You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If Edwards and Hughes get this one wrong and the next manager is jibbed then they should follow him out of the door. You want to be bold and brave that's fine if you believe in your data but if its wrong you can pay the same price as the man you employed. The Guru status of Edwards doesn't sit with me, there's only so many times I can hear "but Klopp wanted Brandt" Klopp was successful before Edwards and undoubtedly will be after. Edwards has as much to prove as Slot will.

Quite. The thralldom to nerds has grown tiresome.

3 minutes ago, kemskem said:

If we’re talking to left field candidates can’t we try to keep it secret in case it affects the players?

Yeah it's a bit shit that this is happening fairly publicly while we're trying to concentrate on ending the season, hopefully on a high note.  You never know, I suppose it might affect the players in a positive way? Win all our matches and give ourselves a slim chance of the league as it's going to be our last chance for a long time.

47 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I'm definitely not saying he's a bad manager. He might be a great manager. He might be tactically better than Klopp. 

But what I'm saying is why take the risk in the current situation? There is always going to be a dip post Klopp, it's kind of inevitable or expected. So just mitigate that risk and just steady the ship. Why take the gamble right now, it makes no sense.

I've never heard of this guy, most fans won't have, many players wont have. It's crazy to give him the job at one of the biggest clubs in the world and hope he can handle it. He doesn't have the status to buy him time if it goes wrong.

Hodgson was a stupid appointment because of his style of play and character. De Zerbi, might not be great, but we know what we are getting. We know his style of play but more importantly the players know his style. They would buy into him more because of his experience here. We need to keep our good players not risk losing them. 

Slot is the kind of gamble you take with a shit squad, hovering around 8th in the league. You don't need to take this kind of gamble with the team we have, it's mental.

Disagree. The players will buy into the new manager mainly because of his ideas, and how he manages to communicate and implement them. 

Also, of the current top managers in the PL, how many had ‘experience here’ when they took on their current job? Klopp, Pep and Arteta at least didnt, and neither did people like De Zerbi or Areola. Who are these managers that became a success in the PL and had experience here when they started?

Ah yes prem experience, let’s go for de zerbi. Or moyes might be available. There’s no outstanding candidate other than Xabi who isn’t available so there’s no outstanding candidate.

This guy ticks a lot of boxes, I’m all in on him. 

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think winning the league with Ajax or PSV is a piece of piss, but doing it with Feyenoord is a much bigger achievement. 

Giovanni van Bronckhorst won the league with Feyenoord. So does that mean it is a huge achievement if a patently average manager can do it, for me less so. That said, it is more of an unfancied club than Ajax and PSV, yeah. 

I think what Amorim is doing at Sporting is more impressive and difficult, but clearly there was a misalignment there. Slot seems like the second option to me, but targeting both of them makes sense. The idea is similar, which is that if you can win at clubs who arent the best and biggest in your league, you may have the traits to be an extraordinary manager who can do things against the odds, etc... 

So we are banking that Slot is an extraordinary manager and it s possible he is, but again, I dont think a single person can give you any certainties about being good in the Dutch League and what that means. It is an awful league. 

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Disagree. The players will buy into the new manager mainly because of his ideas, and how he manages to communicate and implement them. 

Also, of the current top managers in the PL, how many had ‘experience here’ when they took on their current job? Klopp, Pep and Arteta at least didnt, and neither did people like De Zerbi og Areola. Who are these managers that became a success in the PL and had experience here when they started?

There is definitely a level at the top clubs where you are dealing with world famous players so you need more clout to get them to buy into you. Or to be a really charismatic bastard.

You are spot on about having history in the premier league meaning nothing though. 6 of the top 10 clubs in the division have got managers who had never previously managed in England, and the other 4 all got sacked from their previous clubs (Emery, Moyes, Howe, Pochettino).

40 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

If there was a no risk option available then I'd agree.

What I don't understand is why you think De Zerbi is better? What's this based on?

You quite rightly say that most people haven't heard of Slot, but had you heard of De Zerbi before he became Brighton manger? Most people have only heard of De Zerbi because he now manages in England. 

It's not even like De Zerbi is doing particularly well at Brighton? They are 10th in the league. More or less where they were under Graham Potter.  If they were 4th this season I'd maybe understand it, but the reality is that Brighton are roughly where you'd expect them to be.

Personally I think Slot has achieved far more than De Zerbi. Unlike De Zerbi he knows how to win leagues and cups against teams that have bigger budgets, and that exactly what we need.  

The point with De Zerbi is he has his own football, which is very rare, and it is something that seems very suited to the high level. 

