You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Avengement - Extremely violent & silly cockney/mockney, sawn off shooter, nutters from Parkhurst (thanks @Harry Squatter) revenge caper with Craig Fairbrass, the lad out of This is England (who looks like Pickford) and some British martial arts fella who gets his teeth knocked out early on and has them inexplicably replaced by the same ones as Jaws had in The Bond films. Seen it all before a hundred times but it was still reasonably enjoyable nonsense. And sometimes you just want an old fashioned 90 minute film.  

6 cor blimey guvnors out of 10 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Avengement - Extremely violent & silly cockney/mockney, sawn off shooter, nutters from Parkhurst (thanks @Harry Squatter) revenge caper with Craig Fairbrass, the lad out of This is England (who looks like Pickford) and some British martial arts fella who gets his teeth knocked out early on and has them inexplicably replaced by the same ones as Jaws had in The Bond films. Seen it all before a hundred times but it was still reasonably enjoyable nonsense. And sometimes you just want an old fashioned 90 minute film.  

6 cor blimey guvnors out of 10 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bq5b46jq4lzkiy9muhz

Oxygen. Recent film from Alexandre Aja very much in the vein of that Buried film with Ryan Reynolds.

A woman (Melaine Laurent) wakes up in a cryogenic chamber with no recollection of who or where she is or how she got there with the added frustration that the oxygen level of the chamber is reducing.

Decent enough, wasn't overly convinced on the ending but an overall 7/10.

Safety Not Guaranteed

A quirky film about 10 years old starring Aubrey Plaza as a journalist who goes in search of a mentalist/time traveller bloke to write a story about him. A nice easy way to spend 90 minutes. 6.5/10 (Amazon Prime).

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Safety Not Guaranteed

A quirky film about 10 years old starring Aubrey Plaza as a journalist who goes in search of a mentalist/time traveller bloke to write a story about him. A nice easy way to spend 90 minutes. 6.5/10 (Amazon Prime).

I'd rate that 8.5/10 rather than only 6.5

On 02/09/2023 at 18:15, redheart said:

I took my 8 year old to see Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

The movie is a 9.5/10

Gene Wilder is an 11/10. It was Gene's world and he just let the rest of us live in it

AoT originally posted this brilliant Gene Wilder story.

Twitter user Joe Scaramanga writes, “Lovely Gene Wilder story in the Grauniad comments…”

I met him sometime in the early 1990s – I can’t pinpoint the year – when he came with a friend to visit the Turner Study Room at the Tate Gallery, which I was in charge of at the time.

He was strikingly shy, but as polite as could be, and tremendously appreciative of the experience that the Study Room offered.

It was only later in the day that I found out a bit more about his visit.

Before coming to the Study Room, he had taken time to have a conversation with a sweet- natured and approachable Irish attendant called Catherine, who told me what happened.

She had asked for, and received, his autograph – “Oh, to Catherine, please – thank you”.

On leaving the Study Room, he and his friend explored new areas of the Gallery – and, since the attendants rotate their positions, he unexpectedly saw Catherine again up ahead.

Whereupon, shyness banished and now in performance mode to the astonishment of visitors nearby, he yelled “Catherine!! How are you?? You don’t write, you don’t phone…!”

She was thrilled – wouldn’t you be?
  • Upvote 3

On 05/09/2023 at 01:57, DalyanPete said:

He did well for himself.

I suppose everybody already knows this, but when Tony Curtis puts on that weird accent when he pretends to be the millionaire to attract Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot, he's doing his Cary Grant impersonation (hence the in joke of Jack Lemmon saying, "I mean, who on earth talks like that!").

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Equaliser 3 - 7/10

Denzel being badass is never dull

Funny you should say that, I watched Training Day last night and he just wound me up trying to play a streetwise Narc.

Somebody should have shot him in the first ten minutes and it might have been a decent watch.

• Upvote 2