You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I much prefer Robin Williams in those serious roles, he just annoys the fuck out of me when he's attempting to be funny. Last time I watched Good Morning Vietnam, I nearly put the telly out the window.

Awakenings, Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting were the best things he did IMO.

Same could be said of Jim Carrey, eternal sunshine, Truman Show and Man on the Moon is some of his best work and while it's not always a complete departure (Like Williams in Insomnia for example) they are completely different to the likes of ace ventura and liar liar that are pure unrestrained Carrey.

33 minutes ago, Mook said:

I much prefer Robin Williams in those serious roles, he just annoys the fuck out of me when he's attempting to be funny. Last time I watched Good Morning Vietnam, I nearly put the telly out the window.

Awakenings, Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting were the best things he did IMO.

That's a superb film. Fuck me 

On 15/05/2023 at 20:00, Scott_M said:

Air 8/10.

Story of Nike signing Michael Jordan. Leans a bit too much into its 80sness, it zips along and is most entertaining.

I'm definitely going to watch it, but it amuses me no end that when Hollywood finally gets round to making a Michael Jordan movie, they make it about the white guys who hired him to sell shoes.

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That's a superb film. Fuck me 

I watched it once when I was a kid and loved, saw it again about ten years ago and his (Robin Williams) performance in it brought out an almost violent reaction in me. It was like he spent the entire film desperately trying to be funny and failing in the most horrific way.

Put me right off him tbh.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

The Fisher King is another great role.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I watched it once when I was a kid and loved, saw it again about ten years ago and his (Robin Williams) performance in it brought out an almost violent reaction in me. It was like he spent the entire film desperately trying to be funny and failing in the most horrific way.

Put me right off him tbh.

The whole point of the film is that he’s a DJ trying to bring humour into a tragic environment. It’s a superb movie. 

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Same could be said of Jim Carrey, eternal sunshine, Truman Show and Man on the Moon is some of his best work and while it's not always a complete departure (Like Williams in Insomnia for example) they are completely different to the likes of ace ventura and liar liar that are pure unrestrained Carrey.

The World According to Garp is a fine Williams film

I watched Backdraft last night. That's a fucking ridiculous film, what with the screaming and growling noises the fire makes and Donald Sutherland's toe curling attempt at a career arsonist.

Then the 'all American' ending with the music Trey Parker would have balked at & Kurt Russell shouting 'showtime' as he runs at full pelt into a burning building.

Nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

I watched Backdraft last night. That's a fucking ridiculous film, what with the screaming and growling noises the fire makes and Donald Sutherland's toe curling attempt at a career arsonist.

Then the 'all American' ending with the music Trey Parker would have balked at & Kurt Russell shouting 'showtime' as he runs at full pelt into a burning building.

Nonsense.

Ladder 49 with Joaquin Phoenix is decent. 

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Nonsense.

You’ve been watching some right old shit lately, Mook.

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

You’ve been watching some right old shit lately, Mook.

I've got a Firestick with no subscriptions on it so going through all the free films, which are invariably shite.

The DVDs are going to start coming out the cupboard again. Time to rewatch some classics.

• Upvote 1