is he a better passer of a ball and can his dictate the pace of a game like we know Xabi can (or could).

If Xabi leaves, Barry arrives and we end up with a fair bit of cash left over (£4-5m) then that's a good deal in my eyes.

If we lose Xabi i fear we will become too much of an "in yer face" kind of team. We'd havr given up an artist for another worker and the affect it will have on our football could be devasting.

Oh for fucks sake petal. Just go home and dry hump your Xabi poster for a few hours and get over it.

Will replacing Alsonso with Barry make considerable and marked improvement to our first XI?

No it won't.

So it's a completely fucking pointless signing.

For the Premiership I think it will. Xabi can be beaten out of a game. barry is stronger and harder and can play when things get nasty. I've only seen Xabi do that on a handful of occasions.