You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Players like fabinho, I think you need to sit down with them and see what they think about the whole situation. But it needs to be an honest 2 way discussion. If the club think he's done in England, they need to tell him. Perhaps he's struggling for other reasons - for instance he wouldn't be the first player to struggle after the birth of their first kid and we don't know how smooth the pregnancy was etc. There could be a number of small things contributing to his big dip in performance. He seems a pretty mature professional, so I doubt he wants to be a bit part player here. So sit down, try to understand what the fuck is going on and it might suit all parties to sell. But there may also be a way back - that is part of klopp's job and judgement. 

I think we have enough to do this summer, I've said it before. 3 in for Chamberlain, keita and milner is enough. So ideally that'll be it. Be we don't have one midfielder at the club (not counting the kids) that can feel secure about any short term future here. If the right money was offered for any of Jones, thiago, Henderson or fabinho, we should absolutely think about it. 

We dont need 3 replacements for Chamberlain, Keita and Milner (and Arthur). We have 11 midfielders on the books for 3 positions. We could easily let the 4 of them go if the other 7 were in form and robust, without any concerns whatsoever. Buy players that are not sicknotes and 7 or 8 midfielders (including Morton who I presume will be involved next season) is more than enough to cover. 

16 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

I must be the one of the few who'd keep Milner. I think a lot of people judge him on his age and that alone. 

If we're going to have 8-9 midfielders then just keep him as the 8th or 9th choice. His performances are still good when called upon. Even at right back he's been better than Trent this season. 

Plus he's homegrown and if keeping him means we have more flexibility to recruit from overseas elsewhere in the squad then that shouldn't be discounted. 

You lose an awful lot when players like Milner leave the club. 

I’d fuck Henderson off before Milner.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

We dont need 3 replacements for Chamberlain, Keita and Milner (and Arthur). We have 11 midfielders on the books for 3 positions. We could easily let the 4 of them go if the other 7 were in form and robust, without any concerns whatsoever. Buy players that are not sicknotes and 7 or 8 midfielders (including Morton who I presume will be involved next season) is more than enough to cover. 

We need 3 players as we don't have one you would pick now out of choice. I'm not arsed about Morton or Bajcetic. There's no reason to think Morton can contribute and like all young kids, Bajcetic is doing fine, but he might disappear for months or years. I'm not sure how you're getting to 11 either. Elliot and carvalho are not midfielders now, although they may transform in years down the line. We have the 3 out of contract, plus fab, Henderson, thiago and Jones. If we qualify for Europe and the expected continuation of 5 subs, it should be be unreasonable to need to use 5 midfielders per game assuming a 3 man midfield. And we'll always have 1 or 2 injured even without chronic sick notes. We absolutely need 3 midfielders this summer. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

We are going absolutely nowhere under these greedy twats. They are so blatant about it now as well. All we are is just some property on Homes under the Hammer that generates massive rent for them with little or no investment so they put their efforts into other ventures. 

Football is dead on its feet anyway mate. Its heading for a massive revamp and away from traditional leagues.

• Like 1

Selling Kelleher indefinitely would be daft imo. I watched the City Arsenal game with a mate who is a goalkeeping coach and he said Kelleher is superior to Ramsdale. I would agree. That's a keeper who is number one for a team in a title race and is talked about as a future England number 1. My mate reckons Kelleher will become the level below world class, but has an outside chance to be world class. He'd be quite critical of keepers so high praise I would say.

Selling Ali would send all the wrong signals from the club. He's the best keeper in the world. He's been consistently our best player - Virgil, Trent and Mo have had very mediocre periods among many other stalwarts. I'm not saying that those three along with Fabinho are written off because I've a feeling they will all come roaring back, but Ali has rarely been anything less than outstanding. He seems a great lad as well.

My preference would be loaning Kelleher to Dortmund or a club that has a player that we like, as a sweetener for one to two years. Give him top level experience and get him ready to become number one here.

If FSG aren't going to invest what is needed to get our top targets, then I would consider selling Ali and making Kelleher number one. I'd be fuming with FSG but I feel Kelleher is good enough and if it goes towards Bellingham or other top players, it may be a shrewd move. As I said, I don't want that to happen though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Selling Kelleher indefinitely would be daft imo. I watched the City Arsenal game with a mate who is a goalkeeping coach and he said Kelleher is superior to Ramsdale. I would agree. That's a keeper who is number one for a team in a title race and is talked about as a future England number 1. My mate reckons Kelleher will become the level below world class, but has an outside chance to be world class. He'd be quite critical of keepers so high praise I would say.

Selling Ali would send all the wrong signals from the club. He's the best keeper in the world. He's been consistently our best player - Virgil, Trent and Mo have had very mediocre periods among many other stalwarts. I'm not saying that those three along with Fabinho are written off because I've a feeling they will all come roaring back, but Ali has rarely been anything less than outstanding. He seems a great lad as well.

My preference would be loaning Kelleher to Dortmund or a club that has a player that we like, as a sweetener for one to two years. Give him top level experience and get him ready to become number one here.

If FSG aren't going to invest what is needed to get our top targets, then I would consider selling Ali and making Kelleher number one. I'd be fuming with FSG but I feel Kelleher is good enough and if it goes towards Bellingham or other top players, it may be a shrewd move. As I said, I don't want that to happen though.

The first paragraph emphasises why we have to sell him. He's too good to be number 2, he's behind Bazunu for Ireland as well which has to be a consideration, first one of them to establish themselves has a spot in the team for 10 years.

“Oh well guys we put the club up for sale but no one wanted to pay our asking price or invest a fortune for a share, we tried, having no Champions League means we need to be prudent. The young midfield guys Bajetic and Morton will save us millions, you just wait for the Transfer Warchest in Summer 2024 when we get CL again”

1 hour ago, No2 said:

The first paragraph emphasises why we have to sell him. He's too good to be number 2, he's behind Bazunu for Ireland as well which has to be a consideration, first one of them to establish themselves has a spot in the team for 10 

If he is playing for Dortmund or another team playing week in week out, with the possibility of being number one here in a few years, that would keep him happy.

A loan would be better ideally but it looks like we need the cash so a sale with a buy-back clause is next best option 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

If he is playing for Dortmund or another team playing week in week out, with the possibility of being number one here in a few years, that would keep him happy.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If United become the latest sportwashing acquisition I wouldn't bet against Bellingham signing for them. 

Just had some manc saying something about Mbappe saying he wants to go there.

Unlike us, who’ve never really been in for him, they’ll be a contender regardless of whether the sale goes through.

It’s unrealistic for us to compete in the market with mega clubs like West Ham and Tottenham, let alone United - their revenues must be on a different planet to ours!

15 minutes ago, Razoray said:

A loan would be better ideally but it looks like we need the cash so a sale with a buy-back clause is next best option 

I wouldn't have a big problem with that, if there was a buy back clause. I'm not sure if that reduces the price though which may be a problem for FSG, who will want to maximise profit, especially if they are thinking that they may not be around, or would be very much minority shareholders by the time Kelleher may be coming back as number 1.