That is a trait that could make him a great manager, just like Slot winning at a worse club in Holland could make him a great manager. But the fact he won the Eredivisie and De Zerbi hasnt won anything means fuck all, lets be honest. 

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

This list is missing Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. 

And Frank Rijkaard. 

I think Slot might not be the right choice. But, you could’ve made a list of German managers who were shite when managing abroad just before we appointed Klopp and that would’ve been as useful and insightful as the list you’ve replied to. 

Just now, etho said:

Ah yes prem experience, let’s go for de zerbi. Or moyes might be available. There’s no outstanding candidate other than Xabi who isn’t available so there’s no outstanding candidate.

This guy ticks a lot of boxes, I’m all in on him. 

Same some of the criticism is ridiculous. Yes there are no outstanding candidates, but the club doesn't need some transformative figure to overhaul the club. The foundations are there and needs someone that can complement that rather than change anything. He doesn't seem like a bad fit given where we are at. The only thing missing is managing that expectation at a big club, but no one has the whole package.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point with De Zerbi is he has his own football, which is very rare, and it is something that seems very suited to the high level. 

That is a trait that could make him a great manager, just like Slot winning at a worse club in Holland could make him a great manager. But the fact he won the Eredivisie and De Zerbi hasnt won anything means fuck all, lets be honest. 

De Zerbi tries to get Brighton playing like Man City that's all. He's hardly some great revolutionary. De Zerbi not winning anything is significant as it means that he's not an overachiever. To be fair to him Shakhtar Donetsk were top of the league when he left Ukraine so he could/should have a Ukrainian league to his name.

I'd still rather go for somebody like Slot over De Zerbi though. 

11 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

De Zerbi tries to get Brighton playing like Man City that's all. He's hardly some great revolutionary. De Zerbi not winning anything is significant as it means that he's not an overachiever. To be fair to him Shakhtar Donetsk were top of the league when he left Ukraine so he could/should have a Ukrainian league to his name.

I'd still rather go for somebody like Slot over De Zerbi though. 

The bold parts are complete bollocks.

He does things tactically that no one else does. If you arent arsed about knowing what those are, dont even comment.

Secondly, the part about not overachieving, he has managed Brighton and Sassuolo, Those clubs havent won top flight trophies ever. 

Its just more reductionary shite about De Zerbi that people have spouted on here because they dont think he should manage Liverpool. Which, the part about not wanting him to be our manager is totally fine, but the reasons people have been giving have been absolutely awful. 

The list of Dutch managers covers men who have won most of the last dozen or so Dutch titles from 3 different clubs. Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV, 4 if you include McClaren!

Why have they all struggled when leaving Dutch clubs. The fella who is 9 points clear of Slot -- Bosz man was sacked by Dortmund before christmas and was hyped as the man to implement Kloppball a few years back. 

The Netherlands produces intelligent, versatile and skillfull players but their managers over the last 15/20 years have massively underperformed when leaving the league, baffled why some are sticking their fingers in their ears. I'm trying to find out if there is a reason and why this fella is different. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The bold parts are complete bollocks.

He does things tactically that no one else does. If you arent arsed about knowing what those are, dont even comment.

Secondly, the part about not overachieving, he has managed Brighton and Sassuolo, Those clubs havent won top flight trophies ever. 

Its just more reductionary shite about De Zerbi that people have spouted on here because they dont think he should manage Liverpool. Which, the part about not wanting him to be our manager is totally fine, but the reasons people have been giving have been absolutely awful. 

What does he do tactically that no one does? If he's such a good tactician how come Brighton are only 10th in the league? 

By overachieving I meant that he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. If he'd taken Brighton up to 4th this season, like Emery has done with Villa, I'd class that as overachieving.  They have massively dropped off this season though. after winning five of the first six, Brighton have only won six of their next twenty six league games. If they replicate this next season, they'll be closer to relegation than European football. 

Let's say the choice is between a full head of hair (Amorim) and a slaphead (Slot). 

You've got to go with the full head of hair, right?

Although some deviants want to compromise on a combover (Tuchel). Sick fuckers. 

4 hours ago, cloggypop said:

This list is missing Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. 

47 minutes ago, Code said:

What about Guus Hiddink?

31 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Louis van Gaal isn't there either.

14 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

their managers over the last 15/20 years have massively underperformed when leaving the league,

Advocaat won the treble his first year at Rangers. 

He then went onto manage about twenty other sides...and a handful of countries.

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Let's say the choice is between a full head of hair (Amorim) and a slaphead (Slot). 

You've got to go with the full head of hair, right?

Although some deviants want to compromise on a combover (Tuchel). Sick fuckers. 

Worth remembering Klopp is bald.

At least Slot has stayed honest to his baldness and not been a traitor to it.

• Haha 1