You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Arsenal - 9 April at 16.30

Anubis

6 hours ago, Trumo said:

After an awful display at City last weekend followed by a somewhat fortunate goalless draw at Chelsea in midweek, we welcome the league leaders to Anfield. Arsenal have shades of Liverpool 2013/14 and Leicester 2015/16 about them this season. Players who’d previously been written off suddenly finding themselves in great form, a midfielder who has been one of the stars of the season, a South American forward who looks a real threat in every game, a young English livewire who runs like a T-Rex but is capable of making and taking chances, and an injury-prone centre forward signed from a trophy-winning team who has given them a dynamism in attack. AFTV must be boring as fuck right now as they get to enjoy a team well placed to win a surprise league title this season. It was much better when they aired their thoughts and opinions on the latest disappointment, much to the amusement of other clubs’ fans. Anyway:

Control. Love of the game. Urgency. Bravery. Style. Heart. Organisation. Power. Tactical flexibility. Yer ma.

I don’t ask for much.

Last season’s corresponding fixture in November 2021 saw the Reds completely dismantle the Gunners. Again. We had become accustomed to this, scoring goals for fun against one of the flakiest teams in the division. Ramsdale had had to resort to some desperate last-ditch goalkeeping to thwart Sadio and Mo early on, but he was powerless to stop Sadio from planting a free header into the far corner following a deep free kick from Trent. We were dominant but only led 1-0 at the break. Into the second half and, after initially winning the ball off Mo tight to the right touchline, Arsenal full back Tavares carried the ball out and played a loose pass across the edge of his own penalty area, right to Diogo in acres of space. He took the ball into the box, put an Arsenal defender on his arse with a neat shimmy, and then rounded the sprawling Ramsdale to roll the ball into an empty net. 2-0 and we took our cue to swarm the Arsenal goal, creating chance after chance. The third goal duly arrived and again it was a work of art. Ali’s lofted pass to Robbo near halfway was headed onwards into Diogo as Sadio began to set off down the left. Diogo’s brilliant header set the Senegal man free and he raced into the box before squaring to an unmarked Mo to volley into the net from just a few yards out. We could take our foot off the gas and see the game out, or we could look for more goals. We sort of did both, and another intricate bit of pass-and-move freed Trent who squared to an unmarked Taki at the back post. Taki had only just entered the field as a sub. It was great stuff and we were flying. 4-0 it finished.

Cast your mind back to the early-to-mid 60s. Alf Ramsey’s England would soon be hosting the World Cup in 1966, and the music scene was full of twenty-somethings making a splash on both sides of the pond. Live football was still a rarity, and the BBC looked for a new audience of football fans who could enjoy highlights far removed from the old Pathé newsreels. Even back then, football was a sure-fire way to get TV viewers. The very first Match Of The Day saw Liverpool take on Arsenal at Anfield in August 1964. Everton fans would probably claim it as a first via their usual mental gymnastics. Liverpool won the game 3-2 thanks to a goal from Sir Roger and two by Gordon Wallace. Wallace’s second was to prove the winner after Arsenal had clawed their way back into the match with goals from future Liverpool stalwart Geoff Strong and another by Joe Baker. Back then, the main camera was in the Kemlyn so the Kop is to the left of the screen.

The big film making waves in August 1964? Why it was none other than A Hard Day’s Night, starring four fellas who were fairly popular in the States at the time. It’s basically an amusing caper mixing reality with fiction, a cracking soundtrack and a blatant cash-in on the band’s immense popularity. At that point, before all the psychedelia and sound experimenting, The Beatles’ signature sound was at the forefront of ‘Merseybeat’ which was at the forefront of the British invasion on US shores. Far from being a mere commercial cash-in though, it’s actually quite a good film that masks the fact these guys couldn’t act. They only really had to be themselves. Spice World it most definitely ain’t.

There’s a genuine fear that a lot of our players have given up on this season. That’s alarming at any time, but with 10 games still to play, we can only get one more point than Arsenal’s current total, and that’s if we win all 10 games. That’s how much we have fallen away this season. Attitude and application have gone AWOL this season, but I want the players to play like this matters and show plenty of concentration, composure, creativity and clinical finishing. The shitness has to stop somewhere, so come on Reds, at least make me want to consider watching a clip or two of AFTV afterwards.

I love Trumo's reports but there is a distinct whiff of those blokes who put their suit on and sit in the park all day rather than tell the wife they have been canned at work.

However, I am Sir Roger and I worked in the Bank with Gordon Wallace's son, so who knows what that could mean for Sunday.

On 05/04/2023 at 11:51, No2 said:

Virgil, Mo and Trent where dropped for a shit performance at City following an even shitter one at Bournemouth, if any of them return on Sunday then dropping them was fucking pointless. 

No they were not.

The players have made a selection of rods for their own backs now, regardless of what happens. If we beat Arsenal on Sunday, people will justifiably ask why the fuck the same group didn’t fancy putting a shift in against Bournemouth and similar. 

It’s easier to fight in a one-off match to prove a point, than struggle in a season of (less than) mediocrity.

We’d already beaten City at Anfield when we ambled into the Etihad expecting a repeat performance ergo no effort.

This will be different. We deserved to beat The Gunners at their place but got literally shafted.

I predict 3-1 and a good shift put in to correct the wrongs of the past. Mo to score, but beyond that, the tea leaves are murky.

