You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, Code said:

If someone think this was a good result for us you basically know fuck all about sportspsychology. 

That may be true when you dismantle your opponents. Scraping through on penalties against a side sitting 3rd in a 2nd tier league I’m not so sure. 

The quarter final legs come along when City play Spurs and around the time Arsenal play Villa and Wolves away.

1 minute ago, Code said:

If someone think this was a good result for us you basically know fuck all about sportspsychology. 

They are a very good team. This is a boost for their morale (best way for them to get through), but if they lose say Rice to an injury for the rest of the season in the next round, then it's worth it's weight in gold.

Arsenal aren't winning this. Rice literally shit his pants tonight. 

Hopefully they draw City next. Keep ratcheting up the pressure on both and hopefully they'll slip in the league 

I've said for years that the keeper shouldn't move on the first peno. Anyone thinking of going down the middle needs a change of tact and those that wait for the keeper to move also have to reconsider their approach. 

9 minutes ago, Code said:

The result will help them but his use of the squad won't. The Arsenal bench now know he doesn't trust them, that will bite them eventually.

3 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Yeah but when it comes to crunch time in the league the fatigue issue will play a massive part.

Fatigue, possible injuries being more likely with more games, less preparation time for league games - shortened recovery times and so on.

Plenty of time to enjoy them being beat - for now the absolutely best thing for us in regards to them is more games for them and more stuff like the above to deal with.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Code said:

17 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I'm with you. For me that's nothing but a boost and no game this weekend after et.

You really think they are going to get a boost from that performance? They'll have known the score whenever Liverpool played Porto with the same manager and 41 year old Pepe in defence. We destroyed them. 

That's twice in a week they've played shit now. They weren't allowed to play at all and do their thing. That will be in the back of their minds.

Did you really want them to only have one game a week in a title run in with a full strength squad? We absolutely needed them to get through to have more games, more fatigue and possible injuries. Not to mention how European football can drain you. I'm glad they got through, hopefully they get through to the semi's.

Obviously they will get a big boost reaching the quarter finals for the first time in 14 years, instead of being knocked out and not having a game in three weeks. 

Then City away coming up.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Code said:

I'm indifferent to Arsenal: they're finishing third.

If this gives them a psychological boost ahead of the City game, it could be good for us.

10 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

You really think they are going to get a boost from that performance? They'll have known the score whenever Liverpool played Porto with the same manager and 41 year old Pepe in defence. We destroyed them. 

That's twice in a week they've played shit now. They weren't allowed to play at all and do their thing. That will be in the back of their minds.

Did you really want them to only have one game a week in a title run in with a full strength squad? We absolutely needed them to get through to have more games, more fatigue and possible injuries. Not to mention how European football can drain you. I'm glad they got through, hopefully they get through to the semi's.

I don't think they've any chance of winning the league with the fixtures they've got left whether they won tonight or not. I'd say they've more chance of winning in Europe. 

16 minutes ago, Code said:

Obviously they will get a big boost reaching the quarter finals for the first time in 14 years, instead of being knocked out and not having a game in three weeks. 

They are a system team. When they aren't allowed to play their pretty patterns it will effect their psychology more than giving them a lift. Scraping through past a shit Porto isn't going to boost them.

11 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I don't think they've any chance of winning the league with the fixtures they've got left whether they won tonight or not. I'd say they've more chance of winning in Europe. 

They have more chance of winning the league than they do winning the champions league. City and Madrid will destroy them. Even if they do win the champions league, so what, it'll be their first and doesn't effect us at all.

This is our big chance to win the league with the best manager in the world leaving in a few months. We need every edge we can get and we need city and Arsenals focus to be on other things.

• Upvote 2

Arsenal will have Brighton away, Villa at home and Wolves away squeezed around their CL matches. Those 3 games with 7 days preparation should be 9 points. With huge CL games those 3 games look considerably more difficult. 

Should they progress then it's Spurs, Bournemouth and Man Utd, same rules apply for those 3.

8 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

They are a system team. When they aren't allowed to play their pretty patterns it will effect their psychology more than giving them a lift. Scraping through past a shit Porto isn't going to boost them.

They have more chance of winning the league than they do winning the champions league. City and Madrid will destroy them. Even if they do win the champions league, so what, it'll be their first and doesn't effect us at all.

This is our big chance to win the league with the best manager in the world leaving in a few months. We need every edge we can get and we need city and Arsenals focus to be on other things.

I had this discussion with an tha on Sunday. If you think Arsenal will win 8 of their last 10  then we are never going to agree. They could win just 2 games and be in a champions league final in London.

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

Arsenal will have Brighton away, Villa at home and Wolves away squeezed around their CL matches. Those 3 games with 7 days preparation should be 9 points. With huge CL games those 3 games look considerably more difficult. 

Should they progress then it's Spurs, Bournemouth and Man Utd, same rules apply for those 3.

Good post. City's game at Spurs will be extra nasty too as well.

Not wanting to go off topic, I hope we avoid Rangers and English teams in the Europa. Obviously, nothing should be easy at that part of the competition, but a blood and guts two legged tie against a local team isn't what I want.

Maisfutebol: Conceição post-match: "That's not important.  What Arteta says or doesn't say ... During the match he turned to the bench and in Spanish, it must be a Spanish manager thing because it was the same thing with Guardiola, he insulted my family.  In the end, I told him to pay attention, because whoever he insulted is no longer among us, and to worry about training his team, because due to individual quality he has an obligation to do more and better."

58 minutes ago, Code said:

"Big boost" can also easily dissipate at City where they are very unlikely to win due to their poor record there.

And "big boost" can definitely disappear as soon as they get drawn against the likes of Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid or City in the quarter finals. They struggled to get past a rather average Porto. They definitely wouldn't breeze past those other teams I've listed.