You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 4th Feb 2024 (4:30pm)

Trumo

The domino effect of playing Trent at right back can't be overlooked. Fuck me does he get beat too easily. It's comically bad now, players just walk past him.

It's not lazy and he can't be arsed, like some have said on here, he's just really bad at defending and body position. It opens the game up for any team we play against and drags our players all over the place. 

Just fucking play him in midfield, and make him fight for his place there, if he's not good enough there then that's life, it's tough at the top. Bradley has been great but the biggest thing he gives our team is balance and allows the other players to focus on their own job. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

To Arsenal’s credit, Martinelli harried Virgil and Alisson into that mistake.

Nunez pissed me off with that abysmal effort and then accepting Gabriel’s roaring in his face over it. Felt a bit like Arthur shaking Guardiola’s hand last season. 

Maybe he thought it best to ignore him. We know what can happen… Keep calm and stay in the race though. Fuck the small-time knobheads.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Very true. Because he had few options. He now has more. 

Jurgen likes the idea of an alternating 4-3-3/3-4-3 with Trent moving up (as we know) but that doesn’t actually make us any sounder defensively, as has been discussed many times over the last couple of seasons or so. Konate has been doing a sterling job of sweeping in a back 3 when TAA moves forward, but the vulnerability is always an issue as teams have learned to counter us quickly on their left. I’m not writing Trent off as a midfielder, but I don’t like the role he has at RB.

Yea, for me it should be a MF stepping in to cover trents overlap. Konate moving over leaves us 1 down, but thats often how we find ourselves. Outnumbered on the left with a quick counter.

8 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

You were saying similar before the game. It made zero sense to me then and makes zero sense to me now.

I just thought this was a win or lose game. It ended up being 3.50 to 0.37 xG and 6-0 for big chances for them. To me with all the players we had out, our chance was to do a robbery like in the cup game. I would not have taken solace from a draw. 

2 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

After dumping them out of cup there I expected that. We were lethargic and lacked ideas - front line didn’t work and the subs changed nothing. Midfield was poor without Szobo and lacked balance - I’d like to see the team switch formations when players are out - play to the strengths of who we have fit, give opposition some guesswork; but we seem happy to have players fit into 4-3-3

Horrible to concede like that. Too many players way off their game. The better team wanted it more today that’s a concern. 

Another performance like that in the league this season will end any challenge for us. 

I don't know if formation was much to do with it. I just think a combination of team selection (a right of a not fit Trent and the weird combo of gakpo and gravenberch) and mostly, as you point out, just too many players having poor games. Off the top of my head the keeper, entire back 4, grav and gakpo were all varying degrees of poor. You just can't play away to One of the best teams in the league with more than half the team looking out of sorts. 

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I have watched some of the incidents again, still have no idea what the fuck was VVD trying to do for their 2nd goal. He should just fucking cleared it, pretty fucking basic. 

We didn't lose due to Taylor but the cunt still found a way to screw us - both yellows for Konate were questionable. 

For the 3rd goal there was a deflection off VVD, who should have closed down Trossard quite easily, but he chose to slowly jog back instead. 

I thought the 2nd yellow was clear enough. I'd have been amazed if that wasn't a yellow card. the first is not as clear as they're tugging each other. It's barely a foul for me. 

as for that 3rd goal. You can't blame that on vvd. We're down to 10 men, and Elliot gets beaten like that? It was embarrassing stuff. Vvd can't get over there. The 2nd goal is rightly on him, but the 3rd goal, it's just a combination of us being a man down, chasing the game and Elliot being the most defensively weak player in our squad. 

We lost the midfield battle, Jones and Gravenberch piss poor, same goes for Diaz. 

Dont think Ive ever seen a game with more lucky/unlucky goals than this though.

All four goals in the match had its fair share of it.

Saka goal - great save by Alisson, the ball could go anywhere, just luck made it fall for Saka.

Own goal Gabriel - handballed it into his own net, hilarious

Martinelli goal - royal fuck up. Martinelli gifted a goal, but another ref could have given Van Dijk a free kick for the push that led to the collision. 
Own goal Van Dijk- down to 10 men because of two poor calls from Taylor, Arsenal got space, but it was only Van Dijks touch that gifted them the third goal.

The match could easily have ended 0-0. 

Ill be fuming for a week now.

Missed Mo and Dom massively in this game. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I just thought this was a win or lose game. It ended up being 3.50 to 0.37 xG and 6-0 for big chances for them. To me with all the players we had out, our chance was to do a robbery like in the cup game. I would not have taken solace from a draw. 

You might not have taken solace. But we'd have taken a point. And that could be the difference between winning and not winning the league.

Ultimately, a draw would have been a great result given the performance. And woeful mistakes aside, we might have got one. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Code said:

We lost the midfield battle, Jones and Gravenberch piss poor, same goes for Diaz. 

Dont think Ive ever seen a game with more lucky/unlucky goals than this though.

All four goals in the match had its fair share of it.

Saka goal - great save by Alisson, the ball could go anywhere, just luck made it fell for Saka.

