You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cody Gakpo - Welcome to Liverpool

Megadrive Man

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Fabinho on £180000 pw?! He cannot run!

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita combined earn more then van Dijk. I'm sure there is more shocking maths there...

On 28/12/2022 at 14:22, Code said:

Reminds me a bit about a cross between P.Kluivert/ M.Balotelli this guy when it comes to his technique, can only be magic. 

Let’s hope he has more than a disappearing act up his sleeve and he can stay away from the nunneries.

Liverpool have signed “a diamond” in the form of Netherlands international Cody Gakpo, according to AZ Alkmaar manager Pascal Jansen.

Cody Gakpo celebrates scoring a goal at the World Cup
Cody Gakpo celebrates scoring a goal at the World Cup© PA Images

The Reds confirmed on Wednesday that they had completed a deal to bring Gakpo to Anfield from PSV Eindhoven, subject to him being granted a work permit.

Gakpo has been in sensational form for PSV over the past couple of seasons and the 23-year-old started off this campaign in the Eredivisie with nine goals and 12 assists in 14 matches.

His brilliant form continued into the World Cup, where Gakpo scored three goals in his five appearances at the tournament in Qatar.

And Jansen, who knows Gakpo from his time working in the Netherlands, thinks Liverpool have hit the jackpot and reckons “he will amaze everyone”.

“Gakpo is a diamond,” Jansen told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I met him in the PSV Under-15s and already in the Academy he shone with his immense quality. At only 23 years old he was one of the stars of the Dutch league and in Qatar, with the national team, he was outstanding.

“At Klopp’s Liverpool he will amaze everyone: he can become a spectacular striker.”

With the rumoured transfer fee for Gakpo around an initial £37m, former Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson thinks Liverpool have got a bargain.

Robinson told Football Insider: “It’s a massive signing, especially when you consider the price. Liverpool have got a bargain when you compare it to other transfers. It is very good business.

“Look at his age, experience and ability. This is a player who will fit in very well at Liverpool.

“He has come in at a good time because there will be game time for him. He will not have to wait or battle it out because of the injuries. I think the injuries this year have forced their hand a little bit in all honesty.

“It is a real statement signing for me. Gakpo and [Mohammed] Kudus were the two young players who stood out at the World Cup for me. I’m sure Jurgen Klopp is over the moon.”

And now Liverpool could be set to follow up the signing of Gakpo by making a move for Chicago Fire youngster Jhon Duran, according to Italian journalist Raffaele Amato.

The Reds are understood to be ‘making concrete moves’ for the 19-year-old but their offer for the winger is currently ‘lower than Benfica’s’.

Major League Soccer side Chicago Fire are ‘aiming to collect €20m’ for Duran, who already has three caps for Colombia, and now Liverpool are weighing up whether they will meet Chicago’s asking price.

I saw him play a few times for PSV and really liked what I saw. Yeah it isn't as good a league as it was years ago, but like the Portuguese league, some of the best players in the world will come through it.

Thought he was excellent at the world cup.

Great age and seems like a really good lad as well. 

I'm very confident he will be a big success for us.

28 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Liverpool have signed “a diamond” in the form of Netherlands international Cody Gakpo, according to AZ Alkmaar manager Pascal Jansen.

Cody Gakpo celebrates scoring a goal at the World Cup
Cody Gakpo celebrates scoring a goal at the World Cup© PA Images

The Reds confirmed on Wednesday that they had completed a deal to bring Gakpo to Anfield from PSV Eindhoven, subject to him being granted a work permit.

Gakpo has been in sensational form for PSV over the past couple of seasons and the 23-year-old started off this campaign in the Eredivisie with nine goals and 12 assists in 14 matches.

His brilliant form continued into the World Cup, where Gakpo scored three goals in his five appearances at the tournament in Qatar.

And Jansen, who knows Gakpo from his time working in the Netherlands, thinks Liverpool have hit the jackpot and reckons “he will amaze everyone”.

“Gakpo is a diamond,” Jansen told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I met him in the PSV Under-15s and already in the Academy he shone with his immense quality. At only 23 years old he was one of the stars of the Dutch league and in Qatar, with the national team, he was outstanding.

“At Klopp’s Liverpool he will amaze everyone: he can become a spectacular striker.”

With the rumoured transfer fee for Gakpo around an initial £37m, former Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson thinks Liverpool have got a bargain.

Robinson told Football Insider: “It’s a massive signing, especially when you consider the price. Liverpool have got a bargain when you compare it to other transfers. It is very good business.

“Look at his age, experience and ability. This is a player who will fit in very well at Liverpool.

“He has come in at a good time because there will be game time for him. He will not have to wait or battle it out because of the injuries. I think the injuries this year have forced their hand a little bit in all honesty.

“It is a real statement signing for me. Gakpo and [Mohammed] Kudus were the two young players who stood out at the World Cup for me. I’m sure Jurgen Klopp is over the moon.”

And now Liverpool could be set to follow up the signing of Gakpo by making a move for Chicago Fire youngster Jhon Duran, according to Italian journalist Raffaele Amato.

The Reds are understood to be ‘making concrete moves’ for the 19-year-old but their offer for the winger is currently ‘lower than Benfica’s’.

Major League Soccer side Chicago Fire are ‘aiming to collect €20m’ for Duran, who already has three caps for Colombia, and now Liverpool are weighing up whether they will meet Chicago’s asking price.

Good to hear we’re looking at Duran too. I thought it’s be a case of ‘no mas’ once we’d the Gakpo deal completed.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Adrian – £58,000-a-week

Joe Gomez – £75,000-a-week

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain – £120,000-a-week

Naby Keita – £120,000-a-week

FearfulRevolvingAgama-max-1mb.gif

Just think, the club could pay another Salah with the money they get.