You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When was the last time you went to the gym?

Going to the gym isn't a personality. Most people go for pragmatic reasons, training or exercise. If you make social ties there, great. If you enjoy it, great. But wanting to impose a sense of exclusivity on it is pretentious as fuck, imo.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Going to the gym isn't a personality. Most people go for pragmatic reasons, training or exercise. If you make social ties there, great. If you enjoy it, great. But wanting to impose a sense of exclusivity on it is pretentious as fuck, imo.

I think most gyms,the chains at least,are very welcoming now. Lots of Ladies using it regularly and I think that's a good sign. I enjoy it from both a mental and a physical standpoint. I am never going to get 'muscley' but keeping some of the fat off and my energy levels up is priceless. Trying to keep up with teenagers while reffing and two young Grandkids needs all the help it can get. I am a weirdo too as the older I've got the more I enjoy it. There's an old boy in my gym,saw him this morning and he must be in his late 70s. More power to him.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It is not exclusivity. We don't need to make a profit just enough to cover overheads and any extra kit. It is a members club if you like. It belongs to us and we are all responsible for it's upkeep. We have sparkies roofers builders plumbers accountants all sorts and all our stuff is taken care of internally. We clean it maintain it and all look after it. We don't want it packed out neither do we want a load of tossers spoiling it, so yeah we can be a bit fussy. As a result it functions well. If something needs doing it just gets done, no meetings, no memos and paid cash.

We let in visitors of members in free if they are staying nearby all on a trust basis no forms no questions. 

Last AGM we had 4 people turned up out of 200+ members. It just works.

3 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Of course it's my business. You get a new haircut in our place everyone will take the piss. If you are a member you are a part owner and getting in is like joining the Masons. Any member who has a problem with an applicant can veto. Applications are closed at the Mo. It was 8 quid a month for the last 10 years or so, just gone up to 15. 24hr swipe card access has everything but shit like 1 shower and crap bogs and heating than sometimes don't work is the only downside.

Sounds like you go to a gym full of cunts TBH. I'd far rather be somewhere where people just got on with their own shit, and not passing judgement other everyone else.

And how do you know how about people's routines anyway, how far they're driving in, for how long, where they're going after the gym? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Sounds like you go to a gym full of cunts TBH. I'd far rather be somewhere where people just got on with their own shit, and not passing judgement other everyone else.

And how do you know how about people's routines anyway, how far they're driving in, for how long, where they're going after the gym? 

I may have given that impression mate but it is the opposite. 16 - 80 yr olds men women all range of levels more laughs than the boozer. Someone needs a car fixed Tom with do it. Fence mended ask Steve etc etc

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Tom’s the mechanic. Steve brings the wood. What’s your specialty?

I do a bit of local fundraising. (Plus I fucking painted the place much to everyone's horror) Opposite is the local astro turf pitches and last year one of the kids collapsed while playing he was minutes away from buying it. I/we organised a non stop sponsored row across the Atlantic we raised about 20k got them a defib and a load of new nets and balls.

I think this years aim is 5k for the food bank.

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I do a bit of local fundraising. (Plus I fucking painted the place much to everyone's horror) Opposite is the local astro turf pitches and last year one of the kids collapsed while playing he was minutes away from buying it. I/we organised a non stop sponsored row across the Atlantic we raised about 20k got them a defib and a load of new nets and balls.

Knocking on doors, asking for money. Like a baylift?

• Haha 1

Game of 5 a-side and a bit of fishing during a non stop row across the Atlantic. Nothing will stop man achieving impossible. Nothing 

A NON STOP row across THE ATLANTIC. Fuck that, I’ll follows Si’s lead and do a 50 mile cycle on Grand Theft Auto. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Game of 5 a-side and a bit of fishing during a non stop row across the Atlantic. Nothing will stop man achieving impossible. Nothing 

A NON STOP row across THE ATLANTIC. Fuck that, I’ll follows Si’s lead and do a 50 mile cycle on Grand Theft Auto. 

Wasn't just me mate it was around 200 people doing it on 3 or 4 machines.

On 26/03/2024 at 13:32, Bjornebye said:

If a gym is used properly then of course it works for literally anyone. If they’ve decided they don’t like the gym then they shouldn’t be paying a membership and that’s on the customer not the gym. I have never in my life been aggressively asked to join a gym. I’ve been called a miserable cunt for not adopting a Zebra though. 

The gym is not a scam or fraudulent. If you were taking about certain supplements I’d agree but the gym is fine for people that use it. Nobody is forced to pay for it. 

What have you got against zebras, you miserable cunt?

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What have you got against zebras, you miserable cunt?

Geordie horses have got a record for getting sparked out. If Jarv’s out of jail i’m not risking the vet bills. 

• Upvote 1