You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

But why would Kimmich move to us? And why £90m? 

I don't think we're at the top table anymore.  We will overpay for 30+ year olds, or we will overpay for young players.  I think we may need to do a bit of both. 

EG Approach PSG for older or marginalized players like Verratti, Danilo, Paredes, even Wijnaldum. Overpay? Sure, a bit. 

Tuchel doesn't want Kimmich I believe, there were lots of noises about it. They also just spent a shit load on Kane. Kimmich has been at Bayern for years and surely Klopp has some credit in the bank with him given the German connection. 

I don't know though. I just think we need to do something left field. Kimmich isn't the profile we need but he is a quality addition who will actually be worth the money he is touted for. Then get a grock ball winner (or somebody with a bit more finesse like Kone) and hope Bajectic is a rolls royce.

In the long term Kimmich also helps us morph into a world where Trent plays in midfield full time.

I don't know why I do this to myself, we are bound to end up with Gini on loan for fucks sake, it's easier not caring.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

OK - neither has played a single minute as the lone holding midfielder in a three man midfield.

Caicedo played next to Mac Allister then Gros - Lavia was next to Ward Prowse every game.

Neither of those sides line up in a 433.

As I initially said, I fear we're heading towards a disagreement over what a 6 is. Did you consider Kante a 6?

40 minutes ago, Moo said:

He isn't capable of/doesn't want to do the dirty work.  He'd be a total luxury player there.

Cmon that's not true.  Christ we all saw him over in the left back position chasing a ball at one point.  We all wondered what the fuck he was doing there, but there he was, grafting. 

The big issue is the lack of a coherent plan that the players understand.  If we went back to 433 there would be players backing themselves more, and the 6 would just roam and chase down the ball.  Trent can do that.  

Klopp fucked up with the captaincy. Trent should be digging players out, Virgil especially, for not doing their running.  I think Trent is a young man looking for something to get his teeth into.  

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

As I initially said, I fear we're heading towards a disagreement over what a 6 is. Did you consider Kante a 6?

Sometimes - at the very least he is an example of a fella who at times has played as a single holding mid in a 433.

Back in the day he had the legend that is Danny Drinkwater next to him.

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Someone's answer to the Kante question is the preeminent determinant of football knowledge. Get it wrong and you, in fact, do not know ball.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

The club just feels like it has stagnated the last few years. They've ran the majority of the players into the ground and there's just a complete lack of imagination in anything that goes on there now. The only imagination is the different excuses to spend any money or be proactive about building a decent squad.

Complacency. There was a comment from people who work at the club before we signed Arthur - below. Another comment stands out when we were chasing Bellingham, along the lines of he has to choose us. I mean do we really think a hug from Klopp, his presence and shouting we are Liverpool will make up for a shortfall in wages offered. Us supporters can rightly basque and enjoy Klopps adventures he has given us,  but what we did in the last few years is behind us and other clubs, Everton aside are being run more efficiently. Even the poorest English clubs can financially outmuscle top Spanish and Italian teams. 

The owners have been around European football long enough to know football, their words back in 2010 "football is sort of like the wild west". You cant bleat about FFP and underhand shenanigans which i think are disgusting but they chose to enter this field. One other thing I'm not liking is this narrative building of blaming Klopp for some of these transfer messes. I'm struggling with the fact a 3-5 billion company run as an investment with experienced investors would allow one man  (Klopp) to choose how much is bid or how much wages is spent on player x. It makes no sense. 

“The people I know at Liverpool tell me the same thing every single year. Their aim at this stage of the window is to turn on Sky Sports News and laugh at all of the news from all of the other clubs, a lot of which they knew far in advance. Liverpool are very clued up and I don’t think they’re forced by injuries. If the right opportunity comes, we will wait and see.”

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Cmon that's not true.  Christ we all saw him over in the left back position chasing a ball at one point.  We all wondered what the fuck he was doing there, but there he was, grafting. 

The big issue is the lack of a coherent plan that the players understand.  If we went back to 433 there would be players backing themselves more, and the 6 would just roam and chase down the ball.  Trent can do that.  

Klopp fucked up with the captaincy. Trent should be digging players out, Virgil especially, for not doing their running.  I think Trent is a young man looking for something to get his teeth into.  

He was up and down that line for years like a machine, so I'm well aware he can and does graft. Dirty work isn't getting around the pitch and getting involved in everything, that's the fun stuff.  Dirty work is the positional, tactical and mental discipline to do a job for the team. To be switched on for 90 minutes, to watch the runners, to spend lengthy periods either off the ball or just simply recycling it.

It's not his game at all.