48 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Meeting on Sunday for my cousin’s birthday; she wanted us to meet for lunch early so we could all watch the match.

I was having none of that.

Booked the restaurant for 4:30pm.

Going to relations for Sunday dinner and they said ' Don't panic we'll put yours on a tray so you can go in the living room and watch  '.  I said fuck that I'm staying at the table. 

• Upvote 1

Before this we only have two matches against teams above us, Arsenal and Tottenham at home. 

And only 2 other games against teams in the top half, Brentford and Fulham, again both at home. 

All of our hardest away games are behind us, I might be overly optimistic here, but I think we're able to put a decent run together. Only 10 points off 4th. A man can dream. 

30 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Before this we only have two matches against teams above us, Arsenal and Tottenham at home. 

And only 2 other games against teams in the top half, Brentford and Fulham, again both at home. 

All of our hardest away games are behind us, I might be overly optimistic here, but I think we're able to put a decent run together. Only 10 points off 4th. A man can dream. 

"he won't hit me again.  He was under a lot of stress at work last time.  And the time before that, he'd just been out drinking while on antibiotics.  And the time before that, he'd just had some bad news about his mum's kidney stones.  He definitely won't hit me again.  He promised as much in a press conference". 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

tumblr_myv40yep7i1qe7x4lo1_400.gif

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

3 wins in 15 away games this season.

13 pts in those 15 games.

A GD of minus 10

Just 14 goals scored.

Failed to even score at Palace, Bournemouth, Wolves, Forest and Everton.

Would be wholly out of character for this team this season to suddenly start winning games away.

Of course i want to see it change - just can't see it...Prove us wrong, Redmen - i'd love you to.

26 minutes ago, an tha said:
2 hours ago, an tha said:

A GD of minus 10

Just 14 goals scored.

Would be wholly out of character for this team this season to suddenly start winning games away.

Of course i want to see it change - just can't see it...Prove us wrong, Redmen - i'd love you to.

A GD of minus 10

Just 14 goals scored.

West ham in 13th is our hardest remaining away game. I know how shit we've been but the players we have should be good enough to beat whoever we have remaining. 

Should be. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

West ham in 13th is our hardest remaining away game. I know how shit we've been but the players we have should be good enough to beat whoever we have remaining. 

Should be. 

I hear you i really do..

And i really want us to do the business.

But I can't get away from fact those same players should have been good enough to win more than 3 of our 15 away games to date this season.

That they should have been good enough at least manage a goal in trips to Wolves, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton and Palace - 5 games they got a total of 2 pts from.

I just don't know what suddenly changes to mean we finds wins even given the 4 aways we face. Let's hope it does and maybe it will - just really hard to see it at present.

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

I hear you i really do..

And i really want us to do the business.

But I can't get away from fact those same players should have been good enough to win more than 3 of our 15 away games to date this season.

That they should have been good enough at least manage a goal in trips to Wolves, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton and Palace - 5 games they got a total of 2 pts from.

I just don't know what suddenly changes to mean we finds wins even given the 4 aways we face. Let's hope it does and maybe it will - just really hard to see it at present.

Part of me still struggles to understand how we suddenly went so shit in the first place. Other than losing Mane I don't know how how the same footballers we had last season have all forgotten how to play football. I'm just hoping the right circumstances can force them to remember again. 

16 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Part of me still struggles to understand how we suddenly went so shit in the first place. Other than losing Mane I don't know how how the same footballers we had last season have all forgotten how to play football. I'm just hoping the right circumstances can force them to remember again. 

For me the warning signs were there - we as a club ignored them.

I appreciate we got to every final last season, won two trophies and only lost league by a point - but for me the signs were there, the results were better than the performances often.

Then on top of that our engine so to speak had accumulated a bomb load more of heavy, hard miles and in some cases key parts have ground to a halt - and we didn't do the required maintenance - and other teams have improved too.

We've also not quite been able to figure out yet how to use our new forwards - we bought one who was primarily a number 9 and have played him wide left mostly and bought one who was primarily a wide left player and played him down middle - add this to a broken down midfield, a shit load of injuries which have meant we have had to overplay ageing, tired players and kids and been unable to rotate effectively and have proper options off bench for so much of season and the whole thing has just stalled.

All those things have exacerbated our weaker areas, nullified our strengths somewhat, harmed confidence and that dented confidence and frustration has led one or two to tune out.

It's a perfect storm basically.

I do wonder with some if the hunger has died and whether they can get it back too.

This is massive for them tomorrow.

Man City have been building a head of steam and starting to do what they always seem to as the run in starts - Arsenal have been helped a touch by the fixture list too always being a game ahead after each set of fixtures.

They've done well to steady ship after some wobbles and also pulling big results out of the fire when in trouble like against Bournemouth.

Tommorow represents a really big game for them - a fixture on a ground they have an awful record at in recent times - last 6 they have lost and an overall score off 22-4...

Win and it is a big statement win - even though we are mediocre, it is still a big thing to win at Anfield - and still not an easy thing to do - for all our problems we are still around 4th in the home table....Win and it is a big hurdle cleared for them and one that will really give them even more belief, and maybe start eating at Man City's belief - Man City are in steamroller mode, but they aren't closing the gap - that starts to become a problem....

Lose and suddenly the questions will be being asked and loudly - and Man City are suddenly closer, with a game in hand and arguably given they have Arsenal at home to come with it in their own hands.

Tomorrow is a big, big game for Arsenal a really potentially pivotal one.