You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Bellingham, Gvardiol and Musah and we'll be all right. That's all...

Won't be enough. You have Keita, ox, Adrian and Milner available on frees this summer. Matip is forever injured and Gomez is crap. Philips and Williams are definitely leaving. Tsimikas might too considering he doesn't play much. Carvalho and Curtis jones - unsure if we'll send them out on loans 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Won't be enough. You have Keita, ox, Adrian and Milner available on frees this summer. Matip is forever injured and Gomez is crap. Philips and Williams are definitely leaving. Tsimikas might too considering he doesn't play much. Carvalho and Curtis jones - unsure if we'll send them out on loans 

Three midfielders and two centre halves probably a back-up keeper. Sell Kelleher with a buy back or loan him to a good side for two years if we have the funds to( don’t laugh) 

An arl arse back-up keeper and 4th choice cb preferably English. Sell the shite and spend the £200m ‘ warchest’

2 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I presume if Adrian and/or Kelleher are released/sold then they will be replaced, with a purchase or a promotion for Davies. 

If both Gomez and Matip are sold then we will need 2 CBs to replace them and we will need a backup RB unless Ramsay is ready.

Phillips and Williams have not started a game at CB in the league this season. 

Carvalho Ox Milner and Jones have started 2 league games between them in midfield so if we let them all go then 2 new midfielders should be sufficient to replace them, Keita and even if Fabinho is sold. 

Carvalho Jones and Ox have played a few games in the front 3 but Gakpo has made it 6 forwards now and you would hope that we will not be as unlucky as this year with 4 out at the same time. 

A backup GK if Kelleher or Adrian go

A serious back up to RB if Ramsay isn’t up to it

1 CB (2 if Gomez and Matip are sold)

2 starting CMs

If they are a success, it will be enough to revitalise the team and drop the average age of the squad to mid-20s.

If the drop in form of those staying is permanent or if the new purchases are as injury prone as those moving on, then we are in real trouble. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd be very surprised if Gomez goes anywhere, he's just signed a new contract, is home grown and can play in a few different positions (insert your comments on his ability to play those here).

It'd take an offer we're not going to get to let him go.

I would say Gomez is ok as a back up RB.

I think we've seen enough now to know he can't be trusted at CB & I say that as someone who has backed him a lot down the years.

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

MIght as well shut this thread down now. The old "CL qualification affects the transfer kitty" excuse is being trotted out and the season is just about halfway through.

it was a few months ago. Allegedly two different lists of targets based on CL qualification or not.

6 hours ago, Pidge said:

Bellingham, Gvardiol and Musah and we'll be all right. That's all...

Add in someone like Thuram/Kone for the midfield and a couple of free transfers like Gundogan,Tielemans,Lemar for midfield and a someone like Evan Ndicka as another CB. 

Probably need a back up keeper Ron Robert Zieler makes sense as he counts as home grown and he's on a free

33 minutes ago, skend04 said:

MIght as well shut this thread down now. The old "CL qualification affects the transfer kitty" excuse is being trotted out and the season is just about halfway through.

Yet does not seem to be an issue for clubs like Arsenal who have lower revenue than us and our friends down the east lancs...

1 minute ago, Mook said:

You've lost me.

As usual.

Both are obviously very talented players. No CB is going to look good playing in this team right now. Van Dijk doesn't really. People bitch about Konate FFS.

I have seen Gomez be very good in this system at CB. There are far more pressing concerns imo than GoJomez.

Agree he is more useful because he can play full back. 

Matip out before Joe methinks.

3 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I think we need at least six quality players. You can't overstate how big the rebuilding job is in midfield and at CB.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both are obviously very talented players. No CB is going to look good playing in this team right now. Van Dijk doesn't really. People bitch about Konate FFS.

I have seen Gomez be very good in this system at CB. There are far more pressing concerns imo than GoJomez.

Agree he is more useful because he can play full back. 

Matip out before Joe methinks.

Aw, ok.

Agreed although I think Van Dijk has been very poor this season. I'd keep him around but I think his peak was '19/20 and it is not coming back.

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You can't overstate how big the rebuilding job is in midfield and at CB.

I think people absolutely are because we can't separate form and the general malaise from how a player will/can fit into the squad if there's a general improvement and the right signings.

7 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I think Virg hasn’t been right since that twat Pickford ruined his knee.

He hasn't looked right at all to me either, bad injury in fairness to him. I'm more concerned with about his attitude though. His arrogance and laissez-faire vibe is astounding at times this season. He used to be able to walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk. He is simply a decent CB now and not the rock-solid, world class CB we once had. 

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think people absolutely are because we can't separate form and the general malaise from how a player will/can fit into the squad if there's a general improvement.

I posted after Madrid that the club have a huge investment into a spine of Alisson-VvD-Henderson-Salah.

How can you fit those players now in a rebuild into what is accepted as Klopp's system?

I don't think Klopp wants to play another way.

As a former CB certainly he knows what the risk/reward is, I just don't think he cares about setting a team up not to get beat.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think people absolutely are because we can't separate form and the general malaise from how a player will/can fit into the squad if there's a general improvement and the right signings.

People generally overrate how many signings teams need. Let's say you hit on 3 players, one per line, you will absolutely improve.

I mean, players like Keita and Chamberlain don't even really need to be replaced, they don't do anything as is. Realistically, if we improve on Henderson, the current iteration of Fabinho and Matip, that will be enough for a summer.