You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (H) - EFL Cup Quarter Final, Wed 20th Dec 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Performances have been very much below par lately, with any enterprising play dying at the feet of a forward line that all appear to be out of form, not helped by a midfield that itself is a little out of sorts. I feel the defensive line has generally been very good since the last international break, but it's what is in front of them that is giving cause for concern. In open play, the decision-making has been so off that we have had to resort to getting goals from set-pieces or firing howitzers from long range. Both are things that a team that doesn't dominate possession can make hay from. We are dominating possession in games but doing very little with it.

The sides last met at Anfield in this competition in January 1983. Liverpool won the match on their way to 3 in a row in the League Cup (then called the Milk Cup for sponsorship reasons). It finished 2-1 with David Hodgson and Souey getting goals either side of a Paul Allen equaliser.

West Ham are a hard side to call, because there are still games where they are abject and get a real shoeing (see Fulham), and others where the likes of Bowen and Kudus give the impression they could go up a level. No idea if Moyes will come to Anfield and play his usual cautious game and hope to nick something, or if he will free his players to express themselves.

For us, Jurgen needs the players to get out of this recent funk. While we have still managed to get results on the whole, there has been a lot of disjointed play and inconsistency in their performances. I think Jurgen will go with a stronger line-up than he fielded in Belgium last week, while still looking to rest one or two. Cody and Darwin badly need goals, and Lucho really needs to start looking like the dynamic threat he was pre-injury. This might be a game for Harvey to start. Whatever the selections, the motivation, concentration, attitude and application need to be absolutely on point from first minute to last. No excuses. Play for a place in the two-legged semis. Get it done!

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Another one I'm going to miss.  Going to a comedy gig with my (West Ham supporting) wife.  Here's hoping I've got plenty of reason to laugh before the night is out.

Just get these beat, Reds.

You didn't watch yesterday and we didn't win so sort your facking shit out and watch the game you cant

We need to be going for this, fuck dropping players. He will though. These cunts will be right up for it so we need to fix up and look sharp 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Pissed on a Monday? I suppose it is Christmas. 

What's the deal? Why don't you like it? 

I'm balancing injury risk Vs trying to find form in some. 

It's a young back 4 so I'd give Adrian the game. 

I'd hate Gomez to get injured, but if I have to risk one I'd have to risk Gomez. Christ knows if we can recall Van Den Berg or Rhys Williams from loan, I'd prefer that. 

Midfield is a nightmare to be honest.  You could even make a case for Spearing starting as 6, it's that bad. It's fucking ridiculous to have so many DMs unavailable at once.  That's Thiago, Bajcetic, MacAllister, which leaves us Endo, and we can't risk injuring him.  In fact, isn't Gravenberch injured now as well?  Fuckinell. 

Same goes for the two advanced midfielders, can't afford injuries, but Jones needs a bit more game time, and Elliott can do with a start in that RM position.  They don't need to play all game, but someone needs to start. 

Overall, our midfield is fucked, we can't sustain 3 injuries, while also trying to develop Jones and Elliott, and trying to bed in 4 new signings.  

Up front, Darwin needs to play and he needs to do so without Salah.  He needs to be the focal point.  So I'd pick Doak on the right who will have one job, to get to the byline and chuck crosses in.  We then have Darwin and Gakpo arriving on those crosses. 

Gakpo can also cut in from the left and hit a few. 

I can't bear to watch Diaz again. 

We might see Kone-Doherty, or Harvey Blair on the bench, two quick u21 attackers.  Maybe Koumas could get a spot. 

If we had a few more legs, I'd play a stronger team and try to get some momentum going I to Arsenal. But we're probably 1 more injury away from a bit of a crisis at the worst possible time of the season. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What's the deal? Why don't you like it? 

I'm balancing injury risk Vs trying to find form in some. 

It's a young back 4 so I'd give Adrian the game. 

I'd hate Gomez to get injured, but if I have to risk one I'd have to risk Gomez. Christ knows if we can recall Van Den Berg or Rhys Williams from loan, I'd prefer that. 

Midfield is a nightmare to be honest.  You could even make a case for Spearing starting as 6, it's that bad. It's fucking ridiculous to have so many DMs unavailable at once.  That's Thiago, Bajcetic, MacAllister, which leaves us Endo, and we can't risk injuring him.  In fact, isn't Gravenberch injured now as well?  Fuckinell. 

Same goes for the two advanced midfielders, can't afford injuries, but Jones needs a bit more game time, and Elliott can do with a start in that RM position.  They don't need to play all game, but someone needs to start. 

Overall, our midfield is fucked, we can't sustain 3 injuries, while also trying to develop Jones and Elliott, and trying to bed in 4 new signings.  

Up front, Darwin needs to play and he needs to do so without Salah.  He needs to be the focal point.  So I'd pick Doak on the right who will have one job, to get to the byline and chuck crosses in.  We then have Darwin and Gakpo arriving on those crosses. 

Gakpo can also cut in from the left and hit a few. 

I can't bear to watch Diaz again. 

We might see Kone-Doherty, or Harvey Blair on the bench, two quick u21 attackers.  Maybe Koumas could get a spot. 

If we had a few more legs, I'd play a stronger team and try to get some momentum going I to Arsenal. But we're probably 1 more injury away from a bit of a crisis at the worst possible time of the season. 

Nice one mate. I like to win trophies but each to their own. 

9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My choice. 

Screenshot_20231218-175741.png

Them fullbacks would be absolutely torn apart but Kudos and Paqueta. They wouldn't handle St Gilloise. They are miles away from first team level. The lack of depth at fullback is being badly shown up

I'm not sure why anybody is surprised by our injury crisis,it's as predictable as Christmas itself. Every season Klopp has to prioritise one area of the pitch positions over another and it's a big reason why he is so brilliant. It's criminal that he's been robbed of the amount of trophies he deserves by blatant cheating.

• Upvote 1