You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

59 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ok so this seems to be latest....

How the rankings stand at the moment?

At the start of this week's round of European fixtures, Italy and Germany occupied the top two slots, with England in third.

England are in a slightly worse position now than on Monday despite Arsenal's win over Porto in the Champions League.

That is because Borussia Dortmund also won against PSV, and Germany's points are divided by seven to England's eight.

Mikel Arteta's team collected three performance points, two for the win and one for going through. This is then divided by eight - the number of English teams who competed in Europe this season - and is added to the total.

And this brings us back to West Ham v Freiburg.

Given Italy's strong position - and the fact four of their teams go into respective last-16 ties in the Europa League and Europa Conference League in very strong positions - the prospect of Serie A not getting a European performance slot is slim.

However, between England and Germany it is tighter, not least because three out of seven Bundesliga sides have already been eliminated and therefore can not accrue any more points.

It would take a huge swing for Brighton, who are 4-0 behind against Roma, to change this situation.

But with Arsenal and Manchester City already into the Champions League quarter-finals, Liverpool virtually there in the Europa League and Aston Villa favoured to advance in the Europa Conference League, England should have at least four teams through. Germany are likely to have at least three.

If West Ham were to eliminate Freiburg, then like Arsenal they would secure three points. Depending on how it happened, if Freiburg went through then the German side would receive somewhere from one to three additional points, having already collected two points for winning the first leg.

In coefficient terms, that is a swing of nearly a point. The gap at the start of this week was 0.875. The outcome will not be definitive, but whoever wins puts their country into a very strong position.

From this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68553886

That should go into the shitness thread. What a fucking ridiculous way to run a competition.

I think getting them in the semi would be better than the final maybe. 2 legs and one at Anfield might be the difference 

Don't want Roma

Stabby cunts, should have been banned years ago

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The red card against Qarabag looks so harsh. I'm glad the risk of a trip to Azerbaijan is gone, but a small tug of a sleeve miles from goal is not a clear goalscoring opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

You want the manager replacing Klopp to have his side coming back from a losing position and never giving up. He’s ticking the remaining boxes here.

Fuck that, I want the manager replacing Klopp to never be in a losing position and I'll never set foot in Anfield again until we get that. Or until I fluke a ticket.

We rightly don't fear any team, so I'm pleased Leverkusen got through, only circumstances can fuck us in the Europa now, like injuries, or a trip to the other side of the Earth which is somehow still in UEFA.

29 minutes ago, Strontium said:

We rightly don't fear any team, so I'm pleased Leverkusen got through, only circumstances can fuck us in the Europa now, like injuries, or a trip to the other side of the Earth which is somehow still in UEFA.

The Caucasus, Europe’s dangly bits.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Leverkusen would be a fucking potential nightmare - never forgotten them dumping us out in 2002.

That Leverkusen team was stacked with quality players. This Leverkusen has some handy players but it's their manager that is making the magic happen for them.

34 minutes ago, Baltar said:

That Leverkusen team was stacked with quality players. This Leverkusen has some handy players but it's their manager that is making the magic happen for them.

There was no real equivalence being made.

They are though clearly a very good side - unbeaten all season so far, that takes some doing.

I just remember that defeat vividly and how gutting it was - missed out on a 2 legged semi v the mancs.

We battered them in 05 mind in last 16!