You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

I daresay if Nunez had been playing in the team Torres was, with Gerrard hitting first time passes into his runs, he'd have scored a hell of a lot more goals than he has.

Or Pippo Inzaghi would be looking nervously at his reputation for being offside being blitzed.

Every now and then Klopp gives away a little snippet in an interview that the ordinary supporter just wouldn't get. After the game tonight he mentioned Darwin kept Botman and Schar together. Just his presence meant Diaz had Livramento 1v1 and the same with Mo and Dan Burn. We had an xg of over 7, you don't get that if your centre forward isn't playing well. Frustrating as fuck watching him miss all those chances but there is a player there, I'm 100% convinced of that.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

Every now and then Klopp gives away a little snippet in an interview that the ordinary supporter just wouldn't get. After the game tonight he mentioned Darwin kept Botman and Schar together. Just his presence meant Diaz had Livramento 1v1 and the same with Mo and Dan Burn. We had an xg of over 7, you don't get that if your centre forward isn't playing well. Frustrating as fuck watching him miss all those chances but there is a player there, I'm 100% convinced of that.

Klopp knows football. Some of our so called fans who are dying to give him down the banks don't. 

On 31/12/2023 at 16:58, Red74 said:

https://x.com/andyha_/status/1741439007169409157?s=46

(anyone worked out how to get these to auto load again) 

They usually work fine unless there's something added to the link which needs deleting. With yours it's the question mark near the end and anything after it. Looks like the link in that tweet is down now anyway though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

It is totally fine to point this out when we dominate an opponent like we did, but if he doesnt pick up the goalscoring mantle when Salah goes, this sort of stuff will be pointless. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Klopp knows football. Some of our so called fans who are dying to give him down the banks don't. 

I think this is a total misconception. Darwin is undoubtedly a very useful player and gives us a different dimension. But fans are understandably growing increasingly frustrated at how bad he is in front of goal, his conversion rate of "big chances" for us is 21.3% (38 missed and 10 scored). There's no way to dress it up or spin it, that simply is not good enough and we all fear it will prove costly for us. I'd love nothing more for Darwin to turn into peak Henry in front of goal, we all want him to succeed.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It is totally fine to point this out when we dominate an opponent like we did, but if he doesnt pick up the goalscoring mantle when Salah goes, this sort of stuff will be pointless. 

He's part of us dominating, he obviously doing some things really well. Has to round the keeper like Jota for the one in the first half, that's just really bad.

4 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I think this is a total misconception. Darwin is undoubtedly a very useful player and gives us a different dimension. But fans are understandably growing increasingly frustrated at how bad he is in front of goal, his conversion rate of "big chances" for us is 21.3% (38 missed and 10 scored). There's no way to dress it up or spin it, that simply is not good enough and we all fear it will prove costly for us. I'd love nothing more for Darwin to turn into peak Henry in front of goal, we all want him to succeed.

We're top of the league, our top goalscorer has been Mo for years. He isn't prime Ronaldo but fuck me how can you not love him? We don't set up for a prolific number 9 and haven't ever under Klopp. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, No2 said:

Spot on this. Of course we all expect him to score more of his chances. When or if he does he’ll be one of the best in the world.

Still he’s already a very useful player. Also got a goal last match and an assist this tonight, easy to forget I guess.

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We're top of the league, our top goalscorer has been Mo for years. He isn't prime Ronaldo but fuck me how can you not love him? We don't set up for a prolific number 9 and haven't ever under Klopp. 

We've gone over this, but that's just nonsense. The only players in the league who can match the amount of chances he's had are Haaland, Salah and Nic Jackson. There is an obvious strategy to create chances for him and for him to create chances himself. He is simply not taking them.

And the reason we're top of the league is because we're fortunate to have 4 other forwards. If we had to rely on him more, we'd be down the table.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  We set up for many different ways of attacking, and using a number 9 is one.  Picture how many through balls big Darwin has had - the ones he usually smashes wide or at the keeper - and you will realise a number 9 is most certainly part of our armoury.

People being critical of his conversion rate are not necessarily people who "want him to fail" as you seem to be always arguing.

I would also say that Klopp went out of his way to praise Darwin after the game not necessarily because he was occupying the two centre-backs, but because he is protective of his player, and is a first class man manager.

He contributes.  He tries hard.  His finishing isn't good enough and has to improve if he is to stay here.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, razor said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  We set up for many different ways of attacking, and using a number 9 is one.  Picture how many through balls big Darwin has had - the ones he usually smashes wide or at the keeper - and you will realise a number 9 is most certainly part of our armoury.

People being critical of his conversion rate are not necessarily people who "want him to fail" as you seem to be always arguing.

I would also say that Klopp went out of his way to praise Darwin after the game not necessarily because he was occupying the two centre-backs, but because he is protective of his player, and is a first class man manager.

He contributes.  He tries hard.  His finishing isn't good enough and has to improve if he is to stay here.

That’s it right there - Klopp will move him IF he’s not getting what he wants. He’ll also be dropped if he’s fluffing chances - ultimately it’s in his hands. What the average fan thinks of him will be totally irrelevant. 

I do find the ‘people wanting him to fail’ line to super-pathetic, I’d only expect that on GOT - there’s not a red alive who’d be pissed off at him becoming a goal every 2 games striker. 

• Upvote 1

What's the difference between 'pathetic' & 'super-pathetic'?

FWIW, Nunez was really bugging me first half last night & he has to start doing much better with those one on ones. Much better second half and unlucky to come away without a goal.

He was back to doing what he did last season - blammers directly at the keeper. He needs to learn to be calmer in front of goal. The fact he's getting into those positions is a positive though. The goals just have to come eventually. 

20 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Crazy isn’t it, some people are able to see that missing four clear cut chances a game maybe isn’t a great attribute for a striker, but pointing that out makes us desperate for him to fail, somehow.

Actually, him missing chances is all part of our tactical setup, or something.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1