Own goal Gabriel - handballed it into his own net, hilarious

Martinelli goal - royal fuck up. Martinelli gifted a goal, but another ref could have given Van Dijk a free kick for the push that led to the collision
Own goal Van Dijk- down to 10 men because of two poor calls from Taylor, Arsenal got space, but it was only Van Dijks touch that gifted them the third goal.

The match could easily have ended 0-0. 

Ill be fuming for a week now.

Missed Mo and Dom massively in this game. 

I'm amazed how little was made of that. It was at least arguable. And had Nunez done the same, I guarantee a very different reaction from the media if not the referee. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Only just seen arsenal players celebrations christ almighty, odegaards camera shit. 

Exactly; They have won Fuck all. 

The fact remains; win our remaining games and we win the league; they dont. 

Beating us 3-1 means the grand sum of fuck all atm. 

Just now, Fowlers God said:

Exactly; They have won Fuck all. 

The fact remains; win our remaining games and we win the league; they dont. 

Beating us 3-1 means the grand sum of fuck all atm. 

We need to win all our remaining games though and that seems unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I'm amazed how little was made of that. It was at least arguable. And had Nunez done the same, I guarantee a very different reaction from the media if not the referee. 

This. I was pissed off at that 

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We won't need to win all our remaining games, though I think we will need to win all our home games.

I do have some concerns about how big the differences are in our home performances and away. Even allowing for the obvious home/away the levels of aggression and intent are vast.

Still think 85pts wins it. 87 definitely. Win all our home games we need 10 or 12 pts from the aways.

Not that bothered by the result in terms of what it means.

Consistency is what wins you the league not big games, that's just Sky patter: 'Showdown Sunday!' type shit.

On a bad day we could skin 99.9% of the league so we need to just make sure we do. Even under Evans and Houllier we'd regularly beat arsenal and Chelsea and still finish fourth because we'd get our kecks pulled down by Watford.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not that bothered by the result in terms of what it means.

Consistency is what wins you the league not big games, that's just Sky patter: 'Showdown Sunday!' type shit.

On a bad day we could skin 99.9% of the league so we need to just make sure we do. Even under Evans and Houllier we'd regularly beat arsenal and Chelsea and still finish fourth because we'd get our kecks pulled down by Watford.

Everytime we beat the Mancs in the 90's my Manc mate would come back with "Well you won the battle, you won't win the war".   
Let Arsenal enjoy winning their battle.  We have a war to win.  Fuck 'em all and let's batter Burnley.  

• Upvote 3

We are far too emotional as a team. When it works its like a whirlwind that just smothers opponents. When it doesn't we turn up in our slippers and paper.

And yesterday we strolled into the Emirates with our slippers firmly on. I just don't know how you can go into that game with that approach. There was nothing from us. No intensity, no focus, no energy. It was back to sideways passing, sloppiness and lethargy.

You know you can tell how shit we are going to be in a game when Alisson gets the first few touches of the ball, and yesterday he just dwelled on it constantly. At one point he was doing little drag backs on the centre circle. He's a fucking keeper.

On the other side you have Man City. yeah they are cheats and I despise them, but they are bloody ruthless. Its very rare to see them turn up to a match and not look arsed. They can be got at sure but they always look like they have a job to do which is like our sides of old and thats why teams are beaten before a ball is kicked.

We on the other hand like to give teams a way back in, we like to encourage them. in short we are our own worst enemy and the team that constantly gets the upper hand over us.

I haven't felt this way in a long time over one of our results, in fact I've been a bit more measured about our games in general, but goodness me we just handed them that game on a platter.

54 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I suppose from me; we arent asking the lads to do something they havent done before. 

They have done it; and that should give us the edge over Arsenal at least. For me it really will come down to the game against City. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everytime we beat the Mancs in the 90's my Manc mate would come back with "Well you won the battle, you won't win the war".   
Let Arsenal enjoy winning their battle.  We have a war to win.  Fuck 'em all and let's batter Burnley.  

This.

Its unbelievably easy for the twats at Arsenal to smell themselves isn't? Anyone would think they scored 3 worldies and played us off the park!

A tap in followed by a save, a monumental fuck up for the 2nd goal and a calamitous mistake for the 3rd too, sandwiched by a sending off for 2 yellows with at least one of those a screw up by Taylor.

All whilst missing our best striker and possibly out best midfielder just before the game and an inform bereaving fullback and 2 first team fullbacks coming back from injuries themselves.

My dislike for them has gone up several notches. 

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

This.

Its unbelievably easy for the twats at Arsenal to smell themselves isn't? Anyone would think they scored 3 worldies and played us off the park!

A tap in followed by a save, a monumental fuck up for the 2nd goal and a calamitous mistake for the 3rd too, sandwiched by a sending off for 2 yellows with at least one of those a screw up by Taylor.

All whilst missing our best striker and possibly out best midfielder just before the game and an inform bereaving fullback and 2 first team fullbacks coming back from injuries themselves.

My dislike for them has gone up several notches. 

Arsenal are one of the worst for smelling themselves.