You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 4th Feb 2024 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

A chance to cement our place at the summit, and give Arsenal a mountain to climb if they are to get back into the title race. The gap is currently 5 points and while there is still over a third of the season left to play, extending that gap to 8 points makes any chase very tricky. I'm not sure how much can be read into the result of the cup tie last month, but more of that will be very welcome.

Last season's fixture was a defensive horror show masked a bit by a refereeing disaster-class. Arsenal came flying out of the traps and could have led inside the first 20 seconds, and it wasn't long before they took the lead through Martinelli. Saka wide on the right was offside in the build-up but the VAR team didn't have a camera angle that showed where Saka was when the ball was played to him. We didn't shut down the space or the runners regardless. The ref and VAR decided that Gabriel could handle the ball in the area and declined to give us a penalty. Nevertheless, the equaliser came when Lucho ran onto a long clearance and squared for Darwin to slide in from 8 yards. We hadn't been great, and things got worse when Lucho had to come off after sustaining a knee injury following a hefty challenge, and that injury proved to be long-term ligament damage. He had probably been our brightest attacking player in the early weeks of the season, and would be a huge miss. Bobby came on for him and we maybe looked to get to half time on level terms and regroup. That didn't happen as Saka was left unmarked at the far post following a quick Arsenal break. Trent was hooked at half time, and we managed to grab another equaliser when Bobby fired home from an angle after a lovely through-ball. Arsenal grabbed the lead for a third time when Thiago clipped Jesus in the area. The Brazilian made a meal of it. Saka buried his kick for his second of the game. Another shit result in that shit oil spill kit.

Not sure who Arsenal have missing but we have a reasonable idea of how they want to play. The are capable of decent football but love a bit of shithouse diving antics and cry-arsing to the ref at any given opportunity. Timber has been out for them for a while. Probably just as well, as Darwin would undoubtedly ended up hitting him when trying to shoot!

For us, Baj, Thiago and Mo will be absent, though Thiago was apparently back in training this week. Endo is still at the Asian Cup. Other than that, I think we have a full compliment. The youngsters have really impressed in recent weeks, but I don't know if Jurgen will opt for experience for this one. I'd imagine there are low odds for Darwin hitting the woodwork again. He'd be boss at the crossbar challenge! At some point he will become extremely clinical, but he does need to find more composure when presented with an opportunity to shoot at goal. Maximum motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last. We have the ability to grab a great result, and need to show it. 3 points please. Get it done!

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, KevieG said:

Baring injuries you have to start the same team that started the Chelsea game. 

I can see Trent starting instead of Bradley. There'll be space for him to exploit. The rest will likely be the same as last night.

10 hours ago, KevieG said:

Baring injuries you have to start the same team that started the Chelsea game. 

I agree. 

Win this and things become incredibly exciting. 

Just fucking win. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Heard Anthony Taylor is the ref of a mate but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

They're certainly rolling out the classics for Klopp's run in.

Half expect that Howard Webb will announce his return to reffing for one night only for our game against City.

19 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Half expect that Howard Webb will announce his return to reffing for one night only for our game against City.

If Webb is making a return it’ll be at the theatre of his most glorious triumphs and he’ll be officiating our game at Old Trafford in April. 

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This is a must-win for Arsenal: a defeat or even a draw pretty much ends any title pretensions.  We've won there once this year and I'd quite like something like that again.

Just get these beat, Reds.

A defeat and I tend to agree that Arsenal are out of it. We’d be 8 points ahead, City would (likely) be 6 points ahead. 

A draw wouldn’t rule them out but they would certainly be big outsiders. 

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Taylor and Coote when a Liverpool player is fouled…

IMG_0822.jpeg

Taylor and Coote when a Arsenal player is fouled…

IMG_0821.jpeg

Love that!

I can see no obvious and clear foul here : Gabriel has just clotheslined Jota in the box.

He's forcefully tackled him in the box with intent to cause injury. Penalty and red card : Konate has brushed off Saka but won the ball.

33 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

It's incredible isn't it. 

Taylor is the worst though. Anyhow, common sense would suggest you don't have a Manc refereeing a game for us. Even if he tried to be fair, it's next to impossible. Imagine me refereeing the Mancs or City - there would be about six red cards given to them and in the case of City about four goals ruled out. I'd fuck them over in a game like Sheffield United at home. 

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

This is still showing as a 3pm kick off, how long before the twats in charge switch it to 12:30 just to really piss us off.

Should be under the lights this one .