You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp ended up with all the power and that didn't seem to be a problem for most people.

Because he's the manager and deserves power. A manager should live or die by what they do on and off the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Because he's the manager and deserves power. A manager should live or die by what they do on and off the pitch. 

Klopp doing everything or having to do everything likely contributed to this fatigue that's making him leave.

And a lot of people would disagree that managers should do anything more than just be one of the voices in the room on things like transfers.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp doing everything or having to do everything likely contributed to this fatigue that's making him leave.

And a lot of people would disagree that managers should do anything more than just be one of the voices in the room on things like transfers.

The ultimate final decision has to be the managers. It's his team and his tactics that get played on the field. A sporting director is there to help him not have full control over him. The reports are Edwards wants full control so signing players and hiring and firing managers comes into that. He brought alot of good players in but Klopp had them performing. 

I'd happily see him back in the role but if the managers says I need player X and isn't convinced on the players Edwards wants and he can't convince him otherwise the manager job is the one on the line and its his team. So he should get the player if it can be done, with the knowledge that he will live and due by his signings. 

A committee picking targets and closing the right players is great. A sporting director closing the players and the coach not having overall say isnt

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The ultimate final decision has to be the managers. It's his team and his tactics that get played on the field. A sporting director is there to help him not have full control over him. The reports are Edwards wants full control so signing players and hiring and firing managers comes into that. He brought alot of good players in but Klopp had them performing. 

I'd happily see him back in the role but if the managers says I need player X and isn't convinced on the players Edwards wants and he can't convince him otherwise the manager job is the one on the line and its his team. So he should get the player if it can be done, with the knowledge that he will live and due by his signings. 

A committee picking targets and closing the right players is great. A sporting director closing the players and the coach not having overall say isnt

Spot on 

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The ultimate final decision has to be the managers.

Nothing to suggest that wouldn't still be the case and, as with Klopp, the managers decision doesn't have to be his 1st choice if the argument against is persuasive.

Edwards role (if he accepted) sounds like it would be far more wide ranging than just someone in charge of transfers and would be closer to Theo Epstein's role at FSG but focused on Liverpool.

I wonder if he accepted whether you'd see a Julian Ward style figure also come in.

24 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't think there is a manager anywhere who accepts a job knowing this would never be the case, anyway.

But the ideal structure 99% of the time is one like we had when Klopp got here. Until things inevitably devolve because of egos and whatnot. The 1% being when you have someone strong enough to have all the power. Maybe that is Edwards. Maybe that was Klopp, but that didn't last long. Obvious example was Ferguson.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Fuck giving Edwards fully control. I think his abilities have been vastly overstated. Klopp makes good players great players. We shouldn't be making one person the focal point so when they leave it all goes west. Klopp earned his influence over time and the content of his character is there for all to see. He wanted to leave the club in the best position he could. If the story is even true never take on anyone who demands all the power.

It’s true Klopp has made players great. 

It’s also true he sometimes opted for average players like Goetze and others but the club chose to go for Mané or Salah.

We need a director of football who has some power but it’s never good to have some one with total control.

It’s all about balance.

• Upvote 2

I think if he got Goetze he would of probably become as good as any of the rest. Klopps ability to develop players is his super power. Edwards analytics are common ground these days its not innovative as it was, we have the means without bringing him back as some guru. 

Although it would be interesting to know exactly what players Edwards pushed for.. got or didn't get in his time here.

• Upvote 1

What does total control of football operations even mean? Yes, he will be looking at the data, shortlisting players for a position, but the decision on player will definitely involve the manager. And Edwards is obviously not going to influence training, selection etc anyway.

Which is pretty much what he was doing?

18 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

What does total control of football operations even mean? Yes, he will be looking at the data, shortlisting players for a position, but the decision on player will definitely involve the manager. And Edwards is obviously not going to influence training, selection etc anyway.

Which is pretty much what he was doing?

All football operations, more of a technical director that looks at, and is responsible for setting, the entire footballing structure/philosophy from academy to 1st team rather than someone responsible just for recruitment.

I wonder if he'd assume some of Gordon/Hogans role depending on how hands on they are day to day.

27 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Paul Joyce is usually on the money isn’t he? Wonder what changed Edwards’ mind - last we heard was that he was focused on his new business

Not his business, Ian Graham is the only director/shareholder, whether there was a plan in place to make him a part owner or whether it was always a consultant/employee style arrangement who knows.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14695627/persons-with-significant-control

Edwards did ridiculously good work with us. No him, no Salah, and tonnes of other examples.

No manager calls all the shots these days, and nor should they. 

If he can work relatively well with Alonso or whoever, it’s a great move.

24 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Edwards did ridiculously good work with us. No him, no Salah, and tonnes of other examples.

No manager calls all the shots these days, and nor should they. 

If he can work relatively well with Alonso or whoever, it’s a great move.

What shots? Are you saying the manager shouldn't have final say on transfers?

Edwards did well, but I'd honestly rather we look elsewhere. He left for a reason, and in football it's usually better to move on than bring someone back.

Find people who can work together, like the structure under Klopp when he was building his team. No one looking for total control. Klopp earned the control he ended up with, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Edwards did well, but I'd honestly rather we look elsewhere. He left for a reason, and in football it's usually better to move on than bring someone back.

Find people who can work together, like the structure under Klopp when he was building his team. No one looking for total control. Klopp earned the control he ended up with, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Rush came back........ 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

What shots? Are you saying the manager shouldn't have final say on transfers?

Course the manager should have final say, but these days there needs to be an element of collaboration. It’s the difference between signing Julian Brandt or Mo Salah.

One of Klopp’s strengths has been his willingness to delegate and take a decent amount of advice. Not every transfer is a no brainer like Van Dijk or Alisson.

Rodgers thought he knew it all and we ended up replacing Suarez with:

237F0B04-E2E1-4774-83BF-1F0B4B031CE2.jpeg

Sounds to me we want him to be the new mike Gordon and he in turn would hire his old role and the managers role. Gordon was able to do that role, because he was FSG, so he didn't really need to go "upstairs" for decisions, because he was upstairs. I imagine Edwards wants that same autonomy, which obviously won't be the case because he'll never be an owner. 

He's doing all kinds away from the club. It would be surprising to me if he came back. In fact you would almost expect him to come into the ownership group to do it.