You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squad strengthening- should we/ will we?

niallers

We should always be looking at strengthening, irrespective of whether the coaching staff or the fans think the squad is complete. It might be old school thinking, but the way Sir Bob balanced squad harmony with ruthlessness is what Jurgen should be doing. 

• Upvote 2

Unless Gakpo or Nunez transform into world class forwards before Jan Id be looking at getting a poacher like Toney. Someone who just racks up goals. A centre back signing would be a luxury but if we can just go for "we will score 3, what have you got?" we should see it through for 18 games or so  as the defence and Alisson should see us through.

Failing that, Suarez on loan before his Miami adventure would do!

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

We need a forward. Unless Doak or Gordon are going to be given a chance?

We have 5 senior forwards, 1 of who will always play (although we are of course denied his services for probably a month soon)  - hard to imagine we'd bring in a 6th and have 5 players plus Doak effectively fighting for 2 places.

Our need IMO now is much more pressing in defence where we are walking a bit of a tightrope.

I see all the tired, factually incorrect, zingers are out in force.

Anyway, no surprises from me, I’ll say yes we will strengthen. With Matip’s injury, I don’t think we’re in a position where we cannot strengthen. 

Personally, I’d be looking to get whoever’s Thiago replacement in the summer will be in as well, I think that’s unlikely though - although we’ll likely be told that if Thiago ever returns, he will be like a new signing.

Personally, if he could get himself available, with the legs we now have in the side, I think he could be brilliant in the 2nd half for the season, I fully know the risks and issues that comes with him actually getting himself back on the pitch brings though. 

I think we need somebody else up front as well. I think we’ll go for Openda in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/12/2023 at 22:11, TD_LFC said:

The weirdly snide tone to the idea of us buying players in January is odd given previous winter windows.

Yep. Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gakpo, Diaz, Minamino, VVD etc but all the hilarious old jokes (ie tedious) can be rehashed agai . 

23 hours ago, Dave D said:

Unless Gakpo or Nunez transform into world class forwards before Jan Id be looking at getting a poacher like Toney. Someone who just racks up goals. A centre back signing would be a luxury but if we can just go for "we will score 3, what have you got?" we should see it through for 18 games or so  as the defence and Alisson should see us through.

Failing that, Suarez on loan before his Miami adventure would do!

Gakpo is a way better and far more intelligent striker than Nunez in my book, way better finisher and should be , along with Salah the first of the forwards on the team sheet. 

On 09/12/2023 at 18:16, niallers said:

Paulihnas tackle numbers are off the charts. He's miles ahead of everyone. Away to the bigger teams, he would be very handy. He's decent enough on the ball and he's not really played a lot for a 28 years old. More like the mileage of a 24 year old. Started late.

Considering how young the rest of the midfield is, signing a 28 year old might actually be a good option even if it's not how we normally do things.

Coming into the season we mostly thought we needed anther centre back, and I’d say we can be pretty happy with how Quansah has looked, but losing Matip means we’re definitely now short.

im fine with us not going for a 6, not least because they’d not be up to speed with what Klopp wants from them until about a week before the end of the season anyway.

beyond that, I’d want a wide forward in if we think Salah is off in the summer, otherwise I’m happy staying put up that end of the pitch too.