You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Sling Blade - 9/10

Can't believe I've only just watched this and I only found it by chance. It's a truly outstanding movie and is already one of my favourites of all time. Billy Bob Thornton directed and played the lead, though weirdly he looks fuck all like himself in it!

Absolute cracker, I reckon Mmmmm Hmm ...

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Elite said:

Sling Blade - 9/10

Can't believe I've only just watched this and I only found it by chance. It's a truly outstanding movie and is already one of my favourites of all time. Billy Bob Thornton directed and played the lead, though weirdly he looks fuck all like himself in it!

Absolute cracker, I reckon Mmmmm Hmm ...

Thanks for that. Enjoyed it.

Was thinking BBT should have been nominated for an Oscar for that performance then the credits rolled and he also wrote and directed it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Thanks for that. Enjoyed it.

Was thinking BBT should have been nominated for an Oscar for that performance then the credits rolled and he also wrote and directed it. 

Yeah he should definitely have won some awards for it.

Dungeons & Dragons

Got myself roped in to take the grandson to see this, despite my absolute hatred for cinema going audiences. 

Actually turned out quite well as we had the entire screening to ourselves. Gotta admit, the showcase on the lancs has come on a bit. Electric reclining seats with unreal legroom was quite the thing. However, £32 for 2 med popcorn combos & 2 bags of sweets certainly wasn't.

Anyway, I digress. Jack Grealish sporting a lovely leather leads a merry band of bad actors on a quest to find his equally terrible actor daughter from the clutches of the consistently same in every movie Hugh Grant.

Don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy this, despite repeatedly having to tell my grandson that I was only messing and he didn’t have to sit in every chair in the place or he wouldn’t get a Nando’s after it. Thankfully the ushers came into have a nose just as he was about to give it a try and he shit himself and stayed out for the final third. 

Anyway. 7.5/10 from me 

a billion and best film he’s ever seen from him

defo recommended 

Nando’s is shit. Not recommended 

• Upvote 1

On 28/04/2023 at 21:42, Poor Scouser T said:

On a bit of a Scifi trip just now. Clara on Prime is a belter too.

Watched that last night, decent film, I do like small films like this, sci-fi based but not all spaceships and aliens.

Reminds me of a film called Another Earth which I watched a few years back and remember enjoying, might give that a rewatch.

On 01/05/2023 at 13:02, Elite said:

Yeah he should definitely have won some awards for it.

Just watched Sling Blade, based entirely upon your recommendation.

BBR was indeed fantastic, even though I knew he played the lead role, it was still remarkable just how different he looked and sounded.

Strong supporting cast too, well acted.

The narrative though, I found predictable and at 2 hours and 15 minutes it was probably at least 30 minutes too long. Really disliked the inappropriate and occasionally jarring incidental music too.

All that I really enjoyed Sling Blade.

15 severed heads out of 20 NERD

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just watched Sling Blade, based entirely upon your recommendation.

BBR was indeed fantastic, even though I knew he played the lead role, it was still remarkable just how different he looked and sounded.

Strong supporting cast too, well acted.

The narrative though, I found predictable and at 2 hours and 15 minutes it was probably at least 30 minutes too long. Really disliked the inappropriate and occasionally jarring incidental music too.

All that I really enjoyed Sling Blade.

15 severed heads out of 20 NERD

The bloke in the mental institution was great as well in his two cameos.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I love the fact all 10 of his kids are called George, even the girls.

There was a bit in the film about that.

Something along the lines of "We all have same name so when one falls we all do and when we have success we all have it."

I couldn’t sleep last night and ended starting Red Sparrow at like 3am this morning. 

I’d completely forgot this was the film

where Lawrence got her kit off. She’s spectacular. 

The rest of the film is less spectacular, I kept watching for any more potential nudity. 

10 for JLaw.

5 for the movie.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I couldn’t sleep last night and ended starting Red Sparrow at like 3am this morning. 

I’d completely forgot this was the film

where Lawrence got her kit off. She’s spectacular. 

The rest of the film is less spectacular, I kept watching for any more potential nudity. 

10 for JLaw.

5 for the movie.

Jude Law produced a 10/10 performance? Hard to believe.

• Upvote 1

Decision to Leave

Insomniac detective gets obsessed with a woman whose husband has died in a mountain climbing accident. But was it an accident?

Understated, in a good way, (and especially for a Korean film) just maybe a bit long. Some might find it a bit slow but I really liked it.

8/10

Idiocracy.

2 people sign up for a military experiment of being frozen for 1 year but end up being  frozen for 500 years where the human race has gradually got dumber and dumber. 

Decent premise, not close to being fully realised. 

4/10.

On 28/04/2023 at 21:42, Poor Scouser T said:

On a bit of a Scifi trip just now. Clara on Prime is a belter too.

Quite enjoyed this, though a bit slow and the main fella was a bit dour, considering he found himself shacked up with Troian Bellesario. 

6/10 for me. 

Invitation To A Murder

Cut squarely from the same cloth as the Knives Out films.

I enjoy murder mysteries and films of this nature but the cast got right on my tits, especially the lead actress who, by the end, I really wanted to boot right in the fanny. Fucking wobbly plumby voiced shit acting cow.

2/10

Blue Collar (1978) 

9/10 

Have only just discovered this film after a mate recommended it. 

A glimpse of an almost forgotten America set in Motor City, Detroit, just before the Reagan years. 

3 friends work the line at an car factory and face working and family life with gritty determination, with outlooks shaped by their backgrounds. 

Some great back and forth dialogue and mad late 70s threads and shirt collars.