You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stefan Bajcetic

John102

37 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I can argue that it's too early to say on either of those facts.  Alonso played with Gerrard and other top class midfielders.  Just wait until Thiago gets his chance, instead of playing with shite.

He’s played in a side (when fit) that nearly won the quadruple, hardly been playing with mugs has he? 

That’s another aspect where Alonso pisses all over him, fitness. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He’s played in a side (when fit) that nearly won the quadruple, hardly been playing with mugs has he? 

That’s another aspect where Alonso pisses all over him, fitness. 

It’s also coming from the poster who laid into the other midfielders - Lucas and Sissoko - that Xabi played alongside, when he wasn’t laying into the manager he played under.

Pretty cheeky, all things considered.

2 hours ago, Wezza said:

This is great news, made up for the lad. There's always a fear at the back of your mind that the likes of Real would come sniffing around in the summer if he's still showing his potential in the summer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Where did I say he’s been playing in a youthful, competent, energetic midfield that he’ll always need???

Thiago is having to play in a team with a high line that presses (or portends to) press high. Xabi played in a pragmatic Rafa team where he would have been protected in a way. The system is important.

You could have put Thiago in Toni Kroos' place at Real Madrid and they'd have likely gotten a similar result. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago is having to play in a team with a high line that presses (or portends to) press high. Xabi played in a pragmatic Rafa team where he would have been protected in a way. The system is important.

You could have put Thiago in Toni Kroos' place at Real Madrid and they'd have likely gotten a similar result. 

Thiago doesn’t come close to Xabi no matter the system. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Thiago doesn’t come close to Xabi no matter the system. 

You can argue Alonso was a better player.

Doesn't come close is complete hyperbole. I'm not sure why you'd bring up the debate, then say it's not close. Not much point, then.

On 18/01/2023 at 19:26, lifetime fan said:

Not a chance. 

Defensively? Alonso

Physicality? Alonso

Tackling? Alonso

Suited to the Prem? Alonso

Goals? Alonso

Assists? Alonso

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Where do you think Thiago comes close? 

You’re right. It’s a pointless discussion. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Where do you think Thiago comes close? 

You’re right. It’s a pointless discussion. 

Alonso had an easier job tactically at Liverpool than Thiago does. Neither were at their best at Liverpool. I think that's important to mention, that's all. I did not write the words "Thiago is better than Alonso". Not sure why you're getting flustered.

I think they're both class acts.

On 27/01/2023 at 09:40, 3 Stacks said:

Alonso had an easier job tactically at Liverpool than Thiago does. Neither were at their best at Liverpool. I think that's important to mention, that's all. I did not write the words "Thiago is better than Alonso". Not sure why you're getting flustered.

I think they're both class acts.

Thiago is more mobile than Alonso was, particularly off the ball, although he is asked to be, which he wasn't previously, so who knows if Alonso could have made that adaptation, I think he would. They played completely different roles though. Xabi Alonso was a far more adventurous passer than Thiago, IMO Thiago's passing is particularly overrated, it's much easier to get high pass completion percentages when you rarely ever take risky passes.

I think Alonso could be the centre piece of your midfield, Alonso wasn't at his best at Liverpool, yet our midfield fell apart when he left. Thiago is a complimentary piece, who doesn't move the needle much if you don't already have a good setup around him IMO. Our midfield is rubbish right now and it would still be rubbish if he left. I don't think that would be the case if you put Alonso in there.

17 hours ago, Dundalis said:

Thiago is more mobile than Alonso was, particularly off the ball, although he is asked to be, which he wasn't previously, so who knows if Alonso could have made that adaptation, I think he would. They played completely different roles though. Xabi Alonso was a far more adventurous passer than Thiago, IMO Thiago's passing is particularly overrated, it's much easier to get high pass completion percentages when you rarely ever take risky passes.

Rarely ever take risky passes?

I've never a player take on passes like Thiago does! You make him sound like Joe Allen!

• 2 weeks later...